Re: Gallia Academy @ Coal Grove

svac83
SE

Re: Re: Gallia Academy @ Coal Grove

Post by svac83 »

Coal grove had a great game plan. And hats off to them for a great game. They whipped us good. But as a blue devils fan we should not be surprised this happened. This is 3 straight game we have seen this defensive game plan and also on offense pretty much. Until the blue devils come to grips with it they are going to see it every night rest of way except for fairland game.

coal grove shot the ball well enough and limited turnovers and rebounded great. This is a product of not having Peck. To adjust they need to play carter more or some one else to post up. so they can go high low post and get cutters going to the basket on offense. On defense. Either need to play 2-4 match up against these teams or 1-3-1 extended. if not everyone who can is going to pull loveday out to 3 line and on defense triple or quadruple team him.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Geesh. I was way off based on the first outcome in which I thought CG could give them all they wanted. I didn’t expect this margin. Great win CG and enjoy your #1 seed.

CGFAN#1
Freshman Team

Post by CGFAN#1 »

Congrats on a Great win.
Fantastic team defense and rebounding. Selfless offensive play created great ball movement and many open shots.
Nice job by the Coaches as well.
Go Big Grove!

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Should be a wake up call for Blue Devils. Great game by Grove. I am afraid that this loss will greatly impact sectional seeding. Doesn't get any easier Friday as South Point comes to Centenary.

Padrino_Azul ☠️
Waterboy

Post by Padrino_Azul ☠️ »

Tough loss. Will definitely affect their seeding. This is gut check time for the Blue . Put this behind you and get ready for south point. As far as rotation and who should be playing, at this time of the year the players have already sorted that out themselves. The coaches are at practice every day and they will put out on the floor who they think will help win the ball game . Fans need to stay behind the ball club and support them . No need bringing up someone who CHOSE to not be apart of this team . Go Blue, get south point !

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Padrino_Azul ☠️ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 am Tough loss. Will definitely affect their seeding. This is gut check time for the Blue . Put this behind you and get ready for south point. As far as rotation and who should be playing, at this time of the year the players have already sorted that out themselves. The coaches are at practice every day and they will put out on the floor who they think will help win the ball game . Fans need to stay behind the ball club and support them . No need bringing up someone who CHOSE to not be apart of this team . Go Blue, get south point !
Agreed! While The Blue miss (I think) Peck, they must and will move on. While I am not a coach, I think coach must alter game plan at some point, depending on opponent. No adjustments were made vs Grove. Blue were outplayed.😢

Loveday always seems out of position especially on rebound opportunities.

Padrino_Azul ☠️
Waterboy

Yes sir. It is the Head Coach’s responsibility to make adjustments when the time comes. All the real good ones door . Time to see what we have on the sidelines , the players are there, no excuses, get it done . GO BLUE!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I saw several adjustments last night. They were way to late and not nessarily the right ones. As far as playing time goes. Playing time is all about matchups. Last night the way coal grove played you needed a kid that could play the high post. The only kid on that bench that I could see play it well was carter. The Blue Devils has more turnovers then baskets in first half and had more missed 3 Point shots in first half then points.

I actually believe loveday should of been pulled from game last night for a while until you got back into the game. Coal grove had you down 8 if you played zone they were going to be content to run clock. So they played man all 5 players beyond 3 Point line and during some of the game all beyond the foul line. There is no help defense in that situation and against a team that small made loveday a defensive liability.

If ironton could of shot the ball better you would of been in same situation. Portsmouth was never able to get lead so the Blue Devils were able to play zone but during first quarter you have saw plan was the same.

The last 3 games we have had teams produce a game plan that basically elongates loveday and they are saying the rest of you need to beat us. Ironton shut him out he got 14 against Portsmouth but 6 of those meaningless in 4th quarter he only had 4 or 6 last night.

And for those of you who said I shouldn’t bring up Peck you are crazy. We are not talking about why he is not there would be no different if he broke a foot and was setting on bench or had not made grades or anything.

The Point just was a second post player would relieve the problem and allow you to get back to your offense or move loveday to high post with cutters.

It is not knew to us it is the same offense we played every game last year when Peck got in foul trouble and carter played a ton in those games.

He didn’t get the playing time this year because of first the broken nose and then teams played against us were we were better off playing the 4 smalls is all.

This team has the kids to play any style. Last night they were stubborn and didn’t we will see what Friday night holds

Padrino_Azul ☠️
Waterboy

He played a ton ? Did he letter ? I don’t remember him playing a ton . I honestly don’t know if he lettered. Do you ? I would definitely try him , they had high hopes for him coming into the season . Maybe injury slowed him down . I don’t know, he certainly has a chance to be a good player.

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

I called this one. Gallia is a little overrated. I watched the Grove give my Dragons a game for a half and I knew that they would be a match-up problem for the Devils. Congrats to the Grove on a statement win. Big Blue needs to regroup and get back to what they do well.

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

I agree this probably cost Gallipolis to drop in seeding which only time will tell on how that ends up. Every now and again it’s a better matchup That being said if the Blue Devils play like they did last night in the sectional they will be one and done. This is no cupcake sectional and anyone looking at just records then that team will not be moving on. Go Blue

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

The Blue Devils had a bad game shooting the basketball it wasn’t so much Coal Grove as it was themselves not able to knock down open shots. I have seen this happen a lot over the years when teams come out and are cold and can’t buy a basket. They just need to forget this game and move on to the next. I not taking anything away from Coal Grove they are a very good team and won the game but I think sometimes when you beat a team by 25 to 30 points at home you sometimes take that team litely and you find yourself in a whole and can’t get out of it. Should be a learning tool to help get this team better.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

:arrow:
Last edited by 91blue14 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

This had nothing to do with kids needing help with their shooting. The whole team except for Call had a bad shooting night.

Padrino_Azul ☠️
Waterboy

Ellcessor is the last thing any kid on this team needs .

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

Whether or not the head coach works on shooting with the team I don’t know but I do know he was great scorer and shooter and I’m sure he can handle it. Bad night all around they know it so throw the tape in the garbage and get ready for SouthPoint Good teams bounce back and have short memories. Go Blue

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Talked to a guy long time ago he had a kid that was a scorer ! He always said D is great but if you can't score your not going to win !

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Padrino_Azul ☠️ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:22 pm He played a ton ? Did he letter ? I don’t remember him playing a ton . I honestly don’t know if he lettered. Do you ? I would definitely try him , they had high hopes for him coming into the season . Maybe injury slowed him down . I don’t know, he certainly has a chance to be a good player.
He played a ton in games peck had foul trouble especially during second half of season and especially anytime this team trailed. If you look at entire season know he did not play a ton. I dont even believe he dressed varsity to start last season. In games Peck could stay in game he played very little.

I agree blue devils had a bad shooting night and you will have those. But that does not excuse not making defensive adjustments and the horrible shot selections. They attempted more 3's in first half then probably any other entire game all season. And had almost zero penetration or cutters. I dont think this team is overrated but if they are not going to adapt to game situations they are. What sold me on this team was yes even though you have maybe 8 kids that should play a lot. But you have a ton of juniors and athletes on that bench. I mean why even have walker dress if your only going to give him a few minutes of mop up duty ever. He is a great shooter he should of least tried him when no one could of hit side of barn. You have a bunch of juniors on that bench that you could of sent in waves to chase and cause havoc.

I like Harrison and i support him and hope he is our coach for quite a while but Tuesday game was a poor coaching effort i thought. The loss and the margin doesn't really bother me. coming in i thought this was about a 18 win team i figured someone would get us. The effort didn't bother me but the execution was horrible.

go get them Friday devils.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I would have liked to see all 5 starters pulled from game at once. Just to shake things up a bit.
Not saying for the remainder of the game but long enough for them to think about it a little.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

The way they played was terrible! Move on you can't put a add in the paper! guard play needed! LOL

Return to “Boys Basketball”