Possible POY in TVC

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by ShoeHorn »

If I had a vote it would be for Logan Maxfield. I believe Yates will win it though.
My top 10:
1. Logan Maxfield (Jr)- Athens
2. Naylan Yates (Sr) - Vinton County
3. Jake Speakman (Sr) - Vinton County
4. Isaiah Butcher (So) - Athens
5. Weston Baer (So) - Meigs
6. Dylan Mecum (Jr) - Alexander
7. Matt Simpson (Sr) - Wellston
8. Ethan Bohyer (Jr) - Nelsonville-York
9. Zach Bartum (Jr)- Meigs
10. Caleb Terry (So) - Alexander

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Logan Maxfield's value has usually been hustle, defense and rebounding ... Probably in that order ... but he has turned on the jets on the offensive end.

Last 7 games during the Bulldogs 7-game winning streak

vs RV 21 points (three treys)
vs Wellston 18 points
vs NY 21 points
vs Jackson 19 pts
vs Logan Elm 10 points
vs VC 10 points
vs Meigs 17 points

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

ShoeHorn wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:46 pm If I had a vote it would be for Logan Maxfield. I believe Yates will win it though.
My top 10:
I would have Justin Hines in that top 10 somewhere. Athens wouldn't be winning without him.
Heck, just based on talent, I'd pick Eli Chubb over some players on the list as well. A 6'4 player that can handle the ball, rebound and shoot three's? Those kind of kids don't grow on trees.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm Logan Maxfield's value has usually been hustle, defense and rebounding ... Probably in that order ... but he has turned on the jets on the offensive end.

Last 7 games during the Bulldogs 7-game winning streak

vs RV 21 points (three treys)
vs Wellston 18 points
vs NY 21 points
vs Jackson 19 pts
vs Logan Elm 10 points
vs VC 10 points
vs Meigs 17 points
With him being at the top of the key on Defense now, he is able to get down court for the fast break most generally after the trio of Hynes, Chubb and Butcher gets the rebound,they make that outlet pass and Maxfield can score in transition by finishing at the Rim through Contact, many times getting and 1s.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 pm
ShoeHorn wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:46 pm If I had a vote it would be for Logan Maxfield. I believe Yates will win it though.
My top 10:
I would have Justin Hines in that top 10 somewhere. Athens wouldn't be winning without him.
Heck, just based on talent, I'd pick Eli Chubb over some players on the list as well. A 6'4 player that can handle the ball, rebound and shoot three's? Those kind of kids don't grow on trees.
Those 2 just go out there and put work in every night. Blue collar players that are consistent at what they do.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

No dog in this fight but I've read 5 different names from Athens as potential POY's as well as mention of Coach Cozart as COY candidate. Their record is 10-9? I must be missing something.... :roll:

Maroon2018
Freshman Team

Post by Maroon2018 »

Freshman Nathaniel Massie from Fed Hock.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

g w mclintock wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am No dog in this fight but I've read 5 different names from Athens as potential POY's as well as mention of Coach Cozart as COY candidate. Their record is 10-9? I must be missing something.... :roll:
The record is definitely not Indicative of the team Athens is. They got off to a bad start trying to find their Identity, with 7 wins in a row now and 5 of those being on the Road against some Quality opponents I would say they have Found it. And again we aren't talking about Team of the Year we are talking about Player of the Year. As far as names being mentioned it seems to me that Maxfield is the Consensus representative from Athens. As far as names of top ten players in the TVC-Ohio I think looking at the total Statistics you would have Chubb, Hynes and Butcher all in the Discussion.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Despite some early season struggles and chemistry issues, Athens went from 3-9 to 10-9, that's not to shabby g w.

And take a look at the schedule ... The Bulldogs lost to Logan, Watterson, Warren, Logan, Vinton County, Gallia Academy ... Those pretty darn good teams.

Athens also has bad losses early at Marietta, at Alex, at Wellston.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 am Despite some early season struggles and chemistry issues, Athens went from 3-9 to 10-9, that's not to shabby g w.

And take a look at the schedule ... The Bulldogs lost to Logan, Watterson, Warren, Logan, Vinton County, Gallia Academy ... Those pretty darn good teams.

Athens also has bad losses early at Marietta, at Alex, at Wellston.
Exactly!!! Lost to Marietta by 2 at Marietta, lost by 1 to Wellston at Wellston and by 6 to Alex in the Alley. Should be looking at a 13-6 team right now and 16-6 to finish the regular season. But that's not how it works. What matters is how we are playing heading into The Tournament and that is FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:37 am
g w mclintock wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am No dog in this fight but I've read 5 different names from Athens as potential POY's as well as mention of Coach Cozart as COY candidate. Their record is 10-9? I must be missing something.... :roll:
The record is definitely not Indicative of the team Athens is. They got off to a bad start trying to find their Identity, with 7 wins in a row now and 5 of those being on the Road against some Quality opponents I would say they have Found it. And again we aren't talking about Team of the Year we are talking about Player of the Year. As far as names being mentioned it seems to me that Maxfield is the Consensus representative from Athens. As far as names of top ten players in the TVC-Ohio I think looking at the total Statistics you would have Chubb, Hynes and Butcher all in the Discussion.
So you are saying that Athens has 4 of "10 top players in the TVC-Ohio" plus Cozart (the player) and Cozart (the COY candidate)? I'm sure these are fine players and a competent coach but lets be realistic...

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

g w mclintock wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:55 am
VisionQuest wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:37 am
So you are saying that Athens has 4 of "10 top players in the TVC-Ohio" plus Cozart (the player) and Cozart (the COY candidate)? I'm sure these are fine players and a competent coach but lets be realistic...
I think Truth and Fiction made those statements about both Cozart's. I will definitely say Maxfield, Hynes, Chubb and Butcher in the top 10. Then again that's who I watch all season and somewhat familiar with their Stat lines and the Eye test. I would put them one on one against any of those mentioned in Shoehorns top ten and watch them go to Work. As far as the Coach I think he definitely needs to be in the discussion if they can win 10 in a row to finish out the season.

Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

Well if we’re going off of early season struggles, VC lost two starters basically before the season even started, then another a couple weeks in, started out 0-3 and losing to the last place team in the TVC, to winning a league championship.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Bigman83 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 am Well if we’re going off of early season struggles, VC lost two starters basically before the season even started, then another a couple weeks in, started out 0-3 and losing to the last place team in the TVC, to winning a league championship.
That is a very fair assessment and I have no problem with a Combs/Yates sweep of the post season awards. Very deserving.

But, if you want to break it down and compare just the two (Athens and Vinton) ... All that matters is 54-51. ;)

Athens is (7-0),(5-0 TVC-Ohio)
Vinton is (5-2),(3-1 TVC-Ohio) ... probably gonna be (4-3),(3-1) after VC plays Logan tonight

over the last three weeks.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Only thing I see with a POY going to Athens is.....the way they have been playing it is 4 to 5 guys doing well and it might be hard to just pick one of them.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 am
Bigman83 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 am Well if we’re going off of early season struggles, VC lost two starters basically before the season even started, then another a couple weeks in, started out 0-3 and losing to the last place team in the TVC, to winning a league championship.
That is a very fair assessment and I have no problem with a Combs/Yates sweep of the post season awards. Very deserving.

But, if you want to break it down and compare just the two (Athens and Vinton) ... All that matters is 54-51. ;)

Vinton is (5-2),(3-1 TVC-Ohio) ... probably gonna be (4-3),(3-1) after VC plays Logan tonight

What also matters is 73-62, and a league title. If player of the YEAR was over the last three weeks, it probably would go to someone from Athens. However this is over the course of the entire season. Also, Logan’s a very good team and if I’m right they beat Athens both times as well. One of VC’s losses in the past few weeks is to a very athletic & talented division 1 Chillicothe team. Then also to Athens which we split on the year. Tough schedule to end the year for the Vikings.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Bigman83 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 am

What also matters is 73-62, and a league title. If player of the YEAR was over the last three weeks, it probably would go to someone from Athens. However this is over the course of the entire season. Also, Logan’s a very good team and if I’m right they beat Athens both times as well. One of VC’s losses in the past few weeks is to a very athletic & talented division 1 Chillicothe team. Then also to Athens which we split on the year. Tough schedule to end the year for the Vikings.
Is Speakman a go Tonight? Or is it a game time decision?

Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:01 pm
Bigman83 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 am

Is Speakman a go Tonight? Or is it a game time decision?
Haven’t heard

Ski83
Riding the Bench

Post by Ski83 »

Based off what his mother said after the game last night, I will be surprised if we see Speakman on the court tonight. She said they didn't feel that it was a bone issue. She said he had a lot of pain any time he moved. Sounds muscular to me. I say, let him rest and be ready next Friday for Wellston and the tournament. He's a tough kid and I know how they feel about wanting to be on the court for every game. We will see when we get to Logan tonight.

Ski83
Riding the Bench

Post by Ski83 »

Vinton County has been really hit with the injury bug all season. I've been watching VC basketball for a lot of years. And can't remember a season when pretty much, the whole starting line up being sidelined at some point of the season. Bryce Damron is the only starter not to be sidelined this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”