Kayaking/canoeing

Paladin
SEOP

Kayaking/canoeing

Post by Paladin »

I've had a lot of power boats in my time, but it's tough to beat my kayaks and canoes I've had for fun. I am also a lifetime member of Trumbull Canoe Trails, the areas canoe/kayak club. Even served as its Prez for a number of years. Club trips on week-ends thru out NE Ohio and Western Pa., mostly on rivers but also a few lakes. I also enjoy fishing out of them and also car top them into Canada for fishing trips. While trips to Lake Erie in my 18' sport fisherman Powerboat was fun, I enjoyed even more fishing out of kayaks on the Allegheny R or beaver dammed streams in Quebec. Any kayakers here ?

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Kayaking/canoeing

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Went canoeing a couple of times with a buddy down the Hocking river. Both times took about 7 hours. :lol: Had to keep carrying the canoe down stream in spots because it was dragging the river bed bottom. :lol: Way to shallow. :lol: Like to try kayaking one of these days. Sounds like a good time. :)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I have an ole 17 foot sears canoe, from like 73.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I have owned --

A 17' Folbot twin kayak , paddle or sail
a 15' square stern aluminum Grumman , used this in Canada a lot with a 4hp motor to fish and troll
a 13'8" OldTown Loon kayak, a favorite
a 10' Perception kayak , fishing champ

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

What's a price range on a decent middle to top shelf Kayak, Paladin?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Paladin wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:32 pm I have owned --

A 17' Folbot twin kayak , paddle or sail
a 15' square stern aluminum Grumman , used this in Canada a lot with a 4hp motor to fish and troll
a 13'8" OldTown Loon kayak, a favorite
a 10' Perception kayak , fishing champ
paladin you'll have to come down to the lake n kayak er canoe around the lake sometime.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:52 am What's a price range on a decent middle to top shelf Kayak, Paladin?
trench they have real good deals on kayaks at the rural king here at waverly. if you want top shelf, I'd recommend a hobie. but paladin would be the cat to ask about that. but ole hank parker is a sales person fer hobie, and they look awesome.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Trench, it all depends on what you will use it for and where you will use it. Also, if you are a bigger guy, you will need a bigger one for you (and equipment if you are going to fish).

You can find good selections at a Dicks Sporting Goods, a Gander Mt. (now bankrupt and closed but coming out as Gander Outdoors) or a local sporting goods store that carries kayaks. You can actually find acceptable ones at Walmart . Hobies are good but expensive. Old Town , Perception, Wilderness Systems , and several other kayaks at Dicks and Walmart work well. Smaller guy in quite lake or river would find 10-12' kayaks that work. Bigger guys on the same water may need 12'-14'. Basic equipment should include rod holders, small anchor, bungee cords for securing small cooler, electronics or tackle box and a paddle keeper ( bungee that straps the paddle against the boat when not in use).

Minimal boats on sale for $200-400. Better boats for $700-900. Always wear a life preserver.

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Thanks for the info guys. Not as bad as I thought the price would be. I'm about 6' 215 pounds give or take. What size Kayak would fit me best? Be fun sometime on a smooth calm lake for me. :)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

like paladin said, it is according on what you are using it for. if primarily just to boat. and at your size. the ones at dick's or rural king would be fine. if you want to fish I'd get a better one. the bungee straps are a must for securing things down. esp. if you intend to fish. they also have ones with a compartment you can store things in. the hobie's have a foot pedal mechanism. where you don't have to paddle. you just propel yourself really quietly along using your feet. by pushing up and down on two pedals similar to the gas n brake on a car. it is propelled by 2 small moving oars underneath you. so these are ideal for fishing as it requires no paddling. paladin mentioned several brands I'm not familiar with. but if I planned on fishing I'd go that route. if just for getting out on the water to glide around, you are going to be pleasantly surprised pricewise. like he said buy yourself a nice life jacket. you can buy the bigger bulkier ones like they used to make. or now they have life jackets that are very light n thin in profile. more like a vest. and they have a pull cord. if you go over, you simply pull a cord and they inflate instantly.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and they will keep your head above water , especially if somehow you were unconscious.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Also important to know that they make sit on top kayaks and sit in kayaks. I have always had sit ins. More protection from rain and sun, some equipment can be stored inside and enclosed dry storage also available. Sit on tops are probably better in warmer climates. Those are usually heavier. At your side, 10-12' should work. Make sure your paddle size is long enough to easily clear each side on a paddle stroke.

Dicks has a line called Pelican kayaks. Walmart has Sun Dolphin kayaks. Both can be searched for on the Internet to see what they look like ,features, etc.

Have gun, will travel
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

DEFINATELY GO WITH THE SIT IN KAYAKS.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I like the ski type vests. Was pretty comfy when I use to go water tubing and ski on the Muskingum river. I'll have to go check some Kayak's out sometime. I fish but I let them go back free after catching them. :D Not a big fishermen, but will definitely keep everything in mind from the info you gave me fella's. Thanks Bait & Paladin.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

no worries hoss.
personally I prefer a canoe and always have. but I have never kayaked. but if I'm on the water , I'm gonna fish.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and I'm kinda a hosscat myself. and kayaks never looked that alluring to me, I gotta have some room.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

I have a 8ft Sit on top Kayak from Lifetime its called the Hydros angler. Made for fishing. I take it all over Fayette county and fish paint creek. Very stable light weight i carry with 1 arm or can drag handles well on the creek and i have taken it to Paint Creek lake , and cowan lake and done very well.

I would not get a sit in kayak , i would recommend sit on top, I am looking to upgrade to a 12 ft sit on top

coyote II
Waterboy

Post by coyote II »

I just love kayaking. Get ya a two man 15 footer and ride that thing on the water up and down all over shade river.

watermeloncrawl
Waterboy

Post by watermeloncrawl »

just bought this off of craigslist thoughts????

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I cain't imagine a sit on top fishin kayak and fishin especially after 7 knee surgeries and a broken back. I'd have to sit like chief wahoo mac--daniels and at 295 pounds, I'd be crampin up and hurting like I'd just finished running the boston marathon. then somebody would have to install a cherry picker on my dock to get me off of it when I'm done. then I'd need a phone on my flagpole on the dock to call me an am --ballance

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”