Charging for "Parking" at high school basketball games?

SouthGallia#1 in bball
Riding the Bench

Re: Charging for "Parking" at high school basketball games?

Post by SouthGallia#1 in bball »

RAIDER6309 wrote:
Regulator wrote:You do realize that your Taxes goes towards education, right?? Athletics is a different beast. When it comes to money schools have to be creative to stay in the Black for Athletics!! You are holding a grudge over 2 dollars. Maybe you should be driving behind me because I usually pay for my car and the next car behind me as a good gesture. I may even do that at OU!!
I can see charging just for football but girls basketball. Come on
Buh Gawd, dem girls should just be thankful they get to play on the same courts as the boys!!! :aaaaa25

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

4Ks wrote:I TAKE EXCEPTION TO THE POST "THEY EVEN CHARGE FOR GIRL'S GAMES". THE YEAR IS 2015 NOT 1915. BY THE WAY I HAVE WATCHED GAMES
WHERE GIRLS WOULD MAKE FOOLS OF BOYS IF THEY WERE ALLOWED TO COMPETE AGAINST BOYS.
It's Apples and Oranges. Football can see a few thousand people, girls sports might get 100 on a good day. Sorry if u got offended but a huge difference in attendance between boys and girls

jinks
Freshman Team

Post by jinks »

It may only be $2.00, but add it up over a season. If 2 parents and 2 kids attend a game; parking and admission adds up to about $20.00, not counting concessions and gas. Over a 20 game season, that is quite a dent in a paycheck. Parents sacrifice to get their athletes back and forth to practices, plus any incidentals. What we are doing is making it harder for the less fortunate to participate (and sometimes they are the ones who need sports the most). Then consider if you have one girl and one boy playing, or one in jr. high and one in high school...then it's double.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Don't you think it would be discrimination against the girls if they charged parking for boys and not girls? But since girls attendance is less and the amount taken in for the labor of the collectors in the cold, maybe they would be better off to add a dollar to the ticket prices instead for girls.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Be glad your kids don't go somewhere in the North for Pay to Play. Pickerington school charges over $300 a sport.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

How's the other 99% get by without charging but jackson thinks they need it ? Why just jackson -- the " I'll just take it " mentality will led to 75% charging for it , then 50 ...

toast
All State

Post by toast »

How much Jackson charges for parking at a high school basketball game is irrelevant. It's the principle of the matter. No other school is southern Ohio charges for parking at a high school basketball game…...Period! Wouldn't you think it would be more important to foster good relations with the members of your own community and the fans coming from other areas? And if that many people are complaining to the people collecting the money shouldn't that tell you something?!

One more thing. I've been to a lot of Jr. High track meets over the last seven or eight years. The charge for admission has been either three, two, or one dollar. I went to a Jr. High track meet at Jackson a couple of years ago and they charged FIVE dollars admission!!

Seriously, what's up with the people at Jackson who make these decisions? It sure doesn't reflect well on their school. And it sure doesn't set well with a lot of people.
Last edited by toast on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

They charge at Monroe Central, River, and Beallsville.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Lol at this girls basketball vs football attendance

Jackson charges to park during football, boys basketball and girls basketball.....and then they host tournament games during those postseasons. Quite sure more than 100 people attend district semi and district finals girls basketball games.

toast....let me know on here when you are coming to Jackson and I'll pay your $2

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

highflyer wrote:It may only be $2.00, but add it up over a season. If 2 parents and 2 kids attend a game; parking and admission adds up to about $20.00, not counting concessions and gas. Over a 20 game season, that is quite a dent in a paycheck. Parents sacrifice to get their athletes back and forth to practices, plus any incidentals. What we are doing is making it harder for the less fortunate to participate (and sometimes they are the ones who need sports the most). Then consider if you have one girl and one boy playing, or one in jr. high and one in high school...then it's double.
Any family that has a kid play more than one sport or two kids in one sport each Jackson offers family sports passes for $200....There are individual and senior citizen passes for anyone who attends games regularly and saves them a lot.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ironman92 wrote:
highflyer wrote:It may only be $2.00, but add it up over a season. If 2 parents and 2 kids attend a game; parking and admission adds up to about $20.00, not counting concessions and gas. Over a 20 game season, that is quite a dent in a paycheck. Parents sacrifice to get their athletes back and forth to practices, plus any incidentals. What we are doing is making it harder for the less fortunate to participate (and sometimes they are the ones who need sports the most). Then consider if you have one girl and one boy playing, or one in jr. high and one in high school...then it's double.
Any family that has a kid play more than one sport or two kids in one sport each Jackson offers family sports passes for $200....There are individual and senior citizen passes for anyone who attends games regularly and saves them a lot.

Vinton County doesn't charge to park. They don't require "pay to play" and they sold winter sports passes for $20. I've always look at it as another form of arrogance when it comes to paying to park at Jackson. The outsiders see it as "we are so awesome and our facilities are so great that you must pay to use our lot." With that said though, it has never deterred me from coming to watch VC play there.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

I'm not from Jackson, and really don't have a big deal over the parking.

Dundas, maybe when Vinton Co. starts winning at football then they can start parking, for now though probably need to hope people show up to watch the games.

I have a very quick solution for those outside of Jackson, Don't go to a game at Jackson. save you some money!!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Ironman92 wrote:I don't like paying $2 to park for football or basketball games, but about 7 years in it just gets old to listen to....and anyone (not saying anyone on here did this) that gripes at the person standing in the cold to collect money....needs to not be there to put it nicely.
I would venture to guess that with the amount of volunteer hours spent by people collecting money at the entrances, that Jackson athletics could make more money with fundraising acitivites in the community than they do from collecting a parking fee.

Jay Bruce
Freshman Team

Post by Jay Bruce »

Many schools in southern Ohio charge for parking for football playoff games when/if they host a first round playoff game before it goes to neutral sites. Then at the neutral sites they pretty much are always charging for parking.

kingofthegame
Freshman Team

Post by kingofthegame »

From the outside looking in, it seems a little petty to charge the $2 to park. Even though it is a somewhat trivial amount, the principle of it is what makes people upset. Looks like very few schools see the need to charge and it makes Jackson look greedy by doing it. The "pay the play" excuse is not something I think most people will buy either. I have always thought that "pay to play" is a political ploy by individuals to make it look like their district is "putting academics first" in the budget. Nevermind the fact that extracurriculars support academics by teaching stuff like dedication, character, teamwork, etc. that no doubt helps academics. Bottom line is, while the argument for not complaining about the $2 is that it is a trivial amount, it is also a very, very small portion of a several million dollar budget for a district the size of Jackson City. Maybe someone shouldn't complain, but also maybe they shouldn't charge.

I'd be more upset if I was from Jackson and paid this amount every week considering your tax dollars go to school. The gate money is supposed to provide for payment of officials, deputies for safety, transportation for away games, etc. I think most expect that and understand. An additional fee for parking is not as quickly understood.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I love the argument that I pay taxes therefore I shouldnt be charged for certain things at sporting events. We have parents that say the same thing, they think their kids should get in free because they attend that school. The days of schools having excess money are gone, and never coming back. Most schools are on a bare bones budget, and sports arent self sufficient. To be self sufficient, ticket prices would have to go up, and heaven forbid that! lol Paying for parking to me doesnt sit right, but I understand why they do it.

kingofthegame
Freshman Team

Post by kingofthegame »

eagles73 wrote:I love the argument that I pay taxes therefore I shouldnt be charged for certain things at sporting events. We have parents that say the same thing, they think their kids should get in free because they attend that school. The days of schools having excess money are gone, and never coming back. Most schools are on a bare bones budget, and sports arent self sufficient. To be self sufficient, ticket prices would have to go up, and heaven forbid that! lol Paying for parking to me doesnt sit right, but I understand why they do it.
It's a little easier to understand paying to get into the game since it's common practice, you know where the money goes to for the most part, and, probably the most important reason, you're paying for a ticket to actually watch the game. Paying to park...well, you get to park and the school gets some extra money that most schools do not charge for. What's ironic for many fans in this area is that Jackson City is better off financially than lots and lots of other schools who don't charge to park.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

4th n Goal wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:I don't like paying $2 to park for football or basketball games, but about 7 years in it just gets old to listen to....and anyone (not saying anyone on here did this) that gripes at the person standing in the cold to collect money....needs to not be there to put it nicely.
I would venture to guess that with the amount of volunteer hours spent by people collecting money at the entrances, that Jackson athletics could make more money with fundraising acitivites in the community than they do from collecting a parking fee.

Maybe....generally now if you pay to park at Jackson it is someone from the soccer team. Often the same people. I don't believe our soccer programs have great luck with their boosters (I've heard this at least) $1 goes to the general athletic fund and the other $1 goes to the working sports program....in this case it is the soccer boosters as they are working it.

Again....I wouldn't charge and don't enjoy paying $2 to park 15x during the girls and boys basketball seasons. Back when they began this 6-8 years ago I worked as the parking collector a few times....honestly I don't remember anyone ever complaining.

I don't agree with the mentionings of arrogance. How many people do you believe are deciding on this decision? Lumping a fan base and city to that decision is ridiculous.

Return to “Boys Basketball”