HOF COACHES

VisionQuest
All State

HOF COACHES

Post by VisionQuest »

Interested in feedback about those Coaches in the area that are in a class by themselves. Combs from VC, Maddox from Warren, Persin from Oak Hill to name a few. I want POSITIVE feedback from players, former players, assistants, etc. about what these Coaches do that Sets them Apart. Also please add to this list of names of who you believe to be Hall Of Fame Coaches from the area past and present and why they should be in the Discussion. Thank you.

Cut-n-Runner
Waterboy

Re: HOF COACHES

Post by Cut-n-Runner »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:26 pm Interested in feedback about those Coaches in the area that are in a class by themselves. Combs from VC, Maddox from Warren, Persin from Oak Hill to name a few. I want POSITIVE feedback from players, former players, assistants, etc. about what these Coaches do that Sets them Apart. Also please add to this list of names of who you believe to be Hall Of Fame Coaches from the area past and present and why they should be in the Discussion. Thank you.
Howie Chadwell - Trimble via Federal Hocking via eastern via Southern

The man can flat coach. He has won everywhere he has been. he was an assistant on the racine teams that were almost champions. Plus, from what I hear, he is an innovator. he invented such tactics as the stomp and the stare.

Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

Cut-n-Runner wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:35 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:26 pm Interested in feedback about those Coaches in the area that are in a class by themselves. Combs from VC, Maddox from Warren, Persin from Oak Hill to name a few. I want POSITIVE feedback from players, former players, assistants, etc. about what these Coaches do that Sets them Apart. Also please add to this list of names of who you believe to be Hall Of Fame Coaches from the area past and present and why they should be in the Discussion. Thank you.

The man can flat coach. He has won everywhere he has been. he was an assistant on the racine teams that were almost champions. Plus, from what I hear, he is an innovator. he invented such tactics as the stomp and the stare.
Yea, but his son Jimmie just handed him has aszz, so shouldn't he too be mentioned as a possible inductee?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Let's try to keep this positive. I don't need to hear about comparisons to other coaches or negativity toward other coaches. Give me some examples of what these coaches do besides Win, what that sets them apart? What do they preach? How do they game plan? What do they do to get the most from every player? That kind of stuff is what I am looking for. 1st hand knowledge from former or current players, assistants or relation etc is appreciated.

BuckNut1993
Waterboy

Post by BuckNut1993 »

Joe Butcher from Federal Hocking.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

BuckNut1993 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:59 pm Joe Butcher from Federal Hocking.
Why???

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

How about Eugene Collins at Portsmouth? Why does he get so little publicity in comparison to so many others mentioned? He coaches at the most decorated program in the history of the SE district, brought the Trojans back from the first losing decade in school history (2000-2009). Immediately in the 2009-2010 season he guided PHS to a 12-7 record, then followed that with 2 consecutive Final 4 appearances in 2011 and 2012. The 2012 team was the last school in the SE district to win a game in the Final 4, finishing state runnerup to Summit Country Day. He also led the Trojans to the 2014 district final and the 2015 regional final. In addition he has 5 sectional titles to his credit,and has been named the D3 Ohio Coach of the Year in 2012, the SEOAL Coach of the Year, and the OVC Coach of the Year. His overall record to date is 147-60 in this his 9th year.

For this decade (2010-present), Collins has the best tournament resume of any coach in the SE district. Yet his name seems to be on the second page of outstanding coaches in the SE district when this topic comes up.

Other outstanding Trojan coaches who won state titles at Portsmouth.........George Heller (1961 Class AA state champions--overall record 224-137), Dick Hopkins (1978 Class AA state champions--overall record 101-34), Joe Suboticki (1988 D2 State Champions--overall record 94-11 in only 4 years!!).....others worth mentioning.......Tom Smith (108-35, 1982-1987), Red Hopkins (168-58, 1926-1936, 1931 Class AA state champions).
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

I don’t know their records or anything of that sort but Ironton’s LaFon and Chesapeake’s Davis each have state appearances. Could be worthy nominations

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Beucler of Eastern Brown has taken at least 2 teams to the final four, Not sure about Barrick ,but; he can control a game.Collins at PHS knows the game and is a great motivator, Coach Arey at Tiny Peebles has had two Regional teams ( losses to Afrocentric, and Harvest prep), many District births, and a record going into this year of I think 150-wins and 37 losses. All in his short tenure at Peebles High School. He is learning by coaching against great coaches Barrick,Beuchler,Collins. I believe he has a very bright future being so young.He started coaching in I think 2009.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

My god vision quest you are almost getting to O&B status.

I say Combs bc he gets 100% out of every kid. He takes an average player, puts them in the right spots and get productivity. Other than that, probably Cadillac Kline from NY. Won the TVC in 1997 and made a strong chase for it every year after that.

If you ain't first, you're last!
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If I had one game to win, at the convo, for a district title ... I'd want Maddox on the sideline.

If I were an AD and needed a head coach to run my program, mentor my kids - and win games along the way - Howie would be the first guy I'd call.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... in the many years that I have been ranking teams/traveling the SouthEast district, I have had the privilege to watch LOTS of basketball from the cheap seats ... I have grown to respect those coaches who in my opinion "do it right" - they start with fundamentals EVERY player from the good to the best learns, plays with solid fundamentals ... when I walk into a gym to watch games, I watch the warm-ups , I look for the bounce passing the true chest pass ... those simple things tell me that "this" team, "this" coach teaches fundamentals ... physical/bodying up defense without hands, lateral movement - move your feet defense , man to man defense - you can't play a good zone if your kids don't have a solid grasp of man to man principles ... my list of coaches that I respect as the best of the best do these things ! they are not only coaches but teachers of the game of basketball :

Coach Maddox, Mitchem, Coffman, Colgrove, Rod Padgitt (from the head man to the MS coach where everything begins) ... Warren
Coach Stiverson, Holbert, Dropsey ... Logan Elm
Coach Combs, Kight, Carpenter, Yates ... Vinton County
Coach Persin ... Oak Hill
Coach Collins ... Portsmouth
Coach Barrick ... Eastern Pike
Coach Howie Caldwell ... Trimble
Coach Davis ... Chesapeake
Coach Buecler ... Eastern Brown
Coach Eversole, Goodyear, Helber ... Fairfield Union
Coach Hoops , Easterday, Roll, Bruce ... Unioto
Coach Huffer, Beard ... Chillicothe
Coach Kellough ... Zane Trace
Coach Rider, Bell, Walsh ... Logan
Coach Morrow ... Jackson
Coach Fitch ... Western Pike
Coach Speed, Coach Salyers ... Fairland

... if you want to learn the game of basketball - go watch these coaches & their staffs - I have so much respect for the job they do courtside in teaching the game, developing players and turning out quality individuals ... fundamentals, defense , TEAM - the game taught right ... HOF'ers ALL in my book of the Best of the Best ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Some great insight. Thank you.

justindavis
Waterboy

Post by justindavis »

Coach Dave Young-North Adams
Over 400 wins
1 Final Four appearance
2 20-0 season.
Double digit league and sectional titles.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Travis Wise- South Point....Great Coach who gets the most out of what talent he has...He's teams may come in a game undersized but they play hard and are well Coached by him and his staff...Attitudes in players are swiftly directed towards the pine! Winning with class is Mr. Wise standards... Hall of fame in my book.....

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Joe Garett Belpre HS has got to be in the list. In 8 years he led Belpre to 3 Ohio Boys DIII Final 4 appearances with 3 different teams. 1993, 1997 and 2001. The 1997 team devastated with injuries though out the season went on a 6 game tournament tear winning the District and Regional titles. Year in and year out Belpre was one of SE Ohio’s best programs during his tenure with the Golden Eagles 🦅
Garrett after leaving Belpre returned to coaching and led the Parkersburg Catholic Crusaders to the 2010 WV Boys Class A State Championship.

DUNKONE
Waterboy

Post by DUNKONE »

Cut-n-Runner wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I am flattered that you guys have mentioned howie. Don’t forget his son over in Racine who is doing some very awesome things

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

I have to echo Warrior Blue's post on Joe Garrett. I have tremendous respect for him and all he did in his hometown of Belpre. Coaching against Joe was always a tremendous challenge. He knew how to use his players and he did it with much class and integrity. When we scouted Belpre you would come away with pages of material. They may run 3 sets on one possession to get what they wanted. You were not going to sneak up on Coach Garrett as he was always prepared and knew exactly what he wanted to accomplish. I admired what Coach did and I must admit that I stole some of his material to use in our own program.

Coach Garrett is another shining example of what a leader can mean to a school and to a community. These type of men are a dying breed and I consider myself lucky to have known and competed against Coach Garrett for many years.

Coach Duckworth

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 pm ... in the many years that I have been ranking teams/traveling the SouthEast district, I have had the privilege to watch LOTS of basketball from the cheap seats ... I have grown to respect those coaches who in my opinion "do it right" - they start with fundamentals EVERY player from the good to the best learns, plays with solid fundamentals ... when I walk into a gym to watch games, I watch the warm-ups , I look for the bounce passing the true chest pass ... those simple things tell me that "this" team, "this" coach teaches fundamentals ... physical/bodying up defense without hands, lateral movement - move your feet defense , man to man defense - you can't play a good zone if your kids don't have a solid grasp of man to man principles ... my list of coaches that I respect as the best of the best do these things ! they are not only coaches but teachers of the game of basketball :

Coach Maddox, Mitchem, Coffman, Colgrove, Rod Padgitt (from the head man to the MS coach where everything begins) ... Warren
Coach Morrow ... Jackson

... if you want to learn the game of basketball - go watch these coaches & their staffs - I have so much respect for the job they do courtside in teaching the game, developing players and turning out quality individuals ... fundamentals, defense , TEAM - the game taught right ... HOF'ers ALL in my book of the Best of the Best ...
The next tier in my mind are Davis ,

Excellent list as alway Pfloyd!

After watching basketball in this areas for 40+ years , I believe Coach Persin at oak hill is in a class by himself .

After that, Stiverson, Caldwell, combs, and beucler come to mind . I have only seen Maddox cosch a couple games. You can’t argue with Barrick’s success, but I have never enjoyed watching his teams play on the offensive end.

The next group for me would include Davis , Fitch, Arey, hoops, and speed. Fitch has already had an impact at western in spite of losing a lot of talent off of the 2016.2017 Indian team to graduation and two very good transfers (Perdue to piketon and Dunn to Waverly ). I noticed His teams when at eastern were always top notch even when they were not the most talented. They played very hard and did things the right way. In my opinion, that is the mark of a great coach.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Truth Serum wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 am
pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 pm ... in the many years that I have been ranking teams/traveling the SouthEast district, I have had the privilege to watch LOTS of basketball from the cheap seats ... I have grown to respect those coaches who in my opinion "do it right" - they start with fundamentals EVERY player from the good to the best learns, plays with solid fundamentals ... when I walk into a gym to watch games, I watch the warm-ups , I look for the bounce passing the true chest pass ... those simple things tell me that "this" team, "this" coach teaches fundamentals ... physical/bodying up defense without hands, lateral movement - move your feet defense , man to man defense - you can't play a good zone if your kids don't have a solid grasp of man to man principles ... my list of coaches that I respect as the best of the best do these things ! they are not only coaches but teachers of the game of basketball :

Coach Morrow ... Jackson

The next tier in my mind are Davis ,

Excellent list as alway Pfloyd!

After watching basketball in this areas for 40+ years , I believe coach Persin at oak hill is in a class by himself .

After that, stiverson, Caldwell, combs, and beucler come to mind . I have only seen Maddox cosch a couple games. You can’t argue with Barrick’s success, but I have never enjoyed watching his teams play on the offensive end.

The next group for me would include Davis , Fitch, Arey, hoops, and speed. Fitch has already had an impact at western in spite of losing a lot of talent off of the 2016.2017 Indian team from graduation and two very good transfers (Perdue to piketon and Dunn to Waverly ). I noticed His teams when at eastern were always top notch even when they were not the most talented. They played very hard and did things the right way. In my opinion, that is the mark of a great coach.
Agree Truth Serum. Molding a competitive team out of your available talent is in my opinion the measure of a coach.

Return to “Boys Basketball”