Vinton County @ Logan ..Sat. 1/23

Dundas
SEOPS

Vinton County @ Logan ..Sat. 1/23

Post by Dundas »

The Vikings travel to Logan for the first of two meetings against SEOAL opponents this season. The other being Jackson at the end of the season. Last year the Vikings pulled off a 2 point win in McArthur in what was a season of many close games for the Vikings. Much of the same has happened this year as VC has been in many close matchups thus far. Logan now has gotten rid of the injury bug and looks to be much improved from earlier in the season. VC sets at 8-2 with a league game vs. Wellston on Friday before the game vs Logan on Saturday. If VC get by Wellston, the Logan game will be key in VC's quest for a top seed in the Logan sectional. Right now, VC is 3rd (record wise) out of the 9 teams in the Logan sectional. The teams ahead are Athens at 10-1 and Logan Elm who also has only 1 loss on the year. VC has a big matchup with Athens a week from Friday which could ultimatly decide who gets a higher seed between the two. Although the Vikings may not be looking ahead to Logan just yet, since the game is the day after the Wellston game, I figured that shouldnt stop us from talking about it! The Vikings need a win and I think they have a good shot at getting it. Although they must put 4 quarters together (something VC has had trouble doing as of late) to get the win vs an always tough Logan team from the SEOAL.

forthekids
Waterboy

Re: Vinton County @ Logan ..Sat. 1/23

Post by forthekids »

If Logan brings the pressure on defense then this could be trouble for VC. These kids have went at it for several years and the games have always been close. I think it will be just like last years game close. I think the key will be if Logan can put a lot of pressure on the VC guards. It will be interesting to see if they let Pat work in the post, but like I said before these kids know each other so well that it will be a good game as usual.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

If the Chiefs can stay away from Havoc ball, which causes turnovers and fouls, and run some set offence and mix up the defence with some man and zone pressure, look for a close game with logan winning by 1

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Vinton County looked vastly improved on their freethrows tonight, against Wellston.
They are also getting more aggressive, on defense, at going after the ball and getting steals.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Another triple header.
GO VIKES

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Vinton County by 12! Logan basketball is running on fumes

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

VC by 7

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Final score?

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

61-51 Chiefs....

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wow....thought VC would win by about 8

Jackson had Logan 43-17 at the half last night and then they pulled their heads out of their butts and finished respectively....must've shot better tonight.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Never thought I would say this but: GO CHIEFS!

No pun intended to my Viking friends; I'm just worried about the D-2 sectional draw ... lol ... I don't want to see Athens have to face Logan Elm - ALTHOUGH - there are a handful of other excellent teams in that sectional - I guess its the lessor of two evils not having to face the Braves.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It's a worthy cheer bulldog.....unless Warren has about 5 losses, they may get the #2 and you guys are lined right into the #3 spot.....but VC can beat you guys and have the same # of losses and who knows?

Is Sheridan still with a very good record?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The 6th 7th and 8th man was the difference for the Cheifs tonight. Bad calls both ways but there were so many missed calls that pretty much hurt any chance for a Viking win. It was absolutly embarrassing.

Congrats to Angle on getting his 1000th point! A well deserved standing O from both crowds.

gibetown
Waterboy

Post by gibetown »

My first Logan game this year, after vowing I wouldn't go see Havoc ball. It was indeed Havoc---lots of fouls, turnovers and general havoc. Great to see Patrick Angle get his 1000th point. Logan played much better than I anticipated. Colegrove (16 points) came up with some key free throws. Angle looked great shooting in the first half (15 points), but was shut down in the second half. Pat's best contribution was some great rebounding-seems like he was everywhere and was in the right spot for almost every tipped ball. Mays is at home in the "havoc" scene-pushed the ball up the court and put up a few circus shots that hit their mark. Dietz has great shot-block timing. Wish they would get Jordan Rutter more involved in the offense-he's a great athlete. Murphy, for a big dude, has a beautiful touch at the free throw line. Buckler and Guess did good job out front handling ball when they needed to. Jared Rutter's a big muscular kid-would be nice to see him out muscle some people inside.

VC had a couple of nice runs at Logan. Grillo had a great outside shot and the Lawhead kid was a scrapper.

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

this win was badly needed for logan, and the difference was there was more balanced scoring, it wasn't just pat and mase. If they could get a third scorer to get maybe 9 or 10 pts a night, doesnt have to be the same person then i think they would be a more dangerous team, tj colegrove was the difference he doesnt score 16 pts then vinton county wins. every team knows who they have to stop or in that matter just let pat and mase score because two people isn't gonna beat five. So if they get a consistent third scorer than they can turn the season around

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Let me clarify as Vinton County's Statistician; Andy Grillo was NOT "7 of 23 from the floor," Levi Lawhead took the most shots for us, he had taken 13 shots. For the most part the Vikings try to distribute the ball equally with maybe a couple of exceptions. As far as the fouls, the Vikings were fouling in the last minute and half in order to get the ball back. Therefore, the score is not indicative of how close the game actually was, it was tied early in the fourth quarter at 40 apiece, with Logan getting their last eight points from the free throw line.

The Vikings lost this game for one reason only; it was allowed to be played to physically. Anytime, officials allow a hockey game to break out, we are not going to win. It is a matter of strength, Logan was stronger and more physical than us, and this was epitomize when Logan's quarterback in a held ball situation threw or body slammed our quarterback to the ground, and of course no foul was called.

As far as Logan's philosophy, it did not look like "Dribble Drive" to me, true "DDM" (Motion) is based on a weak side post, with four guards, that attack, skip, attack, pass, attack, skip, and so on. What I saw was whomever attacked, shot. Logan did not share the basketball well, making them pass more could be their Achilles heel. However, I would not call it a jailbreak as much as I would call it athletes being athletes.

The bright side for the Vikings was that they battle back from a difficult situation, put together a great effort, and had a chance to win in the fourth. And no one got hurt.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Logan about beat us to death as well. They are physical!

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

the refs called fouls both ways yea there coulda been more fouls called but that never decides who wins the game and for pat so called body slamming your guys player, they was tied up for the ball and pat wanted it more thats why he went to the floor, plus there will never be a foul called after a jump ball and logan grad is right, memphis and kentucky use the same type of offense thats were logan got the offense and there built for that style of play

Return to “Boys Basketball”