Refs at Convo

General Chat
chef_piketon
JV Team

Re: Refs at Convo

Post by chef_piketon »

If you read the rules of basketball it's intended to be a game of passing, cutting, shooting, dribbling, team work. Not one of pushing, shoving, banging and bouncing off each other as each team charges and barrels to the basket. Those types of acts are fouls as outlined in the rules and are acts of football or probably more notable in rugby. Thats why basketball has the fouling rule of where a player is disqualified after 5 fouls. in other sports you don't "foul out". A foul is a foul is a foul regardless of location or point in the season or tournament. Mistakes will be made by refs as its part of the game but the whole notion of letting them play violates the essence and rules of basketball. The Chef says all this shaking the head. What has The Chef's beautiful game of basketball become. It's become one about who's the most aggressive, strongest, fastest, and roughest not the most skilled, talented, and teamwork.
Chest cleared.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

toast wrote:There is nothing wrong with "letting them play". But what took place in the Piketon vs Crooksville game was beyond ridiculous. I didn't have a dog in the fight and the people around me didn't either. We were all just shaking their head in disbelief. That wasn't even basketball :shock: :shock:
ABSOLUTELY AGREE ... I'VE BEEN WATCHING GAMES AT THE CONVO FOR 20 YEARS ... THAT CREW SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED BACK - OR LEAST GIVEN A 1-YEAR SUSPENSION FROM DOING GAMES AT THE CONVO ... MAKING A MISTAKE OR MISSING A CALL IS ONE THING ... MISSING 6-8 CALLS AT LEAST - AND MAKING 3 OR 4 REALLY BAD CALLS - THERE IS JUST NO EXCUSE FOR.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Last night at the convo wow i really dont know what to say about that crew, personally i am all for a good physical game of basketball and well that wasnt good, if either team would have had to play tonight i dont think they could have fielded a team both teams limped off the floor, it was dangerous it was out of control, officials allowed players to be put in danger of serious injury. At one point late in the fourth fouls were 4-2 and there had been bodys laying on the floor the whole half, 2 times i saw a player jump up for a rebound and out of nowhere gets tackled out of bounds, just driven completely off the court, When i saw the crew come out i said oh no not these guys and right on cue they let this go from basketball to rugby.
And the basketball 30 guy NEVER have a cup of hot coffee on the scorers table it burnt one of the piketon players when he got driven into it, and then get mad when your coffee got spilled PLEASE...... you should know better than that!!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I personally don't like seeing the game played so rough and physical. The coaches teach it and for the most part, the officials allow it. People would complain when officials call a lot of fouls but if that is the case, the players would have to adjust. I would much rather see the game go back to a time when it wasn't so rough and tumble. Sadly I don't think it will ever get back to that point because things have just progressed too far.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

chef_piketon wrote:If you read the rules of basketball it's intended to be a game of passing, cutting, shooting, dribbling, team work. Not one of pushing, shoving, banging and bouncing off each other as each team charges and barrels to the basket. Those types of acts are fouls as outlined in the rules and are acts of football or probably more notable in rugby. Thats why basketball has the fouling rule of where a player is disqualified after 5 fouls. in other sports you don't "foul out". A foul is a foul is a foul regardless of location or point in the season or tournament. Mistakes will be made by refs as its part of the game but the whole notion of letting them play violates the essence and rules of basketball. The Chef says all this shaking the head. What has The Chef's beautiful game of basketball become. It's become one about who's the most aggressive, strongest, fastest, and roughest not the most skilled, talented, and teamwork.
Chest cleared.

I agree 100%. The game of "basketball"..... ie, skill and talent.... is a thing of the past and that is sad.

The "let them play" strategy is far too subjective. Where do you draw the line in "letting them play." I may allow a little pushing and shoving while another ref may allow biting and scratching.
As somebody said..... a foul is a foul is a foul. If a player commits a foul the ref should call it and let the players and coaches adjust to the rules. If the fouls are regularly called, the players and coaches will eventually "get it" and the number of fouls actually committed and called will go down..... or the player will foul out..... and LEARN the game of basketball as it was intended to be played.
I don't even go to basketball games any more. I'd rather wait til fall and go to games where the players have on pads and helmets before the try to knock each other out.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

have any of u guys ever seen a cincinnati gcl game? i have seen a few, went to a basketball game and a wrestling match broke out.
u either ref their way or find another place to ref. also i think these tournament refs are told or they take it for granted that they have to keep the games moving to stay on schedule. over the years i have seen a lot of bad officiating at tournament time maybe they are feeling the pressure to do a good job?

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Wow what insanity we got people wanting officials suspended, Sweet Lou from drinking coffee. What next? The coaches aren't aloud to get out of their seat or yell? I was at the game last night that was in question and yes it was physical and a few players took some hard hits. I still watched a few players flopping trying to get calls. They called the game the same for both teams and let them play. I personally go to the games to watch the players not the officials. I went to some regular season games that I had to watch the officials and not the players. I will take the refs at the Convo over the regular season refs any day.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I have been to 17 boys games at the Convo this year ... 6 girls games ... and I thought the Piketon/Crooksville refs were by far the worst ... usually I don't pay any attention to the refs - but they were BAD ENOUGH for me to take notice.

Not sure what that means - but I thought it was worth posting.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

93Bulldog wrote:I have been to 17 boys games at the Convo this year ... 6 girls games ... and I thought the Piketon/Crooksville refs were by far the worst ... usually I don't pay any attention to the refs - but they were BAD ENOUGH for me to take notice.

Not sure what that means - but I thought it was worth posting.

Its always worth posting on preps. If we all didn't have different opinions on topics it wouldn't be very interesting to read.

Sheik Yerboutie
Waterboy

Post by Sheik Yerboutie »

Were the officials of the Piketon-Crooksville game evaluated last night? If so, we won't likely be seeing them anytime soon.

Also, for the dude drinking hot coffee at the scorers table - DON'T! Use some common sense, sir.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Sheik Yerboutie wrote:Also, for the dude drinking hot coffee at the scorers table - DON'T! Use some common sense, sir.
Giving suggestions to Lou, who is the PA anouncer for all Ohio University events - and has been doing it for quite some time, would be like me telling a surgeon how to operate on a patient.

:mrgreen:

roundball
Waterboy

Post by roundball »

Last edited by roundball on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Now officials need lawyers? I think some people are getting a little carried away.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

I agree with most of the posters on here. The game does not resemble the game I grew up watching at all anymore. If a player gets the ball in the paint, it seems like it is anything goes. The officials are just terrible anymore. If they would actually call fouls, kids would quit fouling and play good basketball. It is a shame that the game is becoming who can play the roughest instead of who has better skills. I hope we see this change in the near future. I can't take watching much more of the subpar officials watching kids reach in and hack each other while calling nothing.

Jughe@d
Riding the Bench

Post by Jughe@d »

93Bulldog wrote:
Sheik Yerboutie wrote:Also, for the dude drinking hot coffee at the scorers table - DON'T! Use some common sense, sir.
Giving suggestions to Lou, who is the PA anouncer for all Ohio University events - and has been doing it for quite some time, would be like me telling a surgeon how to operate on a patient.

Or maybe you don't dive into the scorers table, period. That is Lou's house this time of the year! :)

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Jughe@d wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:

Or maybe you don't dive into the scorers table, period. That is Lou's house this time of the year! :)
The kid was shoved into the coach and scoters table and no foul called.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Sid Farkus wrote:I agree with most of the posters on here. The game does not resemble the game I grew up watching at all anymore. If a player gets the ball in the paint, it seems like it is anything goes. The officials are just terrible anymore. If they would actually call fouls, kids would quit fouling and play good basketball. It is a shame that the game is becoming who can play the roughest instead of who has better skills. I hope we see this change in the near future. I can't take watching much more of the subpar officials watching kids reach in and hack each other while calling nothing.

Yea they don't have a jump ball after every made basket like they did when you played. :122246

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Smart A$$ Fred strikes again. Your right Sid the game is suffering. Kids have been allowed to stretch the rules to the point, that its hard for anyone to know what a foul really is anymore. Sometimes you will see fouls that were allowed to go on earlier in the game, and not at another point. The players are getting more and more confused. Call it the way the rules read, and we can get back to fundamental basketball. Fred probably doesn't understand cuz he didn't play. Maybe he was on the Chess team.... :122246 U always got something negative to say Fred.. Sad........

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

It's kind of a catch 22 as a ref. if you call too much people complain about calling ticky tack fouls and game going too long. You don't call enough and people complain its too rough.
I love when you do call a foul for rough play and fans complain it was a foul and you as a ref are letting things get out of hand! Hey, it was called a foul. Quit complaining !

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

I get what your saying baseball16. As fans we can't have it both ways....

Return to “The Off season”