D4 Northwest Sectional

davewottle
JV Team

Re: D4 Boys Northwest Sectional Teams and Outlook

Post by davewottle »

Why would Leesburg be ranked ahead of Pike Eastern and Peebles?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

davewottle wrote:Why would Leesburg be ranked ahead of Pike Eastern and Peebles?
Pretty sure Leesburg has only lost 2 games

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

Leesburg has lost 5 games now. Loses are too eastern brown, clerking northeastern a bad loss, Lynchburg clay, ceaderville, and paint valley.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Anyone have accurate update on records?

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

art_vandelay wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Clay is the #1 seed. No discussion.
Agreed...Clay with Hinze just destroying teams. East with a huge win tonight gets them out of the 8 seed. If Webster loses to clay tomorrow and goes 0-3 on the week, they likely looking at a 7 seed. As it stands:

1. Clay
2. Leesburg Fairfield
3. Eastern
4. Peebles
5. Notre Dame
6. East
7. South Webster
8. Western
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. Whiteoak
I think if Eastern wins out they are the #2 seed. Leesburg is 11-5 right now.

GO EAGLES
Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

I'm am not sure why everyone is so quick to put Western as their 8 seed right now? Correct me if I'm wrong but east is 9-6 I believe maybe 9-7: the same record Western has. They split during the season. They have lost to practically the same teams with the exception of Western beating Peebles and East losing to them. So why the case for East 6?

Also South Webster. Their record is 8-7 as stands, and could be 9-7 or 8-8 depending on their game tonight against Clay. What justification does anyone have for putting them ahead of Western especially if they take an L tonight?

I'll make my case for Western. They are 9-7 and have lost to no bad teams. Of course that means nothing because they lost. Loses are to ND 2 times, Eastern pike, Sciotoville East, 1 pt loss to Paint Valley, Waverly, and the 1 seed Clay. All games I'm guessing most expected them to lose with the exception of maybe PV.
9 wins: best ones being Eastern Pike, Peebles, @ East.

Western has 4 games left before the draw and they are Symmes Valley @Eastern Pike @whiteoak and Clay. I believe that in that 4 game stretch if they can go 3-1 only losing to either Pike or Clay then they have a great case for a 7 and probably the 6. With a record of 12-8.

Obviously this is an opinion, so comment how you please. But Western can make a strong case for a 6 seed.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Western24 wrote:I'm am not sure why everyone is so quick to put Western as their 8 seed right now? Correct me if I'm wrong but east is 9-6 I believe maybe 9-7: the same record Western has. They split during the season. They have lost to practically the same teams with the exception of Western beating Peebles and East losing to them. So why the case for East 6?

Also South Webster. Their record is 8-7 as stands, and could be 9-7 or 8-8 depending on their game tonight against Clay. What justification does anyone have for putting them ahead of Western especially if they take an L tonight?

I'll make my case for Western. They are 9-7 and have lost to no bad teams. Of course that means nothing because they lost. Loses are to ND 2 times, Eastern pike, Sciotoville East, 1 pt loss to Paint Valley, Waverly, and the 1 seed Clay. All games I'm guessing most expected them to lose with the exception of maybe PV.

Western has 4 games left before the draw and they are Symmes Valley @Eastern Pike @whiteoak and Clay. I believe that in that 4 game stretch if they can go 3-1 only losing to either Pike or Clay then they have a great case for a 7 and probably the 6. With a record of 12-8.

Obviously this is an opinion, so comment how you please. But Western can make a strong case for a 6 seed.
Can't disagree but also SW IMO has a way tougher schedule.

I wouldn't want to face Western whether they are a 6, 7 or 8 seed. The #8 seed is a tougher first game against Manchester....then likely Clay. The 7 gets you New Boston and probably Eastern Pike. The #6 seed is where it's at if you aren't a top seed.

Being the 8 seed isn't an insult....I've never seen this sectional so formidable from 1-8 and there isn't much separation at all.

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

Ironman92 wrote:
Western24 wrote:I'm am not sure why everyone is so quick to put Western as their 8 seed right now? Correct me if I'm wrong but east is 9-6 I believe maybe 9-7: the same record Western has. They split during the season. They have lost to practically the same teams with the exception of Western beating Peebles and East losing to them. So why the case for East 6?

I wouldn't want to face Western whether they are a 6, 7 or 8 seed. The #8 seed is a tougher first game against Manchester....then likely Clay. The 7 gets you New Boston and probably Eastern Pike. The #6 seed is where it's at if you aren't a top seed.

Being the 8 seed isn't an insult....I've never seen this sectional so formidable from 1-8 and there isn't much separation at all.
Don't really have a dog in this one , but SW is 1-2 vs the SOC 1.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

BobcatFuture1 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

And I feel they'd be the #3 team in the SOC 1...and Clay would be the #3 team in SOC 2.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Clay wins 45-38 over South Webster. Now 15-2. Should get the panthers the 1 seed.

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

I'm not sure who has the tougher schedule. But at the end of the day you have to win. No matter who has the toughest schedule. Webster is now 1-2 against the SOC 1. Plus who have they beat? They have good wins against Notre Dame and Wheelersburg but who else? That is an honest question? As I have already stated Western beat three teams in this sectional already. All supposedly going to be high seeds then them, 2 of them very deserving of higher seeds. 1 I'm not sure.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Western24 wrote:I'm not sure who has the tougher schedule. But at the end of the day you have to win. No matter who has the toughest schedule. Webster is now 1-2 against the SOC 1. Plus who have they beat? They have good wins against Notre Dame and Wheelersburg but who else? That is an honest question? As I have already stated Western beat three teams in this sectional already. All supposedly going to be high seeds then them, 2 of them very deserving of higher seeds. 1 I'm not sure.
Your comparisons are solely in your favor. Keep in mind, Webster doesn't face Green or Symmes twice a year, and New Boston is coming up only once in 2 weeks.

Your comparisons are this:

Western beat East once.... then after their 2nd best player got hurt, they beat Western @ Western by 17. If South Webster were to play East at home is there really any argument East would win? I don't see it. SW was tied with a minute left and the Scott kid (no longer on team) hit a 15 foot hook to go up 2, a missed shot by SW and game is over. Scott was undoubtedly the difference maker, East had no answer for SW's guards. Scott had something like 18 and 14.

Then you have Waverly. Sure, Webster lost twice to them -- both by 9. One game they led until 2 minutes left, other game was down 2 with 2 mins left. Free throws are the only reason it ended at 9. Western got blown out by Waverly.

Then you have @ Clay, Western lost by 9, Webster lost by 7 and led with 2 mins left.

Then you have Notre Dame. Western lost twice, even pretty decisively at home. Then Webster waxed ND @ ND (up 20 with 3 mins left and starters came out).

You also don't give enough credit for the @ Wheelersburg win... only team all year to beat Wheelersburg there. A Wheelersburg team that would win the SOC 1 (and should have won the SOC 2). Webster doesn't play Peebles or Eastern so you can't really compare that, but I can guarantee Wheelersburg is 10+ points better than both (and yes I've seen both).

Like I said, you're shaping your arguments solely in Western's favor --- I can do the same. If you look at all the comparisons the only one you could really argue is the win vs East, but when East comes to your place and waxes you by 17 after that, it's a tough argument because South Webster wasn't fortunate enough to play them twice.
Last edited by bbjunky81 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

As of tonight I see it as:

1. Clay
2. Peebles
3. Eastern
4. Notre Dame
5. Fairfield Leesburg
6. East
7. South Webster
8. Western
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. WhiteOak

Which, again, could change after this week.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

bbjunky81 wrote:As of tonight I see it as:

1. Clay
2. Peebles
3. Eastern
4. Notre Dame
5. Fairfield Leesburg
6. East
7. South Webster
8. Western
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. WhiteOak

Which, again, could change after this week.
If Eastern wins out they will most likely get the #2 seed I'd say even if Peebles wins out too. They both would have 4 losses and Eastern beat them in the head to head. Still think top 2 seeds are coming from the Soc1.

GO EAGLES
TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

Ironman92 wrote:
And I feel they'd be the #3 team in the SOC 1...and Clay would be the #3 team in SOC 2.[/quote]

Not that they couldn't potentially be 3rd in the SOC I, but I don't think they would be. East is in 4th, and I think they are better, and they have beaten Webster head to head.

Not seeing a logical argument for Webster or Western over East. After tonight's win over Manchester, the Tartans have a better record than both at 10-6. East beat Webster in their head to head. East recently throttled Western at Western, and during their slump. The Tartans also boast victories over Clay and Eastern on the season.

There is the case for East at the 6.

Spectator555
Waterboy

Post by Spectator555 »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Western24 wrote:I'm not sure who has the tougher schedule. But at the end of the day you have to win. No matter who has the toughest schedule. Webster is now 1-2 against the SOC 1. Plus who have they beat? They have good wins against Notre Dame and Wheelersburg but who else? That is an honest question? As I have already stated Western beat three teams in this sectional already. All supposedly going to be high seeds then them, 2 of them very deserving of higher seeds. 1 I'm not sure.
Your comparisons are solely in your favor. Keep in mind, Webster doesn't face Green or Symmes twice a year, and New Boston is coming up only once in 2 weeks.

Western beat East once.... then after their 2nd best player got hurt, they beat Western @ Western by 17. If South Webster were to play East at home is there really any argument East would win? I don't see it. SW was tied with a minute left and the Scott kid (no longer on team) hit a 15 foot hook to go up 2, a missed shot by SW and game is over. Scott was undoubtedly the difference maker, East had no answer for SW's guards. Scott had something like 18 and 14.

Then you have Waverly. Sure, Webster lost twice to them -- both by 9. One game they led until 2 minutes left, other game was down 2 with 2 mins left. Free throws are the only reason it ended at 9. Western got blown out by Waverly.

Then you have @ Clay, Western lost by 9, Webster lost by 7 and led with 2 mins left.

Then you have Notre Dame. Western lost twice, even pretty decisively at home. Then Webster waxed ND @ ND (up 20 with 3 mins left and starters came out).

You also don't give enough credit for the @ Wheelersburg win... only team all year to beat Wheelersburg there. A Wheelersburg team that would win the SOC 1 (and should have won the SOC 2). Webster doesn't play Peebles or Eastern so you can't really compare that, but I can guarantee Wheelersburg is 10+ points better than both (and yes I've seen both).

Like I said, you're shaping your arguments solely in Western's favor --- I can do the same. If you look at all the comparisons the only one you could really argue is the win vs East, but when East comes to your place and waxes you by 17 after that, it's a tough argument because South Webster wasn't fortunate enough to play them twice.
I don't believe wheelersburg is a better team then the top 2 SOC 1 teams..and isn't Oak Hill undefeated in the league as of now? How is that a belief that Wheelersburg should have won theirs. They still have to play, and I'm guessing the Oaks will come up on top again. If you aren't basing it on records then you could make the case for western that they have to play Clay twice, Eastern twice, East twice, Notre Dame twice, which are all teams that would heavily compete in the other league. And South Webster is now 1-3 against the three of those teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

1. Clay
2. Beaver
3. Bam Bam's gf
4. Notre Dame
5. East
6. Western
7. North
8. Purple
9. South
10. Fairfield
11. New Boston
12. South Webster
13. Womanchester
14. White Oak
15. Steve

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Spectator555 wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:

I don't believe wheelersburg is a better team then the top 2 SOC 1 teams..and isn't Oak Hill undefeated in the league as of now? How is that a belief that Wheelersburg should have won theirs. They still have to play, and I'm guessing the Oaks will come up on top again. If you aren't basing it on records then you could make the case for western that they have to play Clay twice, Eastern twice, East twice, Notre Dame twice, which are all teams that would heavily compete in the other league. And South Webster is now 1-3 against the three of those teams.
Perhaps you can't read. I said Wheelersburg SHOULD HAVE won the SOC 2. I didn't say they were going to, Oak Hill has that pretty much wrapped up. Burg has the most talent, depth, and athleticism. I repeat, they SHOULD have won the SOC 2.

No, they're not. Webster is 1-2 with losses @ East and @ Clay, and a blowout win @ ND. Western is 1-4 against East, Notre Dame, and Clay. So instead of trying to say "Oh Webster is 1-2 against the SOC 1" like they played the bad SOC 1 teams, let's compare only the teams they've both played.

With the teams they've both played, Webster is 1-2. Western is 1-4.

Then let's compare individual losses:

East - Webster lost by 5, Western by 17
Clay - Webster lost by 7, Western by 9
Notre Dame - Webster won by 11, Western lost by 12 and 7.

Again, simply not seeing the argument.
Last edited by bbjunky81 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

My gut tells me that for the first time in a long time if ever that the SOC II is all mighty may not work for political leverage in this draw.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Ironman92 wrote:1. Clay
2. Beaver
3. Bam Bam's gf
4. Notre Dame
5. East
6. Western
7. North
8. Purple
9. South
10. Fairfield
11. New Boston
12. South Webster
13. Womanchester
14. White Oak
15. Steve
At least you got the one seed right before the battery went down.

Return to “Boys Basketball”