Referees

General Chat
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Re: Referees

Post by Howard Cosell »

Thanks for making my point. We get poor officiating because many schools actually have to go out and beg people to take the classes. NO ONE wants to officiate anymore because of the poor pay and poor treatment. If we forced fans to leave them alone, we would get better people and thus better officiating.

Plus, you say we shouldnt just have to accept mediocre officiating.....I would challenge you to tell me of one instance where a fan berates an official and the official stops the game and says, "I am sorry for blowing that call. You are obviously right. Let me change the call for you." It never happens. If anything, human nature says the ref will now make calls to spite the fans. So the consequences become negative. Its a self fulfilling prophesy. Now, throw in the fact that most of the fans complaining are doing so with no real knowledge of the rules or their application.

Name one place in industry or business where people can just show up and berate employees with whatever ignorant opinion they have. Only in athletics has this become "OK". We shouldn't be putting up with it. What example does this set for our young people? If you dont get your way. .....whine and Bee-itch. More of the self-entitlement society in action.... :lol:

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Not everyone can be the professional I am but that has come with experience and the right people from certain schools greasing my palms the way I deserve. I have only been intimidated in a game once in my career. In the early days Howie broke out "the stomp" on me when it was a brand new tactic that he had invented to initimidate an official into calling things "the right way". Nowadays, certain coaches know that it is easier to get me to see things their way with bonus pay.

Lots of these young guys still fall for the "The Stomp" and "The Stare". In combination, I have heard it refered to as the "STROMP". But they will become immune to it one day.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Part of the job, you can't take away someone expressing their opinion, I get it though I had to listen to 5 or more idiots last night. Several of those that didn't know the rules, there are some that do.

drunkone
Riding the Bench

Post by drunkone »

UKPROF wrote:Part of the job, you can't take away someone expressing their opinion, I get it though I had to listen to 5 or more idiots last night. Several of those that didn't know the rules, there are some that do.
I would argue that buying a ticket doesnt guarantee you the right to act like an idiot. If I pay a cover charge for me and Kenny Bixx to do some drinking and then get out of line, they throw me out on my arse. Trust me. I know this well.

givengo
Waterboy

Post by givengo »

wobycat wrote:I was an official for awhile and here are some truths about officiating.

1. Most refs know the rules more than fans and coaches.
2. A view point from the stands is different from on the floor
3. 99% of officials try to give their best effort and are consistent on both sides of the court
4. Judgment calls are hard to make in a split second
5. Being in position and hustling makes a good ref
6. Parents are irrational when it comes to their kid
7. Pee wee parents are the worst

6 and 7 are spot on!!

Return to “The Off season”