New Boston vs South Webster 12/30

art_vandelay
SE

Re: New Boston vs South Webster 12/30

Post by art_vandelay »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 pm Principal at SWHS.

He has a son. Still in Elementary—- 5th grade? Not sure.

But he has the pull up 3.
And also looks like he's gonna end up about 6'6-6'8" like Brett. I remember that Whiteoak game and it seemed like Webster had numerous chances in last 2 minutes to win the game but ended up falling 1 point short.

As far as Convo history before then, HUGE difference from going from one of the smallest D3 schools in District to one of the biggest D4 schools. Jeeps lost at Convo in '91 by 1 point to eventual state runner-up Unioto on a buzzer-beater and in '94 to Minford (blew an 8 point lead with 2 minutes left).*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:02 pm

And also looks like he's gonna end up about 6'6-6'8" like Brett. I remember that Whiteoak game and it seemed like Webster had numerous chances in last 2 minutes to win the game but ended up falling 1 point short.

As far as Convo history before then, HUGE difference from going from one of the smallest D3 schools in District to one of the biggest D4 schools. Jeeps lost at Convo in '91 by 1 point to eventual state runner-up Unioto on a buzzer-beater and in '94 to Minford (blew an 8 point lead with 2 minutes left).*
Great info Vandelay, I always forget about that Minford game when thinking of the Jeeps Convo history. To this day I have to wonder “what could of been” if the Jeeps beat Unioto that year!

Also, isn’t is crazy to think of South Webster in the same division as Unioto?!? Unioto is a comfortable D2 school, South Webster is a comfortable D4 school. Hard to imagine them being in the same division!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:06 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Great info Vandelay, I always forget about that Minford game when thinking of the Jeeps Convo history. To this day I have to wonder “what could of been” if the Jeeps beat Unioto that year!

Also, isn’t is crazy to think of South Webster in the same division as Unioto?!? Unioto is a comfortable D2 school, South Webster is a comfortable D4 school. Hard to imagine them being in the same division!
Here's something crazier, only Crooksville and Chesapeake are in the same division between the teams Unioto played during that run. McNicholas and Zane Trace have moved up, while SW, Shenandoah, and Wayne Trace have moved down...and Bedford Chanel is closed lol

You can also look at the state rankings from that year and I believe that Hilliard was D2...now they have 3 huge D1 schools. Times sure have changed.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Brett Can still dunk on anybody out there I've seen it first hand many times.

If we're talking about South Webster legends kids coming up, I'm fairly certain someone told me Justin Lower has a boy in Jr High?? Is that correct?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Swanker Pine wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 pm Brett Can still dunk on anybody out there I've seen it first hand many times.

If we're talking about South Webster legends kids coming up, I'm fairly certain someone told me Justin Lower has a boy in Jr High?? Is that correct?
That's correct. 7th grader

Making offers you can't refuse
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm Back to this game — sorry for getting side tracked.

I think it’s a great test for both teams. I don’t want to pick a winner, but I do think it’ll be close either way. Just like any game against SW the question will be - can they stop/limit Blevins? And how? That’s no easy task, he is a heck of a player.

On the flip side, how does SW stop Conley? He is one of the better D4 guards in this area.
I think when Conley gets by his guy on the perimeter and gets towards the basket...you have to be long and in the way and make him finish, don’t foul him...he ain’t missing.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

That 94 Minford team upset Wheelersburg in the District Finals which ushered in the Tom Barrick era at Wheelersburg

South Webster should have played Valley at the Convo with Brian Baer but Minford upset Valley by 20 in the Sectional Finals.

Webster up 8 —- 2:00 to go. Only took 1 FT last 2 minutes. And either 1 or 0 FG were attempted and none made by The Jeeps. It was the weirdest 2:00 I ever witnessed. South Webster had Minford dead and let them off the hook. Minford made 0 3s during the 2:00. That was Rick Bowman’s last game as SW coach.

bbjunky: Not only does pfloyd rank us as 5th best but we might have the 6th or 7th Best Record at Draw Time And with absolutely no league affiliation or partners in the same group I don’t look for The Jeeps to be given any favors.

artvandelay—- New Boston’s 2-3 is different than Notre Dames and ND 2-3 worked a lot better in the 3rd when Blevins had been boarded against the stage on a breakaway. He played very little in the 3rd quarter and Webster struggled for a stretch and ND realized they had a chance and got fired up and it made for an interesting finish. Eastern attacked New Boston’s zone with 2 posts and since I don’t think Webster will attack it the same —- that 2-3 might look different Saturday Night. The zone helps keep the aggressive Tigers out of Foul Trouble I assume because I would love to see what they could do if they played aggressive, smart man to man. Some serious athletes.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
REFEREE11
Riding the Bench

Post by REFEREE11 »

This will be a good one! I am going with Webster!

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

The printed SW wallet schedules say this is at South Webster. I recieved 1 email from ArbiterSports saying at SW and 1 saying it is at NB. Sounds like there may have been some early schedule change and someone forgot to delete one, lol. hey, meet in the middle and play at East.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Jeep-ster wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 am The printed SW wallet schedules say this is at South Webster. I recieved 1 email from ArbiterSports saying at SW and 1 saying it is at NB. Sounds like there may have been some early schedule change and someone forgot to delete one, lol. hey, meet in the middle and play at East.
LOL anywhere but East! Would rather play on an outdoor court in zero degree weather

Making offers you can't refuse
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Not sure all 10 starters will fit in the gym if they played at east 😂

B-ball-fan
Riding the Bench

Post by B-ball-fan »

If Webster attacks the bucket, they will win. New Boston has a tendency to foul. So NB runs a 2-3 SW should run their high-low or Blevins at the free throw line. Webster on a last second shot by Coriell.

In youth we learn. In age we understand.
Wholly_Shnikeys
Riding the Bench

Post by Wholly_Shnikeys »

B-ball-fan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:53 pm If Webster attacks the bucket, they will win. New Boston has a tendency to foul. So NB runs a 2-3 SW should run their high-low or Blevins at the free throw line. Webster on a last second shot by Coriell.
Thanks for the insight, strategy, and X’s & O’s Digger Phelps... we’re all now capable of dismantling the 2-3 zone and this info will probably force it into extinction from the game of basketball. Crap! My tigers will have to insert a new defensive scheme at the shoot-a-round tomorrow now so that they have a chance in this one.

The real truth behind this is that the jeeps should be more worried about the 2-3 than the tigers... let’s be honest, not too many teams I’ve ever seen play the 2-3 with the length and aggression that the tigers do. The one exception in the game of basketball might be Syracuse... But if you ask me Jim Boeheim should be giving Cox a call to gain some knowledge of the game. This cat is a guru.

Onto the game... Tiger pride is back and alive. It’s for real this time. Only downside to this historic rejuvenation is that we aren’t playing in the old tiger den... if that were the case then the opposing teams shouldn’t even get on the bus given our run & gun onslaught that we wear them down with. But since this is in the new DEN then the jeeps have a fighters chance. We’ve all seen the little giants and braveheart, so at least Hollywood won’t count the jeeps out in this one.

I’ll take my Glenwood squad by 15 with the score not reflecting the story of the game. I’ll say this, SWs coach has those guys playing hard nose ball and they have a lot of pride over there. So Icould definitely see a close game if the stars align.

To my NB faithful: I’ve heard rumblings of a pep rally this evening? Where at? One of my buddies said something about a hog roast by planet fitness with free Hickies, music by Marty and the boys from Automania, and Cox with a Knute Rockne “esk” speech to fire up the community? Any truth to this? PM me if so.

Tigers by 15*

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

😂😂😂 this guy ^

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

The game tonight has been postponed.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Will this game be rescheduled? I would imagine there's interest in both schools to reschedule it. Good gate and a good D4 test for both opponents.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

JEEPNATION wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:59 pm Good D4 test for my Jeeps! New Boston seems improved but they have absolutely no answer for Blevins!

Webster 55
New Boston 46
Notre Dame had no answer for Blevins and were within 2 in the 4th. I understand Blevins was out in the 3rd. New Boston is markedly better than ND. Don’t know who wins, but it’s likely to be a 1 possession game.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

He also coaches the 5th and 6th grade boys. His son is a 5th grader, tall and athletic and yes he has the pull up 3.

Return to “Boys Basketball”