DII Logan Sectional

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: DII Logan Sectional

Post by 93Bulldog »

thill2010 wrote:Logan Elm plays in a tough MSL where anything can happen on any given night
Some years you are right ... but not this year.

Athens sat its starters down after the 3rd quarter because it was up on Circleville by 30. I'm not buying that statement about the MSL.

Plus ... ONLY 6 TEAMS (10 league games on a 22-game schedule) in the TVC Ohio Division ... Athens can go out and schedule tougher opponents than what was in the MSL this year ... so can Warren ... and they did!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

thill2010 wrote:The seeding shouldn't come down to which school votes for who, it should come down to win-loss record
HA! REALLY?

THAN WHY WASN'T ATHENS AWARDED THE #1 SEED WHEN IT HAD THE BEST RECORD IN 2009? THEY WERE 18-1 MAN AND DID NOT GET IT!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The TVC as a whole is better than it has been imo thill. I'm not sure who VC will vote in the 1 seed, but I would imagine they'd like to see Logan Elm in the 2nd round. (If they were able to get past Sheridan) Athens has beaten the Vikes twice already and even though they've seen them and know what they do, I still think VC would like to take their chances with LE or even Warren. With all that said, they would still need to beat a very solid Sheridan team which will be a tall task for a very young Viking team.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:
thill2010 wrote:The seeding shouldn't come down to which school votes for who, it should come down to win-loss record
HA! REALLY?

THAN WHY WASN'T ATHENS AWARDED THE #1 SEED WHEN IT HAD THE BEST RECORD IN 2009? THEY WERE 18-1 MAN AND DID NOT GET IT!
Same goes for VC a few years before that. Better record, 2 seed.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Cracks me up how some think Logan Elm deserves the No. 1 seed ... yet everyone would rather play them.

Doesn't make any sense ... If they are the best team, and deserve the No. 1, then nobody should WANT to play them.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The fact is, strength of schedule matters. Number of losses matter too though. You have to level it out. Is a tough schedule (15-3) better than a lesser schedule (17-1)? I'd say no. But ONLY because one of those 17 wins are against a great Athens team in the same sectional. I don't care if it was early, late, or somewhere in the middle. It accounts for something. With that said, if Logan Elms 17 wins didn't include a win over Athens, I think Warren's 15-3 would be enough to push them ahead. And Athens as well for that matter. The win over Athens tips the scale imo....just barely!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:The fact is, strength of schedule matters. Number of losses matter too though. You have to level it out. Is a tough schedule (15-3) better than a lesser schedule (17-1)? I'd say no. But ONLY because one of those 17 wins are against a great Athens team in the same sectional. I don't care if it was early, late, or somewhere in the middle. It accounts for something. With that said, if Logan Elms 17 wins didn't include a win over Athens, I think Warren's 15-3 would be enough to push them ahead. And Athens as well for that matter. The win over Athens tips the scale imo....just barely!
I don't think it tips the scale for LE over Warren ... maybe LE over Athens.

LE would have losses too Dundas if it played Watterson, Wheeling Park and Portsmouth twice.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Its bothersome to know Athens and Warren will be punished for going out and playing THE BIG BOYS and that is what will happen if LE gets the one.

The schedule for 2014/2015 isn't set ... if going 17-1 is what matters, then screw it, Athens will schedule winnable games next year and get the 1.

I commend Maddox and Skinner for playing the 2 teams that played in the state championship last year - Watterson and ASVSM - they SHOULDN'T be punished for it.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I'm not saying its right bulldog. I'm just saying its the way it is. If Athens and Warren are both pretty equal (which I think most would agree) schedules don't change the fact that LE beat Athens. That is why I think they'll get the 1. I'm not saying its right or wrong. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter. I think the top 4 teams in this sectional (Athens, LE, Sheridan, Warren) are all very good and any of the 4 could make it to the Convo.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:If Athens and Warren are both pretty equal (which I think most would agree) schedules don't change the fact the LE beat Athens..
Who said Athens and Warren are equal?

We haven't beaten them in 10 years!!! lol

Warren has zero common opponents with Logan Elm - and lets face - had they not played Watterson and Wheeling Park they too would be 17-1.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Another thing dog, I've only seen Athens out of the top 3 teams. I know how good they are! I can only look at the schedules and results for the other 2. But the big fat elephant in the room tomorrow will be the LE win over Athens.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Is Warrens win over Bishop Hartley not as impressive as Logan Elm's win over Athens?
How about Warren's win over Valley, who took Athens to double overtime?
Or how about Warren's win over Portsmouth, which happens to be the team that beat the team which handed LE's it only loss?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote: But the big fat elephant in the room tomorrow will be the LE win over Athens.
That win has absolutely no baring on what should be decided when it comes to Logan Elm and Warren. All it is, is a 'quality win' for LE - and Warren has plenty of their own.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Athens may not have beaten them in 10 years, but over the past few seasons, they have been a basket or foul away from a few wins. That's pretty even in terms of play on the court. Warren and Athens both would be undefeated had they not scheduled up. I'm not saying that they wouldn't. But its the price you pay when you drop a few games to good teams. And again, I'm not saying its right. Its just the way it is most times.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:Athens may not have beaten them in 10 years, but over the past few seasons, they have been a basket or foul away from a few wins. That's pretty even in terms of play on the court. Warren and Athens both would be undefeated had they not scheduled up. I'm not saying that they wouldn't. But its the price you pay when you drop a few games to good teams. And again, I'm not saying its right. Its just the way it is most times.
If that were the case, then Athens WOULD have got the No. 1 seed in 2009, Dundas.

Obviously the coaches in that room don't think it's all about wins/losses.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

You make good points dog. As do I. That's why the tournament is so much fun. There is always surprises in the seeding and as of now, I don't think anyone is a lock for the 1. I can't wait for tomorrow! I do realize Athens and Warren don't want to meet in the sectional, but if both are as good as they seem, they would ultimately meet in the district final. So weather its sectional, or district..the winner of that game would be the favorite for the southeast district making a run to the state.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:
Dundas wrote:Athens may not have beaten them in 10 years, but over the past few seasons, they have been a basket or foul away from a few wins. That's pretty even in terms of play on the court. Warren and Athens both would be undefeated had they not scheduled up. I'm not saying that they wouldn't. But its the price you pay when you drop a few games to good teams. And again, I'm not saying its right. Its just the way it is most times.
If that were the case, then Athens WOULD have got the No. 1 seed in 2009, Dundas.

Obviously the coaches in that room don't think it's all about wins/losses.
You're right dog, but who got the 1 seed that year, and what was their record? That year Athens beat VC twice by a total of 5 points and the Vikings finished 5th going 15-5.

Cornhusker
Waterboy

Post by Cornhusker »

93Bulldog wrote:
I commend Maddox and Skinner for playing the 2 teams that played in the state championship last year - Watterson and ASVSM - they SHOULDN'T be punished for it.
So what should Logan Elm be punished for, losing one game?

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

I think Portsmouth win tonight over Cle MLK was big for Warren. One poster was bragging on MSL but good grief give me a break. That league isn't what it once was. You can't on one hand defend playing weak teams and cry we have to play these teams then tell Warren and Athens too bad you lost so to a a State Champion. If LE played Warren or Athens schedule They would have 4-5 losses. I saw the Athens/LE game and Athens, Portsmouth, FCA, Valley, Hartley, Watterson and Wheeling Park are ALL better than LE. I don't care if they won that game in December or not. If they play again Athens wins 15+.
Looks like LE fans are wanting to run away from Warren/Athens.
Last edited by WarriorBlue on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

thill2010
JV Team

Post by thill2010 »

Logan Elm also has a quality win over Chillicothe and WCH
Last edited by thill2010 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”