Referees

General Chat
eagle25
JV Team

Re: Referees

Post by eagle25 »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:Have any of you people ever been and watched two major colleges teams play? Do you think the college students are yelling good job Mr. official you are doing a great job? Do you see college officials rabbit earing the crowd? No you don't. This is part of the atmosphere. They love the big game excitement. They know college students yelling at them is just that and it is not going to crush their precious egos. Give me a break on all the political correct bs and let students be students and have fun at a ball game. Yelling four eyes at an official shouldn't send him into a shell. If it does he is in the wrong profession. Just like players on opposing teams get booed. As a player you kind of like that just as you like getting cheered by the home team. I keep reading the league assigner comments, I say go for it but you are still going to have the same small pool of officials to pick from. The only difference you will see one you think that is bad at a different school. You are still going to get the same guys just maybe at different places. Do the math.
Yes college students do yell at officials, and coaches and players. They even yell obscenities at those three groups. Is that what you want at the high school level?

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I for one and I think most people do not want to see a foul shooting contest. If anyone wants that they should go to the Elks FT contest and watch.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I thought the crew that did the Valley-Portsmouth game was outstanding. They let the kids decide the game. I think we (Valley) got to the bonus in the second half and that was it. I think the only 1 and 1 we shot was because the Trojans fouled on purpose.

Good job, Nate Curly, Ryan Dotson, and Seth Michael.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Spend a little time in NE Ohio, and you will miss the SE District officiating. SE is superior and it's not even close.

oldschoolcorner7
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolcorner7 »

Crab's brother wrote:I thought the crew that did the Valley-Portsmouth game was outstanding. They let the kids decide the game. I think we (Valley) got to the bonus in the second half and that was it. I think the only 1 and 1 we shot was because the Trojans fouled on purpose.

YES, I AM a Valley fan and YES I AM glad we won the Districts. That being said, I would have been content had Valley lost because I thought they played well. I love seeing two very good, athletic, well coached teams battle it out. This game could have gone either way from the beginning. I was THRILLED that BOTH teams played hard and played VERY well. I hate when two good teams meet up and one comes out flat. My heart breaks for a team when their season ends on a poorly played game. That was NOT the case last night. PORTSMOUTH is gonna be a BEAST over the next couple of years!
This game might possibly been the best officiated game I have seen this year and I HAVE witnessed some pretty good officiating this year (sadly, some bad as well).
KUDOS to the officials last night that let two excellent teams play and decide the District finals! You DESERVE some recognition!

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Crab's brother wrote:I thought the crew that did the Valley-Portsmouth game was outstanding. They let the kids decide the game. I think we (Valley) got to the bonus in the second half and that was it. I think the only 1 and 1 we shot was because the Trojans fouled on purpose.

Wow! One of those three is part of that list of officials that has been dubbed the, "Glouster refs." Imagine that. :lol:

oldschoolcorner7
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolcorner7 »

knowledge wrote:Spend a little time in NE Ohio, and you will miss the SE District officiating. SE is superior and it's not even close.
WOW, Sorry. ;)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

knowledge wrote:Spend a little time in NE Ohio, and you will miss the SE District officiating. SE is superior and it's not even close.
That's a scary thing to hear.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

eagle25 wrote:
Fred G. Sanford wrote:Have any of you people ever been and watched two major colleges teams play? Do you think the college students are yelling good job Mr. official you are doing a great job? Do you see college officials rabbit earing the crowd? No you don't. This is part of the atmosphere. They love the big game excitement. They know college students yelling at them is just that and it is not going to crush their precious egos. Give me a break on all the political correct bs and let students be students and have fun at a ball game. Yelling four eyes at an official shouldn't send him into a shell. If it does he is in the wrong profession. Just like players on opposing teams get booed. As a player you kind of like that just as you like getting cheered by the home team. I keep reading the league assigner comments, I say go for it but you are still going to have the same small pool of officials to pick from. The only difference you will see one you think that is bad at a different school. You are still going to get the same guys just maybe at different places. Do the math.
Yes college students do yell at officials, and coaches and players. They even yell obscenities at those three groups. Is that what you want at the high school level?

No, I want to think I am in church and not hear a word. You keep mouthing me and you are going to hear some profanity and get five across the lips as well!

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Thats either funny or cause for concern

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Knowledge thats a joke right? SE Ohio referees in Basketball are NOT EVEN NEAR THE BEST, there are 2 in S to mid Ohio that ARE CLOSE, RC and RN, but the moves all last year and this summer their missing is embarrassing and ticks me off, example: few refs get a jump stop(both feet), spin(using 1 step) layup right, its always a travel, when even done perfect. Its like the harder the move the refs brain cant comprehend it. looked to good

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

bbjunky81 wrote:Ego's being displayed by officials is definitely becoming more of the norm. It's a shame, really, acting like that to young men. I don't know the names of very many officials as I'm not too concerned about that, but I do know there's a few from Scioto County that walk on the floor and try to be as arrogant as possible. Why? I don't know. Perhaps they should understand that the people in the seats are their to see the GAME and the KIDS, not an overly arrogant referee.

Coming off of that, there definitely were some good refs. Even a few great ones. Over half of the games I watched were officiated well. Just hate that a certain few can give referees a bad name.
Agree (super refs) deserve to be screamed at by ignorant fans.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Nah,dont yell at em, there is alot of ignorant people( seem to be more lately) I let bad calls slide from a Super ref that knows basketball and the rules, I know on his worst game he's better that the alaternative. No ones gonna get them all, it's cool when someone does, like a shutout in baseball. It's fun when you see something from the stands and hope the ref either did or didnt depending on whos side youre on, then you hear the whistle lol, yep he saw it.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Problem is I don't see any new young refs wanting to move up to the Varsity level. Because of gas, wife's, girlfriends they are just happy to stay local and work Freshman and JV games. Schools need to pay more. most pay from 50 to 60 bucks a game. A good crew will travel to Dayton, Cincinnati and all over to work. You don't find young ones willing to do that anymore.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

I hope I get to see some progressive referees this year. Unfortunately, had to watch several that were sub par, behind in their knowledge and past their prime. Just be consistent. Please.

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

They get the best refs in Racine. Them boys know comin in if the visiting teams best players dont foul out they aint gettin called to come back and ref again.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Our coaches don't waste a lot of time working the referees. They mainly coach their players on how to adjust to the way the game is called. It seems to work pretty well.

I got pressed into service in a couple of peewee games and refereeing is a lot harder than it looks. When you watch as a fan, you can easily see the other team's fouls, but when you're trying to watch both teams equally, it gets much more difficult.

DiEsEl
Waterboy

Post by DiEsEl »

Officials have a tough job no doubt. Refs are not perfect and at times do they miss something, sure. Sometimes you may get stacked up, sometimes you just miss it period and other times you may not judge contact as intentional etc. 99% of refs I know have a passion for the game and honestly like to be part of the game and enjoy the kids, coaches and fans. In over ten years working I have heard 3 refs honestly say they ref for the cash.

As a fan you paid your money so you should have a voice and enjoy the game. DON'T make it personal. DON'T holler about a call that happened 8 plays ago when the refs are running up and down the floor. As a coach you should fight for your team. Think of taking a ref class and be thorough with the rules it will better help you coach and it may mean the difference between winning or losing a game. As a player (like I used to do) put your hand up when called for a foul. Play clean and show good sportsmanship.

Lastly, if a ref does a good job DO NOT be afraid to tell the ref between quarters or make a comment like "good get ref". Refs want to do a good job. They want to do their craft and not stand out but be good at what they do. We are sons/daughters, mothers/fathers, brothers/sisters. You need us to have a game and we are GRATEFULL that you allow us to your gyms and allow us the opportunity to officiate your games.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

anyone hear of a new or advanced rule on touching or hand checking? I heard this year you can touch once but if you hand check twice its an automatic foul? Something silly like that? Dont know for sure.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Not sure of the exact rule, but hand checking is a point of emphasis this year. Heres to hoping the NFHS now cracks down on palming the basketball!

Return to “The Off season”