REFEREES

General Chat
AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

REFEREES

Post by AnkleBraces »

Is anything being done to influence new/quality talent? It seems like parents/coaches are on the officials more so than I ever remember. I believe this has created a hostile environment each night that isn't worth the cash.

Huge part of the game. Just thinking about it lately.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: REFEREES

Post by danicalifornia »

Not that I know of. I do know that there are some really good young officials out of this area, but not enough at this point. I have a really good friend who has done it for a few years and he's gotten at the point to where he just calls his game and doesn't let anything influence his calls. But, I think he had to get through those first couple of years first where it can be really rough with coaches/parents.

I umpired a couple of middle school games a few years back and it wasn't worth the hassle to me, so while I might be hard on officials from time to time, I don't envy them at all. And I think I didn't even get it that bad in comparison to some of the stuff that I've seen the last couple of years.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

We're starting to see shortages in officials in sports like soccer. The MSL was having a hard time getting officials with all the OCC games in the metro Columbus area, so they moved their matches to Wednesday's and Saturday's.

If the officiating is not very good, which I've seen at a couple of games this season then the folks have a right to boo. But when some people nitpick every call or want it called one way on one end and another on their end, those folks need to be quiet.

Profanity is never called for, and I've heard that too much this season. Profanity should be an automatic ejection of the fan. It's a high school game.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

I think the speed of the game and Quality effects the officiating . The one call that is usually a judgement call is the charge or is it a blocking foul . Half the people are satisfied and the other half are screaming . Over all I think officiating is better than last year .IMO Question is there a lead official of the group that can over rule another ? Seems like from a Fans point of view this happens . Maybe the more experience official is the one to over rule a call . Any input from an official . One thing for sure no officials no games so as fans just cheer on your team . Most payers will not dwell on a judgement call. They forget it on the next play ( If they are focused ).

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

The game is evolving faster than the officials are. Especially in southern Ohio. If you have a child that plays AAU then you'll know what I mean.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

I think if a official wants to get better and do a good job, They should look at some games they done and learn from it. Every game is taped nowadays, my problem is from a (few )it's about them and not what the right call should be.

You can't handle the truth
clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Truth&Fiction, mlittle-speed of the game? I personally think the game has slowed down. The majority of the games are actually more sloppily played because of the lack of ball handling, fundamentals of defense and less skilled players. Look on each team and ask yourself how many players have worked on ball handling, shooting, quickness, etc...? If players don't put in time during the off season then the game and others who have pass them by.
Gametime- I personally watch myself 2-3 times a year on film to look at my positioning on court, my mechanics, my partners positioning, etc... I don't know how many other officials do this regularly but I do.
mlittle-AAU? This is a touch subject with coaches and officials. AAU-does have some positives: 1) Kids are playing 2) Kids are practicing 3)Most kids are playing with or against some better players. AAU-does have some negatives: 1) Officiating-It is usually a slugfest (strongest will survive). Then when they come back to play jr.high, or high school ball for their school the game is called tighter because we have to. 2) AAU-is based a lot on one on one and showcasing your skills. Defense is put on back burner for most. 3) players usually have better skilled athletes on their team, then return to school and play with less talent, frustration sets in because of this. Some it actually helps, but most I feel it hurts.
bman-shortage of officials? I agree. Why? 1)How they are treated by some fans at games. How long at your job would you allow people to scream at you, use foul language to you and threaten you? 2) $$$ 3) Time--I work a full time job=up at 5:45, get home and leave my house between 4:30-5:15 to go officiate. Arrive @ varsity game 6:00. Usually get dressed to call game in 3rd quarter of jv game. Call varsity game, leave gym anywhere between 9:15-9:45. Get home between 10:00-11:00. Get up and do it all over again. The driving to and from games is very demanding on us physically and mentally. Plus the wear and tear on our vehicles. I put over 5,000 miles on my vehicle driving to and from my games last year. 4) Behavior of coaches (very few) 5) meetings we have to attend on our off nights 6) Politics

Last but not least, basketball is a contact sport. There will be contact in it, so when you go to a game to watch it, expect it. Not every contact is a foul. We are there to manage the game from a rules stand point. We officiate from angles, from most of the angles that fans are at you can't see the straight up verticality of a defensive player. The block/charge call, the defensive player DOES NOT have to be set. If he/she takes it in the chest then most should call it a charge. The over the back (not in book) but we all know what it is. If there is no displacement or advantage gained then youy shoudn't penalize the player that is taller. Three seconds--you can't have one when ball is being taken out of bounds (that was said twice last night in my game). There are so many more rules that spectators have no clue about but don't have time to list them all.

I promise you all that 99% of us that wear the stripes don't care who wins/loses the game and aren't there to cheat your son/daughter!

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I have seen it from all POV's over the past 8-10 years. 1. from a coaching POV 2. from a fan POV 3. From an Official POV.
As a Coach (Junior High) you have two types of officials. The Old guys still hanging on to the game and the Newbies that are learning. Majority do a pretty good job but some are off a little. Very rarely said anything while I was coaching.
As a fan I have seen all types of officials, Very good crews to some very bad crews. Majority of the Bad Crews are guys who just don't hustle or can't run up and down the court to get into position. Then when they are out of position and miss a call the coach asks them and they get "defensive". Still seeing these type of guys get tournament games which is a shame because there are some good young refs out there that don't get any because of "politics"
As an official it's important to me to show up on time and do the best I can by hustling, managing, and knowing rules. Am I perfect? No Way! I miss plenty of calls and sometimes don't call something due to what ClevelandBrowns1 said. It's important to have "FLOW" and allow the things that have no advantage or disadvantage go. I believe my Crew allows teams to play. The problem is when you run into a coach that wants every little touch foul or call to be whistled. Then the coach gets angry and the players start feeding off their coach , then fans start feeding off players emotions. I believe a coach can settle things down by just "coaching". JMO

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

There just aren't enough good officials who are sticking around. The 3 year retention rate is under 25% for most referee organizations right now. There are two things that can help retain good young refs; referees being treated better or being paid better. I doubt the former is going to happen any time soon. It seems that gyms are as hostile as ever.

Locally, one of the issues is that West Virginia pays more at every level so those games are more desirable. Some of the smaller Ohio schools pay as low as $30 for a JV game. In WV, you are more than likely going to make $55. The difference for middle school can be as much as $50 per night.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm Truth&Fiction, mlittle-speed of the game? I personally think the game has slowed down. The majority of the games are actually more sloppily played because of the lack of ball handling, fundamentals of defense and less skilled players. Look on each team and ask yourself how many players have worked on ball handling, shooting, quickness, etc...? If players don't put in time during the off season then the game and others who have pass them by.
Gametime- I personally watch myself 2-3 times a year on film to look at my positioning on court, my mechanics, my partners positioning, etc... I don't know how many other officials do this regularly but I do.
mlittle-AAU? This is a touch subject with coaches and officials. AAU-does have some positives: 1) Kids are playing 2) Kids are practicing 3)Most kids are playing with or against some better players. AAU-does have some negatives: 1) Officiating-It is usually a slugfest (strongest will survive). Then when they come back to play jr.high, or high school ball for their school the game is called tighter because we have to. 2) AAU-is based a lot on one on one and showcasing your skills. Defense is put on back burner for most. 3) players usually have better skilled athletes on their team, then return to school and play with less talent, frustration sets in because of this. Some it actually helps, but most I feel it hurts.
bman-shortage of officials? I agree. Why? 1)How they are treated by some fans at games. How long at your job would you allow people to scream at you, use foul language to you and threaten you? 2) $$$ 3) Time--I work a full time job=up at 5:45, get home and leave my house between 4:30-5:15 to go officiate. Arrive @ varsity game 6:00. Usually get dressed to call game in 3rd quarter of jv game. Call varsity game, leave gym anywhere between 9:15-9:45. Get home between 10:00-11:00. Get up and do it all over again. The driving to and from games is very demanding on us physically and mentally. Plus the wear and tear on our vehicles. I put over 5,000 miles on my vehicle driving to and from my games last year. 4) Behavior of coaches (very few) 5) meetings we have to attend on our off nights 6) Politics

Last but not least, basketball is a contact sport. There will be contact in it, so when you go to a game to watch it, expect it. Not every contact is a foul. We are there to manage the game from a rules stand point. We officiate from angles, from most of the angles that fans are at you can't see the straight up verticality of a defensive player. The block/charge call, the defensive player DOES NOT have to be set. If he/she takes it in the chest then most should call it a charge. The over the back (not in book) but we all know what it is. If there is no displacement or advantage gained then youy shoudn't penalize the player that is taller. Three seconds--you can't have one when ball is being taken out of bounds (that was said twice last night in my game). There are so many more rules that spectators have no clue about but don't have time to list them all.

I promise you all that 99% of us that wear the stripes don't care who wins/loses the game and aren't there to cheat your son/daughter!
Thank you for your response and I agree to almost everything you have posted . I do believe that the game ( because of AAU Style ) is quicker but less quality Quicker. Hope that makes sense . I have watch over the years a bunch of AAU or travel BB and it's every player for him self on some teams . Very very little team work . That carries over into their school teams . The style of officiating is a lot different also . I think this contributes to what you called sloppily play . Most teams have 2 or 3 good ball handlers and their quality is usually pretty good, but if they can not readjust to HS ball it will show . Thanks again for your response on the charge or blocking fouls .As fans all we can ask is to call the game as you see it and as fans we should accept that and enjoy the game . Everyone makes a mistake . Heck I thought I made a mistake today but after thinking about it I was MISTAKEN .Lol Good luck and safe travel.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm Truth&Fiction, mlittle-speed of the game? I personally think the game has slowed down. The majority of the games are actually more sloppily played because of the lack of ball handling, fundamentals of defense and less skilled players. Look on each team and ask yourself how many players have worked on ball handling, shooting, quickness, etc...? If players don't put in time during the off season then the game and others who have pass them by.

I never mentioned speed of the game. I said it's evolution is ahead of most officials (not all). Just one example the euro step. When it was starting to be used a few years back it was called traveling 99% of the time used. Now it's still being called traveling occasionally but a lot of refs have evolved to learn it's actually not traveling but that 1 simple move has taken years for the officials to actually adjust to. I understand officials have a difficult job and there is no way I'd do it for the $50-$60 a game. The biggest problem is when you do have a terrible crew that's the one that sticks with you and gets talked about. Of the 16 games we've played this year we've had 3 horrible crews but for the most part it's been ok. There will never be a world where officials are gonna be perfect but there will also never be a world where fans don't complain about refs 😀

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 am It seems like parents/coaches are on the officials more so than I ever remember. I believe this has created a hostile environment each night.
I think example has been taken from national politicians and media people.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:49 pm I have seen it from all POV's over the past 8-10 years. 1. from a coaching POV 2. from a fan POV 3. From an Official POV.
As a Coach (Junior High) you have two types of officials. The Old guys still hanging on to the game and the Newbies that are learning. Majority do a pretty good job but some are off a little. Very rarely said anything while I was coaching.
As a fan I have seen all types of officials, Very good crews to some very bad crews. Majority of the Bad Crews are guys who just don't hustle or can't run up and down the court to get into position. Then when they are out of position and miss a call the coach asks them and they get "defensive". Still seeing these type of guys get tournament games which is a shame because there are some good young refs out there that don't get any because of "politics"
As an official it's important to me to show up on time and do the best I can by hustling, managing, and knowing rules. Am I perfect? No Way! I miss plenty of calls and sometimes don't call something due to what ClevelandBrowns1 said. It's important to have "FLOW" and allow the things that have no advantage or disadvantage go. I believe my Crew allows teams to play. The problem is when you run into a coach that wants every little touch foul or call to be whistled. Then the coach gets angry and the players start feeding off their coach , then fans start feeding off players emotions. I believe a coach can settle things down by just "coaching". JMO
Good post

mondayamqb
Freshman Team

Post by mondayamqb »

Go back to 2 man crews - helps the shortage - keep pay same or slightly increase

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Question for officials .

Why do you guys/gals let players show you up after fouls . I bet over 50% of the players stare at the refs or roll their eyes or whatever they do after they've been called for a violation. Saw an official Have a fan in the nose bleed section, escorted from the game by 2 school officials and 2 deputies Friday and the whole game a certain player showed them up every call.

Personally I would warn both teams before the game and call Technical fouls for that behavior .

Thoughts ???

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm Question for officials .

Why do you guys/gals let players show you up after fouls . I bet over 50% of the players stare at the refs or roll their eyes or whatever they do after they've been called for a violation. Saw an official Have a fan in the nose bleed section, escorted from the game by 2 school officials and 2 deputies Friday and the whole game a certain player showed them up every call.

Personally I would warn both teams before the game and call Technical fouls for that behavior .

Thoughts ???
On that thought....why would any coach allow a player to do that and to keep it going....why would any parent let their kid do that?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:10 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm Question for officials .

Thoughts ???
On that thought....why would any coach allow a player to do that and to keep it going....why would any parent let their kid do that?

Because coaches and parents aren't always about the right things . Why do coaches cuss plyers , why do parents cuss coaches. They're emotionally involved , the referee shouldn't be and I sure as hell wouldn't let a high school player show me up. But I would warn them first

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Most referees handle the crowd and coaches well.

I do wish fans would learn the 3 second violation rule

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Referees should worry about the players not the fans . That why there is administrators and deputies there . They watch the crowd and let the kids totally disrespect them

Return to “The Off season”