Little sisters, do anything but go to Miami

General Chat
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Little sisters, do anything but go to Miami

Post by Orange and Brown »

WRITTEN BY BRITTON DOVE
MONDAY, 19 OCTOBER 2009 09:22

Dear Candace and McKenzie, don’t go to Miami! I know that this is junior year in high school, and any campus 150 miles away from mom and dad looks appealing, but I just can’t let my little sisters become RedHawks without knowing the facts.

This seems like a sign of betrayal. I chose Ohio University because of its beautiful campus, great journalism program and its reputation for hosting the best parties in the state. Miami? They have bell towers if that does it for you.

Fact one, sisters, we will not just be rivals; we will be enemies.

Once you put on that red cardigan sweater and tie that Gucci scarf around your necks, you have sealed your fate. You are accepting the fact that you will no longer be getting Christmas presents or calls on your birthday. You instead will get crank calls on Homecoming Weekend and clippings from the paper on how you are 0-7 this season. I may seem stubborn in my ways, but I have been here three years and have been trained by the best to taunt, scream and heckle anyone in the white and red.

Fact two – put down your Starbucks coffee and please listen to me. Our sports are so much better!

I know what you’re thinking. How can Ohio be better at sports when Miami leads the all-time football series 52-31-2? That’s when I say, quit bringing up the past and focus on the here and now. McKenzie, do you want to go to a school where you have to watch a basketball team for which you could start as shooting guard? For the men’s squad! Now that the Bramos brothers are gone, it’s more about going to see what kind of turtleneck Charlie Coles is going to sport on the bench.

Fact three, we party better.

Halloween. Forget about it. You won’t see anything like it. Palmer Fest. Mill Fest. Oak Fest. 7 Fest. 8 Fest. 9 Fest. High Fest. Congo Fest. Kiss them all goodbye if you go to Miami. We are the legends of block parties, and we make the news for them every year, too. If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the street. As for the parties at Miami, they make a rave look like a night of bingo with nana.

Fact four, just because Ben Roethlisberger went to Miami, doesn’t mean that Miami won the Superbowl.

Common misconception by RedHawk fans is they think that their alumni somehow win them more games after they’re finished with their college career. Ben R. is good; he’s on my fantasy football team, but I’m tired of hearing all about this one stud from Miami’s glory days.

What I’m trying to say is I don’t want to be like the Scotts. Somehow Helen Scott (a Miami graduate) has one daughter enrolled at Ohio (Jen) and one at Miami (Jessica). I guess they make it work, but I don’t know if I can be so loving.

“I was like, ‘Jen, you cannot go to OU. You just can’t,’” Helen Scott said. “It’s her decision, and OU is a good school so I’m proud of both of them. I do have an OU mom shirt and a Miami sweatshirt so I support them both.”

If you decide to fill out an application, call me. I’m here for you 24/7. I can be your support hotline. There ARE other alternatives. Kent State. Bowling Green. Wright State. Ohio State. Anywhere else university.

Please I’m begging you, sisters, don’t become RedHawks.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Re: Little sisters, do anything but go to Miami

Post by mstangmom »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My best friend graduated from OU, we joke with her because she spent 9 years there, she was working on her masters and was a RA in the freshmen dorms we always call her the 9 year freshman.
Anyways Her HUSBAND who graduated from Miami is the SON of 2 Miami professors is a nice guy but man all of us around here give him hell because it.
He's not a sports fan at all :122246 :122246 , so he doesn't get some of the jokes we make, but he knows the rivalry for sure. It's even better when his parents are in town at least then he has some backup, not very good back up but some non the less.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Lol that's awesome! I have a friend who decided to to to Miami and I told her "As an Ohio student it is my obligation to tell you that friends don't let friends go to Miami"

(It was on a t-shirt I found in a shop in Athens :122245 )

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

LoganElm_grad09 wrote:Lol that's awesome! I have a friend who decided to to to Miami and I told her "As an Ohio student it is my obligation to tell you that friends don't let friends go to Miami"

(It was on a t-shirt I found in a shop in Athens :122245 )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “The Off season”