Referees

General Chat
Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Re: Referees

Post by Ryanexpress »

blackcobra1 wrote:anyone hear of a new or advanced rule on touching or hand checking? I heard this year you can touch once but if you hand check twice its an automatic foul? Something silly like that? Dont know for sure.

the following acts will constitute a foul when committed against a ballhandler/
dribbler: 1) placing two hands on the player, 2) placing an extended arm
bar on the player, 3) placing and keeping a hand on the player and 4) contacting
the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Arm Bar? lol What about a "peoples elbow" or Camel Clutch, lol just kidding, I know what u mean. Man, goodluck carry an extra whistle to switch out as the other weakens from use in one half. Like the location "Being yelled at by hundreds of fans"

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

:-D :-D :-D

Pretty much the truth on a nightly basis....lol

But learning to adjust & take it as it comes is a huge thing as I love every minute of being out there.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

In some instances the speed of the game has increased, they don't get down the court in time and call what they perceive. I don't think it always about caring and professionalism, it more about not being able to keep up. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to talk to refs. They have days jobs and sometimes have to hustle to get to the game. The ones I have seem for varsity are usually there by halftime of the JV game. I am also not a fan of zone refereeing. If they only call things in their zone and ignore what they see in other zones, its now fair to the kids. The zone official may have his view blocked and another sees the infraction, but wont call it. I believe this is where the fans get upset. Some fans still live in the home cooking era, (I am one from time to time) but I don't see them gain anything by being bias. It used to be if you went to a away, you always saw the same refs, I don't believe this is the case as much now.

DiEsEl
Waterboy

Post by DiEsEl »

" I am also not a fan of zone refereeing. If they only call things in their zone and ignore what they see in other zones, its now fair to the kids. The zone official may have his view blocked and another sees the infraction, but wont call it."

The referee if he/she see's something out of their PCA (Primary Coverage Area) should give the other official the opportunity to make the call first and if the other official doesn't call it and you saw a foul/violation than you should call it. This is especially crucial with off ball action in another officials PCA where they are "on ball".

momg
Waterboy

Post by momg »

LancNative wrote: The referee if he/she see's something out of their PCA (Primary Coverage Area) should give the other official the opportunity to make the call first and if the other official doesn't call it and you saw a foul/violation than you should call it. This is especially crucial with off ball action in another officials PCA where they are "on ball".
Well said. We are told to "Get it right." Yes, some elder statement get upset when you go fishing in their pond, but to me getting the call right is the most important. Generally speaking though if you have players in your PCA you likely will not see a violation in another area of the court. Fans are always watching the ball, as refs we are not, we have other responsibilities as well.

DiEsEl
Waterboy

Post by DiEsEl »

Yes Sportsfan your right. It is also important to get the whole crew together on what we are to look for pregame so that we are more consistent as a crew. I never have an issue with another official calling something in my PCA if I didn't see it, off ball etc.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

I dont know how refs put up with some of the coaches currently out there cussing at them. I'd T em up. Coaches that cuss at the refs or players are weak all around.

DiEsEl
Waterboy

Post by DiEsEl »

If you directly hear it for sure should be a technical foul.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Refs calle "zones" or areas because that's how they are told by the State. Sure they can call off "zone" things but it has to be very obvious to them. If they're looking in another "zone" they may miss an off ball elbow or illegal pick in their "zone". I'm surprised anyone does this job.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Refs call zones because it is impossible to watch the entire floor and what if all 3 refs are looking at the same 2 players and 2 other players get in a fist fight? That is why they call zones. And if by chance they see something out of their zone they let the official have a chance to call it and if they don't then you step in with your call. I for one don't care if a ref calls in my zone because I can't see it all. The problem is that most refs are too arrogant to let another ref call in his zone. I'm all about being fair and getting calls right. It't about the players and coaches and not about me as the referee.

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

The game is tougher to officiate than it used to be. Most officials do a great job. Give them the credit they deserve.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Have been witness to some pretty inconsistent referee's, 1. called lane violation due to not waiting till ball hit the rim( rule currently says on the release)2. after a hard foul told a player to Watch the hard fouls! the kid says" I was going for his arm", the ref said ...oh ok.( no play on the ball) There are some superb refs I have seen the majority needs to step it up.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

blackcobra1 wrote:Have been witness to some pretty inconsistent referee's, 1. called lane violation due to not waiting till ball hit the rim( rule currently says on the release)2. after a hard foul told a player to Watch the hard fouls! the kid says" I was going for his arm", the ref said ...oh ok.( no play on the ball) There are some superb refs I have seen the majority needs to step it up.
To me this is the problem, So many fans are looking for little things out of Referees. Instead of going to watch a game they are going to watch and listen to refs. No doubt there are good ones and bad ones, but that goes hand in hand with all professions. Their are good car salesman and bad salesman. Good DR's and Bad Dr's. Going the pace of some of these games refs are going to miss calls. Give it a break on trying to catch every little thing a ref does or doesn't do. Just my opinion!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Out of all the games that I've seen this year in the Chillicothe area, I can only remember one struggling and that was in a blow out and they are a young ref. Every thing else has seemed pretty consistent with the new rule changes and I feel like no referee has truly impacted a game that I've seen. It's been pretty nice.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Motivator: Even with an assigner it still happens. Lots of assigners ask where do you want to go and normally are officials themselves so they know all the officials and are buddies with them.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I was an official for awhile and here are some truths about officiating.

1. Most refs know the rules more than fans and coaches.
2. A view point from the stands is different from on the floor
3. 99% of officials try to give their best effort and are consistent on both sides of the court
4. Judgment calls are hard to make in a split second
5. Being in position and hustling makes a good ref
6. Parents are irrational when it comes to their kid
7. Pee wee parents are the worst

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

What new rule lol they're still letting the slower player hold the offensive player I've barely seen a change. Many refs aren't allowing the defensive player to maintain their own space from floor to ceiling, jumping or not player jumps into you and you don't fall.... Foul on you even if youre a statue. Seen it dozens of times this season. Zones= not my fault it was his/her zone.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Let me tell it like it is.......

Under no circumstances should fans waste time yelling at officials. They should spend time cheering. Hence the name fans. The abuse refs have to take is witnessed by others and is the top reason why young people are not getting into officiating. Who can blame them? Coaches are berated at the state level to emphasize sportsmanship. They in turn relay this to their athletes. It is implied that fans also should show great sportmanship. But, schools rarely enforce this. i ask....why not? If schools would give those who behave poorly the boot and stick with the policy......pretty soon the problem would go away. Refs lives would be better, coaches lives would be better, and ultimately fans would enjoy games more.

Will this happen?

NO

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Lackluster cofficiating doesn't mean a fan should act a fool in that case throw them out, but a ref whining because a coach is arguing a point should be expected by referees, 2 man refereeing tops three man system all day the game would be so much more enjoyable if we sat there quietly and let mediocre officiating go without objection :roll:

Return to “The Off season”