Referee!!!

General Chat
clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Referee!!!

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

A Saturday for this referee. I will leave my house at 4:10 arrive at a designated pick up place to meet one of my partners. Proceed to drive to another pick up place to meet our third official for tonight’s game. Let’s say both teams undefeated 4-0 early in the season. My partners are from Wheelersburg and Hillsboro and I’m coming from Stout. We will arrive like we do 99% of the time at a packed house tonight at approximately 6:00 P.M. My drive is the shortest of the three @ 1 hour and 35 minutes one way. We will watch the first half of the JV game and then head to get dressed to do the best job in the world. We will try to be consistent on both ends of the floor, hustle to where we are supposed to be, use proper mechanics all while facing adversity from fans on both sides. Comments: three seconds, walk, over the back, call it both ways, reaching in, he is pushing, illegal screen, watch the elbows and many more! Some which I won’t put down because of /)&$;@&)-. One team will win and the other will suffer their first loss. We will head back to where we changed l,to shower and get dressed. We will drive back to all of our homes arriving approximately 11:15-12:15 for $70 each. Is it about the money we receive? You all answer that and I believe most of you wil say ,NO. For Love of The Game!!!!! Approximately 7 hours of work—-Priceless.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Referee!!!

Post by Ironman92 »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 am A Saturday for this referee. I will leave my house at 4:10 arrive at a designated pick up place to meet one of my partners. Proceed to drive to another pick up place to meet our third official for tonight’s game. Let’s say both teams undefeated 4-0 early in the season. My partners are from Wheelersburg and Hillsboro and I’m coming from Stout. We will arrive like we do 99% of the time at a packed house tonight at approximately 6:00 P.M. My drive is the shortest of the three @ 1 hour and 35 minutes one way. We will watch the first half of the JV game and then head to get dressed to do the best job in the world. We will try to be consistent on both ends of the floor, hustle to where we are supposed to be, use proper mechanics all while facing adversity from fans on both sides. Comments: three seconds, walk, over the back, call it both ways, reaching in, he is pushing, illegal screen, watch the elbows and many more! Some which I won’t put down because of /)&$;@&)-. One team will win and the other will suffer their first loss. We will head back to where we changed l,to shower and get dressed. We will drive back to all of our homes arriving approximately 11:15-12:15 for $70 each. Is it about the money we receive? You all answer that and I believe most of you wil say ,NO. For Love of The Game!!!!! Approximately 7 hours of work—-Priceless.
Ref well and enjoy your free half of JV ball. Safe travels, watch out for deer on 32 near Rice Rd in Jackson Co and all the way thru Vinton Co

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

You guys called a great game last night! Always glad when I see your name on the sheet when I arrive to the gym. Safe travels tonight!

Loyal Loyal to The West Side
clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Thank you Cameron Crazie, appreciate the comment. Ironman- Thank you and we will be careful. I must say I hit a deer Nov 7 and still haven’t gotten my truck back yet. 😡🤮🤑

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

clevelandbrowns#1 ... you & the crew always do a great job ! ... it's great running into you throughout the season ... I see lots of hoops throughout every year in all of the corners of Southern/Southeast Ohio - you & your crew are one of the best my friend ... as always safe travels & see you court side in a gym sooner than later I'm sure ...

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Pfloyd,
Thank you my friend, I truly appreciate those comments coming from you. We are in your neck of the woods tonight!!

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

It’s not about the money. You hardly break even and probably lose unless you do a lot of games. But it keeps you in the love of the game.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

A thankless job and one I would not want. Thanks for your commitment to the sport.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
bradyquinnd
Waterboy

Post by bradyquinnd »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 am A Saturday for this referee. I will leave my house at 4:10 arrive at a designated pick up place to meet one of my partners. Proceed to drive to another pick up place to meet our third official for tonight’s game. Let’s say both teams undefeated 4-0 early in the season. My partners are from Wheelersburg and Hillsboro and I’m coming from Stout. We will arrive like we do 99% of the time at a packed house tonight at approximately 6:00 P.M. My drive is the shortest of the three @ 1 hour and 35 minutes one way. We will watch the first half of the JV game and then head to get dressed to do the best job in the world. We will try to be consistent on both ends of the floor, hustle to where we are supposed to be, use proper mechanics all while facing adversity from fans on both sides. Comments: three seconds, walk, over the back, call it both ways, reaching in, he is pushing, illegal screen, watch the elbows and many more! Some which I won’t put down because of /)&$;@&)-. One team will win and the other will suffer their first loss. We will head back to where we changed l,to shower and get dressed. We will drive back to all of our homes arriving approximately 11:15-12:15 for $70 each. Is it about the money we receive? You all answer that and I believe most of you wil say ,NO. For Love of The Game!!!!! Approximately 7 hours of work—-Priceless.
Great post Clevelandbrowns---that is my life 3 months out of the year as well, and we do it anywhere from 40-50 times a year, there is 1 thing I would like to add that everyone understands, we DO NOT care who wins these games. like was stated above we try and be consistent and do the best job we can because we love the game

Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

Quick question, did you play the game when you were younger?

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Superman,
Yes, played the game all the way through high school. Wplayed in the Ohio/ Kentucky All Star Game—- years ago. Played Div 1 baseball in college.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Question....

Does getting a speeding ticket on the way to the game qualify as a tax write-off?

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Crabs brother,
It should!! Lol

Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:09 pm Superman,
Yes, played the game all the way through high school. Wplayed in the Ohio/ Kentucky All Star Game—- years ago. Played Div 1 baseball in college.
Thanks. That helps with a theory I'm working on.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I truly believe refs should make $100/game.

The extreme majority of schools bring in plenty enough at the gate to cover this. Also, this would keep qualified and high level referees in the business instead of moving onto something else they could make more money at.

Make it happen SE Ohio!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

The quality of officiating has been very good at the games I have been TO . I agree $75 is not enough . I would not do it for $750. Respect the game and the ones that make it what it is.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 am I truly believe refs should make $100/game.

The extreme majority of schools bring in plenty enough at the gate to cover this. Also, this would keep qualified and high level referees in the business instead of moving onto something else they could make more money at.

Make it happen SE Ohio!
I don’t believe paying officials more would increase quality. If anything it would encourage more unqualified people to apply just for the pay and when I say more unqualified people I mean idiots.

Most officials officiate because it’s a way for them to stay attached to the sport when their playing time ends. Some help coach and some officiate. Few do it for the money.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I have been refereeing for 10 years now (wow time flies by) and I do it because:
1. I love the game and love being on the floor ( blessed to still be able to run up and down the court)
2. Gets me out of the Winter time blues and out of the house.
3. Spend time with some good buddies and have that friendship.
4. Extra Spending Money. Not a great deal but it does help out during the Holidays and other Misc. items.

Love working during the Season, but especially love working tournament games and having that tournament atmosphere. Looking forward to another enjoyable tournament season.
I will say that as the seasons go on it does seem we are increasing in more and more idiots in the stands that just can't help themselves when it comes to yelling ( 3 seconds, travel (walk), over the back, body, get their hands off, and other things.....) LOL but hey it goes with the territory. "YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID!"

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:46 am I have been refereeing for 10 years now (wow time flies by) and I do it because:
1. I love the game and love being on the floor ( blessed to still be able to run up and down the court)
2. Gets me out of the Winter time blues and out of the house.
3. Spend time with some good buddies and have that friendship.
4. Extra Spending Money. Not a great deal but it does help out during the Holidays and other Misc. items.

Love working during the Season, but especially love working tournament games and having that tournament atmosphere. Looking forward to another enjoyable tournament season.
I will say that as the seasons go on it does seem we are increasing in more and more idiots in the stands that just can't help themselves when it comes to yelling ( 3 seconds, travel (walk), over the back, body, get their hands off, and other things.....) LOL but hey it goes with the territory. "YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID!"
We as loyal fans and stewards of the game realize the many tasks bestowed upon officials with so many things to look for during the game and new rule changes every season. When I yell those things to officials I’m just doing my duty as a fan of the game to help them out so they don’t miss the obvious stuff and I do that every game and get paid zero extra dollars. That’s a true love for the game

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

Nice discussion on officials this week on SVC Sports Talk. Topics about number declining and why, and how some rule changes could help officials.

http://dbkmediaservices.com/wordpress/s ... talk121718

Return to “The Off season”