Who will be the next Coach ay Wheelersburg?

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Re: Who will be the next Coach ay Wheelersburg?

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

bunt pirate wrote:
then what wrote:
KingoftheGame wrote: by KingoftheGame » June 13th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Is the pay different from SW to Burg? Is the talent that much of a draw? Not sure why Ater would make what appears to be a lateral move to another SOC school that he doesn't have ties to.
Its the BURG! enough said! just got word the boys went 3-0 at Marshall today!
See, I told you guys... Get the banners ready. If you're already drilling people in the summer then watch out!! I mean my goodness they're beating college teams, I know Marshall has been down but that's still quite an accomplishment. The SOC 2 should be scared of the storm that's about to hit pirate drive come December. Good work coach and players, keep it up. Anyone have stats from these shoutouts/scrimmages?
You Idiot. They were not playing college teams let alone beating them. They were playing AT Marshall. Not playing Marshall University
What you going to put on your banners? Hope it make more sence than the rest of your statement.

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

Post by bunt pirate »

What are we going to put on our banners?? Nothing other than a few state championships buddy. WE ARE THE BURG... Nothing else to say. We play for state championships. All others are just trying to keep pace. You'll find out soon when we beat your team white whiskers. You'd better recognize. Does that statement make enough SENSE for you? Have a nice day!

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

Not sure what butt pirate is talking about. They seem to be a little out of touch with how things are these days. I don't see any dominance happening any time soon

kingofthegame
Freshman Team

Post by kingofthegame »

ManitouDan wrote:
KingoftheGame wrote:Is the pay different from SW to Burg? Is the talent that much of a draw? Not sure why Ater would make what appears to be a lateral move to another SOC school that he doesn't have ties to.
lateral move ?? what are you smoking ?
Forgive me, I was raised in Lawrence Co. and I guess I'm somewhat on the outside looking in as to the prestige that comes with the Burg job. Considering they're in the same division of the same league, SW beat Burg twice last season and SW won a state championship in '06 and just missed a Final 4 trip, I guess I don't really see how going from SW to Burg is much more than a lateral move. Thus, I ask for some help on what is the difference in Burg and SW? Obviously, stating "enough said" and bragging about hypothetical banners doesn't really help the logical argument. Trust me, I have all the respect in the world for Ater and think he is an outstanding hire for Burg, but I'm not seeing the rationale in him leaving SW.

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

Maybe he left SW for the Burg, because it pays more and closer to where he lives.

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

Post by bunt pirate »

I have to somewhat agree with kingofthegame... And since he was raised in Lawrence county I'll put his statement into words that most will be able to understand. What he's saying is that SW has been better than Burg basketball over the past 10 years. It's hard to argue that statement unfortunately. With SW winning something in the ballpark of 6-7 district titles in that time frame, a few soc 2 titles as the only d4 team in soc2, and a couple trips to the state tourney including the state title of '06. Those are the "arguments" of the before mentioned "lateral move." Some would also say that sw basketball is always #1 there, while it seems burg basketball is now playing "3rd fiddle" to football (as always) and now baseball (back2back state champs). Well, those are definitely valid arguments... But... Things are about to change. Burg basketball on the rise. Ater must know something we don't know but I'm likin how the guys are playing thus far. And who cares about the more successful SW program when u can collect more money and attention at the Burg. The burg is the word in southern ohio, always has been. And that's why you've heard "enough said" and other comments to the same tune. Hopefully burg refuels on all this hAterade and uses it as bulletin board mAterial.

BURG BASKETBALL DWWD

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Historically, Burg has been the better job. That's no knock on Webster as Burg in my opinion is a top 5 job in southeastern Ohio. However, since Webster dropped to D4 in 2002, it is also one of the better jobs in southeastern Ohio. There were some behind-the-scenes issues at Webster that may have led to Ater deciding to apply for other jobs, but with the Burg job open, I think he would have applied regardless. As bunt_pirate said, he is now coaching the third-favorite sport at Burg as baseball and football are ahead of the basketball program, whereas boys basketball is still king at Webster despite what some teachers/students want. That may not be a bad thing as it's less pressure on him: basically, compete for an SOC II championship, get to the Convo, work together with the baseball and football coaches, and most Burg fans will be happy.

Not sure I'd be dusting off the rafters yet, but give Ater about 2 years and he'll have Burg up and running. Right now, I see a lot of athletes there, but not many basketball players. To get Burg back to Regionals/State, he's going to need some basketball players (ala Stegman, Cam Miller, Spradlin, Burleson, etc.) to mix in with the athletes. By that time, Webster will be up and running again as well, so we'll see then if Ater made the right career move.*

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Hearing lots of good things about Burg basketball this summer. It sounds like Coach Ater is going to use the athletes he has and make Burg basketball more exciting for the 13-14 season. I have also heard a few athletes that did not play last year will be coming out to play this year as well. He will be working with experienced players such as E.Miller, D.Miller, Widdig, Claxon, Spradlin, and May and throw in some of the younger guys like Adams, Davis, and Roe and he will have lots of kids to run the floor. The only thing missing will be size. There were some big kids on the freshman team last year (Marvin 6'2, Hall 6'3, VanScoy 6'4), but they all need to work on their foot speed a lot. Also have heard there is another 6'3 soon to be sophomore that didn't play last year will be coming out for basketball this year.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

We need to give Ater a 2 or 3 year pass. Realistically we are about 2 or three years away. When the freshman are juniors or seniors they will be pretty good especially if Ater develops the kids like he did with the Webster kids! Those kids could jump out of the gym! Tons of potential coming, be patient all will be good!

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

I have to say i had mixed emotions when I found out Ater left Webster. As much as I wanted to fault the guy for doing it, I could not. It's a good move for him. Closer to his true home Chesapeake. Plus traditional at Webster the basketball coaches have moved up into administrative jobs but looks like that really would not be an issue because of the current admin. changes at Webster. So he would not have moved into being the AD. Best of luck to him and Burg.

Now as far as Webster's future. In my opinion, Webster consistently has a better chance to go farther then any other SOC 1 or 2 school, year in year out. Exactly as an earlier post stated. We play in SOC 2 (bigger schools) then drop into Division 4 (small schools) during tournament time. That gives us a great edge. It's almost a given for us to go the CONVO. every year. I think if you read the back of the program up at the Convo., Webster has a very good appearance and winning record. From memory both Webster and Burg does.

I love high school basketball and attend many other school's games. I am not trying to be biased (although I am a Jeep after all) it's just my opinion having observed our area schools over the years.

Return to “Boys Basketball”