A Coach's' Ethical Dilemma?

Maroon Shorts
Riding the Bench

Re: A Coach's' Ethical Dilemma?

Post by Maroon Shorts »

I have an inside source with Wellston that says this was not a unanimous voting of the team and a couple players that start and will not lose their starting job are pretty ticked off. This is a slap in the face to the players that show up weeks before the season and work hard just to have two "Superstarts" show up and play ball. If they don't put the same amount of work in as the others they should sit down. Or at least not play the next four or five games of this current season.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

my old coach did this sort of thing several times. plus guys would quit and he would beg them to come back. not surprisingly he is no longer a head coach. :roll:

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

gorockets2 wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:I personally could care less; however, I do believe it does send the wrong message to all kids in the system. And I too, believe that Coach Combs would never allow that to happen at Vinton County. Boilermaker, again I have to disagree with you. If I was a parent of a current starter and he was displaced by one of these two, I would be extremely upset, because again, it sends the wrong message.
You say you could care less then why comment on it?
You are right. I am done with this. However, you will have to agree with me when I say "It is, what it is."

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

I don't have a dog in this fight, and don't know all the particulars, but it seems to me to be unfair to the players that have been there all season and worked hard for the coach?

gaurdDUTY
Riding the Bench

Post by gaurdDUTY »

Maroon Shorts wrote:I have an inside source with Wellston that says this was not a unanimous voting of the team and a couple players that start and will not lose their starting job are pretty ticked off. This is a slap in the face to the players that show up weeks before the season and work hard just to have two "Superstarts" show up and play ball. If they don't put the same amount of work in as the others they should sit down. Or at least not play the next four or five games of this current season.
Like all the other posts, we probably don't have all the details. BUT to think any coach would consider such a move is unethical and has ZERO respect for the boys who came out when the season started. I don't care WHO he/she is, the fact remains. Basketball season started in November, not January - PERIOD.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

It worked on "Hoosiers". I think that is where the fad started.............

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

mikethompson wrote:If Combs lets players on his team who fight at GusMackers in Chilicothe what would stop him from having them take a half of season off ?
You will have to be more specific. On second thought, no you don't, Gus Mackers happen in June and July, out of the care, control, and custody of Vinton County High School and it's representatives. That is a parental issue and not subject to artificial parenting by Coach Matthew A. Combs. Good try.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

what if a player cusses out a coach and then walks out and says he quits, should the player be begged to come back to the team :?:

The Razor
Riding the Bench

Post by The Razor »

gorockets2 wrote:B.S you can't tell me if Andy grillo or Dustin Guthrie didn't want to play one year then decided to want to come out combs would not let them. Get your head out of his butt and get real!
Are these kids as good as Grillo and Guthrie? If so, Derrow may be able to break that streak of 14 losses in a row. I coached with Combs for plenty of years and I know he would have never allowed a player to join the team midseason. It wouldn't have mattered if it were Ryan Kent, Chris Bethel or Dustin Guthrie, it wouldn't have happened. Having said that, it is Derrow's team and he can do what he sees fit. While many may disagree and lose respect for him, it is his decision to make.
hawkeyepierce wrote:
mikethompson wrote:If Combs lets players on his team who fight at GusMackers in Chilicothe what would stop him from having them take a half of season off ?
You will have to be more specific. On second thought, no you don't, Gus Mackers happen in June and July, out of the care, control, and custody of Vinton County High School and it's representatives. That is a parental issue and not subject to artificial parenting by Coach Matthew A. Combs. Good try.
Yes, that's comparing apples to oranges. I do not know who you are talking about, but I'm sure they were kicked out of the Macker. Why should a kid not be allowed to play sports because they got into a scrap during the middle of summer? Mike, do you think Combs should bench kids for not brushing their teeth or forgetting to take the garbage out at home?

Ted Striker
Freshman Team

Post by Ted Striker »

Last time I checked, the OHSAA doesn't govern GusMackers. Easy mistake to make though, I know how you Wellston folk are about OHSAA jurisdiction.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Ted Striker wrote:Last time I checked, the OHSAA doesn't govern GusMackers. Easy mistake to make though, I know how you Wellston folk are about OHSAA jurisdiction.

:aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Maybe the boys had scholastic problems at the end of last school year, and were not allowed to participate in sports until now???

Would this be just cause to allow their return to the team???

Ted Striker
Freshman Team

Post by Ted Striker »

svbt1112 wrote:It worked on "Hoosiers". I think that is where the fad started.............
Plenty of Ollies, Straps, and Shooters (Dennis Hopper) down there. I've yet to see a Merle, Buddy, or Jimmy. AND, no Norman Dale.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

svbt1112 wrote:It worked on "Hoosiers". I think that is where the fad started.............
exactly. But Jimmy Chitwood was allowed to join the team because he was working through personal issues about the previous coach's death, and Shooter couldn't have run the picket fence without Jimmy.

Do old men in barber shops still hold sway over a coach's job?

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

Are you serious Dude???? Sounds like you have no clue WTH you are talking about. GusMackers is A summer event and I dont believe Combs runs that do you. Like they said before Apples and Oranges!!!

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

rickoshay wrote:Maybe the boys had scholastic problems at the end of last school year, and were not allowed to participate in sports until now???

The one boy wanted to concentrate on football only but from seeing how staying healthy for a 10 game high school season not happend yet since he played high school football maybe roundball would be better choice?

The other boy is on a track scholarship and was over heard saying he wanted to protect his legs but he played football go figure??

Anyway it does not matter coaching is the problem and has been. Even shows more now for the MESS like this to let go on...Good job Derrow proven again!!!

The Razor
Riding the Bench

Post by The Razor »

rickoshay wrote:Maybe the boys had scholastic problems at the end of last school year, and were not allowed to participate in sports until now???

They both played football from what I hear, Rick. Doubt if there were any scholastic problems.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Well this coach doesn't seem to have an "Ethical Delemma", he asked his team and they all said let them play. I have no problem with it. To be honest, if the coach and the players are okay with it then everyone else should be too.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Ted Striker wrote:Last time I checked, the OHSAA doesn't govern GusMackers. Easy mistake to make though, I know how you Wellston folk are about OHSAA jurisdiction.
:122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 Funniest Post of the new year :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Let me clarify my original statements.

IF the coach doesn't mind AND the players vote unanimously then why whould I care at all.....BUT the players' voting has to be done on paper with no one knowing what anyone else ACTUALLY puts down....having a team vote by a show of hands would be worthless and not show a true representation of what the team wanted.....a coach could probably use that method to get everyone to vote yes if he worded everything correctly and displayed to the team in his own tone that he was indeed for it.

But again....don't really care it's just not any of my business.

Return to “Boys Basketball”