any sauger action yet at the greenup dam ?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

any sauger action yet at the greenup dam ?

Post by ManitouDan »

?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: any sauger action yet at the greenup dam ?

Post by kantuckyII »

Seemed they always turned on real good right as the time fell back but...that was years ago, don't know when it did back them, probably about now? or maybe earlier? I miss fishing down there but right now, with my back, no way I can stand that long..and I don't want to put my boat in there as I don't want to get it dirty :122246

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I heard from friend they were catching a few and some white bass and hybrids.

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

my buddy and i caught around 14 sauger and boat load of white bass today at eureka locks in gallia county.

bilco 2
Freshman Team

Post by bilco 2 »

whats the best thing to use for bait for sauger around here.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

depending on time of year and fish location either a lead head jig tipped with a minnow OR a Hopkins type spoon in the current ( flat fluttering spoon) MD

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I would think the water was way too warm to tip with a minnow? years ago, when my son was young, we'd go down there in my boat, like in Late Feb, early March. We'd toss (this was more down towards the rocks on the point) jigs tipped with shinners, we'd wear them out. However, once the water temps got above 50, they wouldn't hit that much but wore us out on grubs on ball head jig.

I was on the river Saturday in my boat, the water was 67.8 on the main river, still pretty warm. However, it was down to 61.3 up the Little Sandy River. Both probably have raised a degree since then with the warmer temps and the warm rain we've had

bilco 2
Freshman Team

Post by bilco 2 »

thanks for the input.

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

catching sauger by the bunches up at the greenup dam, good size fish being caught right now

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

little doggy wrote:catching sauger by the bunches up at the greenup dam, good size fish being caught right now
thanks for the report doggy

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

herard reports that mon and tues were very good. Today I fished from 2;30 to 4;30 out of the boat. caught 2 . very slow . not many moving today , too pretty MD

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

ManitouDan wrote:herard reports that mon and tues were very good. Today I fished from 2;30 to 4;30 out of the boat. caught 2 . very slow . not many moving today , too pretty MD
Get up to the greenup dam very early and make sure you stay in the current. Throw a silver buddy, keep it close to the bottom and you should catch a limit in no time.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

went back thurs, dozen boats up there yesterday , no one was doing much good, no current hardly on the ky side. talked to several guys that fished the ohio side. nothing much was going on. need some current and clouds IMO. Most folks were catching 1-2 per hour , I saw one boat with 3 people in 1 spot right up against the concrete doing better with minnows.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

fish were running well today on the ohio side. I was in the boat and caught 40-50 , fished about 5 hours I'd guess. Bank fisherman were catching them pretty well also. No fish on the Ky side , current is whacky over there. caught them on both hopkis spoon and live minnows. good size also. caught 1 large crappie, a small LM bass, , 1 white perch, and 1 striper. fun day MD

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Funniest day I ever had down at the Greenup Dam was on Thanksgiving, back in the early 90's. It was pouring a warm rain, there was only one other person down there and I was standing at the beam WEARING Out those big white bass, the one's you can't hardly wrap your hands around. This was before cell phones and everyone was expecting me to be there for Thanksgiving dinner and after...being about an hour late, I knew they'd be worried to death so I had to leave but boy, was I having fun. Got one every single cast by letting it drift passed the beam, reeled it slow in front of it, would drop it quickly so the current pulled it under the beam and bam, there would be another..and another and another

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Went up today fished down on the point didn't feel like fooling with the boat caught 3 in a couple of hours they were nice fish caught them on chartreuse twister tail the water needs to come up a few feet, there was about a thousand gulls up there hammering the shad should of got some some skipjacks out of the freezer and went catfishing.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

kantuckyII wrote:Funniest day I ever had down at the Greenup Dam was on Thanksgiving, back in the early 90's. It was pouring a warm rain, there was only one other person down there and I was standing at the beam WEARING Out those big white bass, the one's you can't hardly wrap your hands around. This was before cell phones and everyone was expecting me to be there for Thanksgiving dinner and after...being about an hour late, I knew they'd be worried to death so I had to leave but boy, was I having fun. Got one every single cast by letting it drift passed the beam, reeled it slow in front of it, would drop it quickly so the current pulled it under the beam and bam, there would be another..and another and another
Went up there about 4 years ago with my oldest son he was about 7 at the time we were fishing out of my buddies pontoon I rigged his pole with 2 aberdeen hooks and a basscasting sinker useing minnows in 2 hours he must of caught 50 or 60 he kept me very busy that day, I bet I didn't make 20 cast ,that day on the way home he told me he sure did have fun that day but he wished that I could of got to catch more I just laught and thought thats priceless .Just one of the sacrifices a parent make for their children.
Last edited by BigBlueNation on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

That's what it's all about.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Went up sunday and caught a few out of the boat would of done better but I forgot to put my anchors in the boat and that made it a pain in the butt.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”