Convo Refs on Saturday

General Chat
2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Re: Convo Refs on Saturday

Post by 2quick2catch »

Piketon bailed out again, it will take more then that next week.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Might be a good thing for the kid in the long run. Growth opportunity. It doesn’t matter if he was right or wrong —- he put himself above the team for a few seconds and it Cost the team. The referee is in charge. My coach used to say — “ if you reach then you give the referee an option — he might call a foul on you simply to get you to stop reaching”. If you keep your mouth shut then there’s no problem. You ever notice the really great refs will call a foul early —- like when a player gets a rebound and the defender closest reaches in — a good referee calls that and stops the action. In A junior high Game this runs rampant.

The referees at The Convo in District play are our best. They do a very good job.

My first year coaching varsity I thought we were getting homered. The refs ignored me. When I said something to the AD about paying them — he replied — “ they might have been bad but they were better than that team you put on the floor “. He was right. Shut me up quick.

The refs have less missed calls than turnovers by the teams. They do fine.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

2quick2catch wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:16 am Piketon bailed out again, it will take more then that next week.
How'd they get bailed out?? Because Alex crumbled under the pressure?? By saying bailed out you're implying they had nothing to do with Alex falling apart in that 4th quarter. Guess someone else was shooting for them too.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 amMy first year coaching varsity I thought we were getting homered. The refs ignored me. When I said something to the AD about paying them — he replied — “ they might have been bad but they were better than that team you put on the floor “. He was right. Shut me up quick.

hahahaha good one

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

This game shouldn't have been a close game Piketon IMO should have won this game by 20 so is Piketon over rated or did they just have a bad game? Burg will give Piketon all they want and then some! Can't wait til Saturday gonna be an exciting game

Burg grad 85
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 am Might be a good thing for the kid in the long run. Growth opportunity. It doesn’t matter if he was right or wrong —- he put himself above the team for a few seconds and it Cost the team. The referee is in charge. My coach used to say — “ if you reach then you give the referee an option — he might call a foul on you simply to get you to stop reaching”. If you keep your mouth shut then there’s no problem. You ever notice the really great refs will call a foul early —- like when a player gets a rebound and the defender closest reaches in — a good referee calls that and stops the action. In A junior high Game this runs rampant.

The referees at The Convo in District play are our best. They do a very good job.

My first year coaching varsity I thought we were getting homered. The refs ignored me. When I said something to the AD about paying them — he replied — “ they might have been bad but they were better than that team you put on the floor “. He was right. Shut me up quick.

LMAO, I liked that!

Sidenote: always enjoy the comment “home team pays the refs!” Of course, they do: that’s who pays the officials to do the game in the first place!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

That was 1994.

Bob Huggins told a great story at a Clinic about 20 years ago. He was at UC. Nike clinic. He said his father was who he learned everything from. Great HS coach in Ohio —- he taught him very well. So early in Bob’s career he’s coaching at Small College level and he’s on the road. One referee in particular is favoring the home team ( in Bobs opinion) so he calls timeout. Coming out of the timeout the action proceeds for a little and then The Referee stops the game and approaches Huggins. “Coach — why do you have two of your players guarding me?”

Bob. “ my father always taught me to double team the guy who was killing me and right now You’re killing me!”

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:04 am Understand you would've liked to seen it called earlier in the game, however without knowing what was said maybe it wasn't warranted at that point. Ref calls it earlier in the game, Piketon hits the free throws we're in the same situation score wise. Nothing can predict that he learns his lesson and doesn't get another T with 20 sec. left to go in the game. Without knowing what was said earlier in the game and later in the game to get the T we can only speculate. I have to error on the side of the ref on this though, no ref is going to want to call that T in that situation unless the coach or player has gone above and beyond the code of conduct that is acceptable in that refs eyes.
Agreed. It’s really hard for me to make that argument without knowing what was said but man that was untimely. The coach was definitely irate and even shoulder checked one of his players on his way to the official.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Lol, well at least I tried

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:43 pm Lol, well at least I tried
That's why you shouldn't make posts that compliment referees. No matter how good they were all day (and they were), people will still be upset about them lol

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Swingle got thumped on all night in the PV game with no calls. Nothing new though there as it was that way for 4 years. Other than that I didn’t see anything that was bad at all.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Refs done a great job all,day they made no difference in the outcome of none of the games so ,good job

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:01 pm
That's why you shouldn't make posts that compliment referees. No matter how good they were all day (and they were), people will still be upset about them lol
Hell, my team won and I’m still complaining 😀. There is just no pleasing some people.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mlittle wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:46 pm
Hell, my team won and I’m still complaining 😀. There is just no pleasing some people.
Lol, well to be fair, I thought Issac's behind the back carry was the worst call of the day, so I get it.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:04 pm
mlittle wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Lol, well to be fair, I thought Issac's behind the back carry was the worst call of the day, so I get it.
Lol, he had a rough game. He gets a chance to make up for it Saturday! 😉

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:42 pm Swingle got thumped on all night in the PV game with no calls. Nothing new though there as it was that way for 4 years. Other than that I didn’t see anything that was bad at all.
I'm not a PV fan, but you are correct. Swingle was fouled every time he touched the ball. It is a crime the way the officials allow kids to beat on him.

Also, during the SE/ Eastern game they let kids travel all over the place.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Sid Farkus wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:02 pm
CavalierAlum05 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:42 pm Swingle got thumped on all night in the PV game with no calls. Nothing new though there as it was that way for 4 years. Other than that I didn’t see anything that was bad at all.
I'm not a PV fan, but you are correct. Swingle was fouled every time he touched the ball. It is a crime the way the officials allow kids to beat on him.

Also, during the SE/ Eastern game they let kids travel all over the place.
He might've been. Just seemed to be more content 10-15 feet away for the most part, for whatever reason. That's probably why I (nor the folks around me) didn't really notice it.

Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

I know of 1 that was obviously against the hornets today but he got beat as well . . Hard to play against 6 or 7 🙄

I’m a neutral fannnnn of every one in southern ohio
ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

TVC wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:37 am [quote=ronm001 post_id=1648486 time=1520173088 user_ Perdue gets hammered everygame if wr hit him when flashes open and not be late with the pass he would have much less help d on him we cant pass it on the paint or we won't dont know which it is
Could someone please interpret this?
[/quote]

Sorry you're perfect my voice typing was bad

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I thought they did pretty well overall but you are right, the Swingle kid got beat to death every time he touched the ball near the basket. It's almost like the refs around here treat the bigger kids a little different around here because they already feel they have an edge with their size. IMO that is total BS!!! I don't care how big you are, if you go for a rebound and you get a little shove in the back it will throw off your rhythm just enough to take you out of position.

Return to “The Off season”