Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Athens at Jackson: 1/30

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:33 am Just the 4th Q

Jackson was 2-for-5
Athens was 5-of-6
Thanks

Good luck to Athens the rest of the season.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 am
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 am
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 pm Why should they have won? Despite an early lead in the 1st and for a few sec late, Jackson didn't hold a lead the entire game. lol
Battled from being down all game and took the lead late in the 4th and had free throws to go up 4 with around 2 min or less left. I feel they should’ve won. Is that unfair or offensive somehow? I stated in the same post Athens earned it. Should’ve won at VC as well, but did not.
Despite the win, I didn't think Athens played particularly well. Butcher had been averaging 20+ game as a starter, but scored just 6 I think. Clock management was horrible. TWICE, with a lead and just under a minute to go, Athens fired up ill advised three's at the end of quarters instead of draining the clock and taking the last shot. BOTH times led to Jackson going to the free throw line with under 2 sec to go and shooting THREE free throws. Athens didn't shoot well from beyond the arc, usually they hit 4 or 5 three's per game, but drained just two I think by Chubb. And it's not like Athens was great from the free throw line either, the Dogs made just 13-of-20 ... From my perspective they should have won by 10-12 at least. Opinions on how games should go or did go are always in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Jackson was 12-of-17 from the charity stripe.
All good points. I was going to mention Butcher having the off night as far as scoring, I thought he played good defense with that big body in the paint and contested several shots. In last nights Case Hynes, Maxfield and Chubb all with nice point totals. As far as 3 pointers go the Biggest was Maxfields go ahead 3, although I agree it was ill advised because when he shot it Athens was only down by 2, Chubb had also chucked up a 3 right before that which was just off the mark and luckily we got the rebound. I would have liked to have seen the Coach call a TO there and draw up a good solid play in the Paint to Tie it. I guess it worked out but the Odds were Against Athens throwing up the 3s with around a minute left. Another good lesson and game to learn from. A win is a win!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

With young teams come learning experiences I guess. But clock management and free throws become vital the later in the season it gets. Have to execute, especially up in Logan where you see an uptick in competition.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

The mark of a team that now knows how to win. Not playing fantastic BUT still battling until......You win. At the end of the day individual stats are ok but hollow without the W. Fun team to watch BECAUSE they are moving without the ball and winning

Straightforward1
Waterboy

Post by Straightforward1 »

I think Athens finally found the right mix of players who work together and find the open man. When Athens was on a losing streak, certain players were going down jacking up shots and were not playing with teamwork. They've had the talent the whole season. It's good to see the guys working together to win.

Deez Nutz
Waterboy

Post by Deez Nutz »

Straightforward1 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:17 am I think Athens finally found the right mix of players who work together and find the open man. When Athens was on a losing streak, certain players were going down jacking up shots and were not playing with teamwork. They've had the talent the whole season. It's good to see the guys working together to win.
I bet that post won't last long. 93 gets annoyed when you speak of such things, even when they are factual. :mrgreen:

“Do you want to see bofa?” :mrgreen:

Return to “Boys Basketball”