SEOP

Portsmouth at Gallia Academy

Post by Geronimo »

Thoughts !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Portsmouth at Gallia Academy

Post by pfloyd »

I look for the Trojans to give the Gallia Academy boys a good basketball game ! the key will be if Portsmouth can limit their turnovers and get "shots on goal" ... looking forward to read the updates & trojandave rundown on this one tonight ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is coming off perhaps its best game of the year with a 79-53 win over South Point Friday night. The Trojans led 21-11 after 1 quarter and stayed consistently well ahead to push their record to 9-4 overall and 4-3 in the OVC. Daniel Jordan led PHS with 27 points. The Trojans had won at SP earlier this season 66-58 in OT.

As far as tonight's contest, the formula for the Trojans to be very competitive in this game is simple.......minimize turnovers. This has been a problem at times for PHS, and it has cost them at least a couple of wins because of it. When the Trojans take care of the orange, they can play some really good basketball and take on the look of a team that could play with about anybody. When they make close to 20 turnovers a game, they look very beatable. Even with the turnover situation, 3 of Portsmouth's 4 losses have been by single digits.

Obviously, keeping the Blue Devils' Loveday away from the basket is of critical importance at both ends of the floor. GAHS does the ability to score from the perimeter which will make Portsmouth's defensive game plan a more difficult task. Gallia Academy has adjusted without Peck in the lineup and will be playing in front of what should be a big crowd. It will be a tall order for the Trojans to come away with a win, but it is possible if they take care of the ball. It will be interesting to see which team pushes the tempo.

A win tonight by the Trojans will be the 85th time in which a Trojan team has won at least 10 games in a season.

I won't be able to post after the game, maybe biggdowgg can help me out with any recap.

GO TROJANS!!
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Coach Collins said on the radio ,he told his kids they are playingva great team with only one loss and also has a 7 footer ,then said,lets go in and get an upset!!!

What I like about coach Collins ,he has all the confidence in this team in the world,he expects them to win,every year he has coached the first thing he says in his first interview of the year,is ...our goal is to get back to Columbus !

Always live going to gallia ,its always a battle and love their facility ,they have a very special team this year so it will be tough,but it will be fun.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Always love to hear Coach Collins say that the goal at Portsmouth is to get to Columbus. Being a Trojan himself, he knows and embraces the tradition and expectations that come with being the "Coach of the Trojans".

Sure hope the gym isn't too hot.......biggdowgg doesn't like hot gyms....... :D

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Im wearing shorts tonight :)

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

do you thing we will try to take the ball inside and get the big in some foul trouble.Just another great meeting between these two, Lets Go Trojans!!

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

I think this will be a heck of a game Portsmouth will be a big challenge for the Blue Devils but I thing Loveday and company will be a little too much for the Trojans. The Blue Devils proved last night against Ironton they are more than a one man team and they have players on their bench who can step up when needed. Thomas played a heck of game last night and I thought was player of the game. This Blue Devil team has a lot of roll players that fill their rolls and help this team win games. Yes the stands should be packed and Blue Devils Fans need to fill the gym and support this team 13 and 1 on the season and by far the best team in years at Gallia Academy.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

In the words of Prince Trojan, may our Trojan warriors scrounge every morsel of MOJO and JUJU in their quest to bring home a victory in the land of Gaul.

Go Trojans!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Hard to believe season 2/3 of way over. But to me this is still like the Blue Devils getting there feet under them. But all the games together is helping them to get in a rhythm.

It seems to me the Blue devils figure out there roll with Peck gone a little more each night. And get so they are getting quality support work every night.

Hopefully tonight another step forward. 2 games with Portsmouth, 1 with south Point, coal grove on the road and the rematch with fairland. The last 8 games will provide plenty of challenges to get this team ready for post season.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia Academy 7 Portsmouth 2 5:09in first

Loveday with a impressive drive from top of key for a slam

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia Academy 19
Portsmouth 19 end of 1

Blue devil 5 turnovers Portsmouth 1

Tough match up for loveday on defensive end so far

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia Academy 36
Portsmouth 23 at half

Blue devils went zone 2nd quarter Portsmouth to fast for them in man extende beyond the 3 Point line.

Loveday sat the last 3:43 of half with 2 fouls.
Blue devils like 1-4 from charity stripe. Are like 5-6 from. 3 Point land. Wiseman has 12 points. Mccellend 9 Blouir 5 call 4 loveday 4 and Henry 2

Turnovers about even now.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia Academy 58
Portsmouth 33 after 3

Turnovers killed Portsmouth this quarter. They started the quarter attacking the zone much better and had disrupted blue devil offense with press. Had cut lead in half then turnovers

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Thanks for updates.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia Academy 76
Portsmouth 50 a final.

Could be an entire different story at Portsmouth. In 2nd quarter when blue devils went to zone Portsmouth chucked too many 3’s then the turnovers in 3rd gave them no shot.

When blue devils operate on offensive end the way they did tonight and it gets a little better every night they are very good. Loveday and wiseman had 14 a piece, Blouir and mccellend 12 each. Call had 9. Henry added 7 or 8.

I can see where if Portsmouth sticks to there game plan and doesn’t turn it over they would be very tough

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

svac83 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:19 pm Gallia Academy 76
Portsmouth 50 a final.

Could be an entire different story at Portsmouth. In 2nd quarter when blue devils went to zone Portsmouth chucked too many 3’s then the turnovers in 3rd gave them no shot.

When blue devils operate on offensive end the way they did tonight and it gets a little better every night they are very good. Loveday and wiseman had 14 a piece, Blouir and mccellend 12 each. Call had 9. Henry added 7 or 8.

I can see where if Portsmouth sticks to there game plan and doesn’t turn it over they would be very tough
Agreed!

Padrino_Azul ☠️
Waterboy

Post by Padrino_Azul ☠️ »

Gallipolis looked very good tonight . Moved the ball , shot it well . P-town played hard , to many turnovers , they are well coached . Good showing for the blue and coaches .

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

Complete game. I’m guessing four if not five guys in double figures. Everybody contributed. Good defense and nice transition basketball.

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

Wish the OVC was a better league than it is right now. Fairland and Gallia are the class of the league no doubt. Fairland has beefed up its non conference slate while Gallia tried to I think with the addition of Athens but they turned out to be a bust. I just hope the weakness of the schedule doesn't hurt the Big Blue in tournament. At least we will get a high seed which will help us get to Athens anyway.

Return to “Boys Basketball”