OHSSA letter to parents

General Chat
itsme
Varsity

OHSSA letter to parents

Post by itsme »

Everyone needs to read letter that OHSSA release a couple days ago. Made national news

tigercat1
Varsity

Re: OHSSA letter to parents

Post by tigercat1 »

Here is the copy and paste version of it for easier reading ...

Dear Mom and Dad: Cool it

By Karissa Niehoff and Jerry Snodgrass

If you are the mother or father of a high school athlete here in Ohio, this message is primarily for you.

When you attend an athletic event that involves your son or daughter, cheer to your heart’s content, enjoy the camaraderie that high school sports offer and have fun. But when it comes to verbally criticizing game officials or coaches, cool it.

Make no mistake about it. Your passion is admired, and your support of the hometown team is needed. But so is your self-control. Yelling, screaming and berating the officials humiliates your child, annoys those sitting around you, embarrasses your child’s school and is the primary reason Ohio has an alarming shortage of high school officials.

It’s true. According to a recent survey by the National Association of Sports Officials, more than 75 percent of all high school officials say “adult behavior” is the primary reason they quit. And 80 percent of all young officials hang up their stripes after just two years of whistle blowing. Why? They don’t need your abuse.

Plus, there’s a ripple effect. There are more officials over 60 than under 30 in many areas. And as older, experienced officials retire, there aren’t enough younger ones to replace them. If there are no officials, there are no games. The shortage of licensed high school officials is severe enough in some areas that athletic events are being postponed or cancelled—especially at the freshman and junior varsity levels.

Research confirms that participation in high school sports and activities instills a sense of pride in school and community, teaches lifelong lessons like the value of teamwork and self-discipline and facilitates the physical and emotional development of those who participate. So, if the games go away because there aren’t enough men and women to officiate them, the loss will be infinitely greater than just an “L” on the scoreboard. It will be putting a dent in your community’s future.

If you would like to be a part of the solution to the shortage of high school officials, you can sign up to become a licensed official at HighSchoolOfficials.com. Otherwise, adult role models at high school athletic events here in Ohio are always welcome.

Karissa Niehoff is the Executive Director of the National Federation of State High School Associations, and Jerry Snodgrass is Executive Director of the Ohio High School Athletic Association.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

As one who sometimes gets vocal at games, I get it. I never really thought about the long term consequences, but from this point forward, I will try to do better.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

So adult behavior is the "primary" reason?? What is the secondary reason and how close does the study show the 2?? Because while I get what they're trying to say, I also have to take the stance of referees knew exactly what they were getting into and I think there's other contributing factors as well. Maybe they didn't realize the cost associated with it vs the money they were compensated, not enough mind you, for referring these games. Maybe officials need to be given more power, although an abuse of power could very well happen. Take the Kansas City chiefs game this weekend where fans were throwing snow balls, the chiefs were warned they would receive a 15 yard penalty if the fans continued to throw snowballs. Maybe we look into these fans that are just over the top and start giving technicals to the teams for being unable to control their fans. I guarantee tommy's parents who are berating the official will cool it the first time the official hands out a technical to tommy's team.

I get it, even I get vocal at a game but typically it's on what I perceive as an obvious call that was made or wasn't. I'm not going to sit there and yell at everything called, because fouls happens and I'm not out there to see things from his or her point of view when they make the call. Love the OSHAA is sending out a letter but seems more like a blame the parents for lack of officials game to me. Sorry just not going to sit here and believe that travel and lack of pay to put up with these antics don't equal each other out. Most when asked about officiating say, "they couldn't pay me enough to listen to all of this," well the reality is they don't and that's just another reason we are short on officials. Not to mention the age group they are referring to are going to have kids that are playing ball and they hang it up to watch them. This is why you end up with an older group of officials.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

That’s over and back!!!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Fans are no different when it comes to yelling at referees now than they were 50 years ago. Fans haven’t gotten worse. We’re the same idiots yelling “3 seconds” “call it both ways” “that’s over the back” etc that were yelling it 50 years ago. What’s changed is the sensitivity of the officials and the general public. Everyone getting their feelings hurt way too easy. There isn’t a single referee that puts on the pin stripes that isn’t aware of the abuse that comes with the job. Here’s an idea. Just focus on getting better at your job and block out the nonsense, you’re professionals. If getting yelled at by passionate fans causes you that much grief then hang up the sneakers and do something else with your time. After reading that letter from ohsaa I’m making it my personal mission to yell at refs even more

Here’s another thought. Maybe parents are worse and it’s because the quality of the officiating has gotten so bad. Maybe the letter should read OHSAA letter to officials.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

And it doesn’t surprise me at all that there are more officials over 60 than under 30. It’s called thicker skin

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:22 pm And it doesn’t surprise me at all that there are more officials over 60 than under 30. It’s called thicker skin
Oh yes.....the good ole’ “young whippersnappers can’t handle it” crap again. Yes......let’s blame an entire generation. Stop trying to put people in proverbial boxes so you can kick them when you want and throw them on a shelf. Have some common sense and compassion for human beings of different ages, different beliefs and different backgrounds. Let’s try and come together in some way rather than divide.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:34 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:22 pm And it doesn’t surprise me at all that there are more officials over 60 than under 30. It’s called thicker skin
Oh yes.....the good ole’ “young whippersnappers can’t handle it” crap again. Yes......let’s blame an entire generation. Stop trying to put people in proverbial boxes so you can kick them when you want and throw them on a shelf. Have some common sense and compassion for human beings of different ages, different beliefs and different backgrounds. Let’s try and come together in some way rather than divide.
Guessing you are under 30, lol. My apologies

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 pm
Negative sir/ma’am. Over 30 and a combat Veteran. Just someone who despises to see the citizens of this nation that I wore a uniform for tear each other apart over something as trivial as age.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Negative sir/ma’am. Over 30 and a combat Veteran. Just someone who despises to see the citizens of this nation that I wore a uniform for tear each other apart over something as trivial as age.
This getting too deep for me. I’m just here to bash refs

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:42 pm

Bash away......but please be sure to bash the 60 year old ones just as much as you do the 30 year old ones. 😉

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:42 pm

Bash away......but please be sure to bash the 60 year old ones just as much as you do the 30 year old ones. 😉
I’m an equal opportunist basher.

What is your educated opinion on why there are more 60 year old refs than 30 year old refs?

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

It’s certainly generational in nature. Question I would ask is 30-40 years ago were there more 60 year old refs than 30 year old refs? I would venture to guess yes. While I am in my mid-30s and I would love to ref (been asked to take the course by one of my ref buddies), I have three kids, work full time an hour from where I live, coach travel baseball, assistant coach youth basketball and try my best to be a good father and husband. So for me, it’s a time issue. Only so many ways you can divide me. I would venture to say that is likely the case for many people in the younger generation. It’s not their priority just as it wasn’t 30-40 years ago for 30 year olds at that time. Now in 20 years once all the craziness subsides, I may consider reffing because I will have the time.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Overall, parents are worse now than when I started covering high school sports in 2004 as a college student. And, yes, it is nitpicking a lot of calls.

Good officials expect to hear some criticism on a borderline/tough call, and most folks are fine with it as long as it's constructive. I've had officials come ask me what I thought of the call with the angle I had, and I give them an honest assessment. Being verbally abusive to an official or riding them all game should get an automatic ejection. You are embarrassing yourself, you're embarrassing your kid, your school and we're sick of hearing it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bman wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:06 am Overall, parents are worse now than when I started covering high school sports in 2004 as a college student. And, yes, it is nitpicking a lot of calls.

Good officials expect to hear some criticism on a borderline/tough call, and most folks are fine with it as long as it's constructive. I've had officials come ask me what I thought of the call with the angle I had, and I give them an honest assessment. Being verbally abusive to an official or riding them all game should get an automatic ejection. You are embarrassing yourself, you're embarrassing your kid, your school and we're sick of hearing it.
I've seen officials kick people out of games, so they have that power, let's not act like they're powerless to do anything. I just think it should be done more if it is such an issue.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 pm I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Fans are no different when it comes to yelling at referees now than they were 50 years ago. Fans haven’t gotten worse. We’re the same idiots yelling “3 seconds” “call it both ways” “that’s over the back” etc that were yelling it 50 years ago. What’s changed is the sensitivity of the officials and the general public. Everyone getting their feelings hurt way too easy. There isn’t a single referee that puts on the pin stripes that isn’t aware of the abuse that comes with the job. Here’s an idea. Just focus on getting better at your job and block out the nonsense, you’re professionals. If getting yelled at by passionate fans causes you that much grief then hang up the sneakers and do something else with your time. After reading that letter from ohsaa I’m making it my personal mission to yell at refs even more

Here’s another thought. Maybe parents are worse and it’s because the quality of the officiating has gotten so bad. Maybe the letter should read OHSAA letter to officials.
"You're professionals"

Let's see....In my group of officials we have a salesman, an accountant, an OTA, an IT guy, several teachers, some students, and a couple other miscellaneous careers. So no, we are not professionals. We are people that are out there because we love the game. We are not out there to have every Tom, Dick, and Harry that is sitting 150 feet from the play yelling at us.

This is my first year doing this. I am nearly 60 games in. I have not given a single technical. I have not ejected anyone. I have thick skin. But parents and people are so much worse than they 15-20 years ago. I have coached 2 years prior to this. I have seen it from both sides. I am 36 years old. It is so much worse than it was when I played. If you don't see it then you aren't looking.

If the officiating has gotten so bad, please message me. I will personally pay your $60 to take the class next fall. Then you can come across and give it a shot and improve the quality throughout Southeastern Ohio.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:03 am
mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 pm I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Fans are no different when it comes to yelling at referees now than they were 50 years ago. Fans haven’t gotten worse. We’re the same idiots yelling “3 seconds” “call it both ways” “that’s over the back” etc that were yelling it 50 years ago. What’s changed is the sensitivity of the officials and the general public. Everyone getting their feelings hurt way too easy. There isn’t a single referee that puts on the pin stripes that isn’t aware of the abuse that comes with the job. Here’s an idea. Just focus on getting better at your job and block out the nonsense, you’re professionals. If getting yelled at by passionate fans causes you that much grief then hang up the sneakers and do something else with your time. After reading that letter from ohsaa I’m making it my personal mission to yell at refs even more

"You're professionals"

Let's see....In my group of officials we have a salesman, an accountant, an OTA, an IT guy, several teachers, some students, and a couple other miscellaneous careers. So no, we are not professionals. We are people that are out there because we love the game. We are not out there to have every Tom, Dick, and Harry that is sitting 150 feet from the play yelling at us.

This is my first year doing this. I am nearly 60 games in. I have not given a single technical. I have not ejected anyone. I have thick skin. But parents and people are so much worse than they 15-20 years ago. I have coached 2 years prior to this. I have seen it from both sides. I am 36 years old. It is so much worse than it was when I played. If you don't see it then you aren't looking.

If the officiating has gotten so bad, please message me. I will personally pay your $60 to take the class next fall. Then you can come across and give it a shot and improve the quality throughout Southeastern Ohio.
They’re paid to do a job which is the definition of a professional.

I’m 39 and 7/8ths and I remember parents yelling at officials and getting thrown out of games at no different rate than they are now.

I would take you up on that $60 but just like voting, one person doesn’t make a difference.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mlittle wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:03 am

"You're professionals"

They’re paid to do a job which is the definition of a professional.

I’m 39 and 7/8ths and I remember parents yelling at officials and getting thrown out of games at no different rate than they are now.

I would take you up on that $60 but just like voting, one person doesn’t make a difference.
P.S. how you get your name green like that? I want mine to do that, too!

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

No respect to the game and officials ---it is a sad day.

Return to “The Off season”