Refs at Convo

General Chat
Preppy
Waterboy

Refs at Convo

Post by Preppy »

I am sure this is asked every year, but I am curious as to if anyone knows the procedure on deciding what refereees get to do tournament games? It seems we see the same refs year after year doing the tournament. I am not saying they do bad job or not trying to put them down in any way. I just wonder why we do not see some of the "newer" upcoming officials? It seems we see the same guys or ladies night after night starting with sectional games. I know there are other pretty good officials here in our area, guys like Jason Meenach, Taylor Dyrer, Jeremy Linkus, I am sure there are several more out there who do a good job. These are just a few names that come to mind that I have seen doing some SOC games this season. I am not trying to downgrade the guys we see this time of year, I would just like to see more of a variety of refs calling our local tournament games.

IBTT
All Conference

Re: Refs at Convo

Post by IBTT »

I was told the coaches get to pick early on.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Coaches rate us!! AD's, referee's from each chapter and southeastern district board members vote. Supposedly the highest vote getters multiplied by our ratings from coaches give us games for our district!

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

preppy--Only one of the guys you listed above actually did a full-varsity schedule this year, and that's Jason Meenach. Dyer still only does JV, and I'm not sure about Linkus. Although Meenach is a terrific referee, I'm pretty sure you have to have at least 2 years of varsity experience before you're eligible to do tournaments.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

How about another question, are the ref's instructed to keep the pace of the game faster? The amount of fouls called in regular season are cut in half during the post season. Kids are getting fouled more and more in tournament time and ref's just let them play on. I just wonder if anything is said to them before the tournament games begin?

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

As CB#1 said, we are rated & voted on.
We also have to call at least 16 boys or girls games or 14 of each to be eligible.

I (Linkous) actually have called a full schedule for the last couple of years but am honestly in no hurry for tournament games.
I enjoy becoming a fan and enjoying this time of the season as a fan....

And as stated above by Redstreakin, I obviously have a ways to go before I will be tourney ready...
:-D :-D :-D

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

This is the same topic every year. Why are tournament games called so much differently? I don't believe they are. The same officials you see there every year, let a lot of the petty stuff go even during the regular season. They call the obvious. The fans are bias and want every little bumb called against their team. I don't think they get to see the best officials night in and night out during league play, so they aren't used to it. Therefore they think it's a rougher game. The one thing everyone takes for granted isn't the calls made, but the game management. When a game is managed well, nobody even see's it or pays attention to it. That is why I think the best and same officials end up at the Convo.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Good point, most fans never see the veterns game in and game out. They call the same why every night regular sesaon or post season. A lot of schools like Meigs county hire the same local guys that call ever little touch and shoot tons of foul shots. Thats not how most of these good vetern officials call the games.

Preppy
Waterboy

Post by Preppy »

Thank you guys for the input. I too thought the coaches voted early and that was the deciding factor. I have refed some special olympic type of games and they were pretty much all for fun type of games and I had an impossible time just getting basic calls right. I couldn't imagine even trying to ref a high school basketball game. Maybe I shouldn't have put actual names on here, I in no way meant for this post to get anyone run down. I was only curious as to how it worked.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

The coaches vote doesn't count near as much as the AD vote towards tournament assignments.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Is the formula public knowledge? Can anyone see exactly how the votes add up? It's odd that AD's votes are worth more than coaches and other officials.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Out of Bounds wrote:Is the formula public knowledge? Can anyone see exactly how the votes add up? It's odd that AD's votes are worth more than coaches and other officials.
Probably for a couple of reasons for AD's, 1 they deal with them on a much more personal level talking to them during off season and in season. 2, I cant speak for all AD's but I am a little more objective in my evaluations than coaches. I watch mechanics, demeanor and overall how an official carries themselves. The coach/ref relationship can be a squirrely thing! lol

tigerSTRIPEZzz
Riding the Bench

Post by tigerSTRIPEZzz »

I think the mandatory fitness test should be reinstated as well.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

tigerSTRIPEZzz wrote:I think the mandatory fitness test should be reinstated as well.
Can we add an effort test as well? I've seen a few refs who don't even make the effort to keep up with the pace of play, on top of the guys who just flat out can't keep up anymore.

The young ref is good, there's a reason he's doing D2 college games at 20/21 years old. You won't have to worry about seeing him too much longer, IMO.

The veterans that have been in the Convo so far have bad a tough time, but I'd prefer them over a lot of the other refs I've seen this year. But, the replacement in the Unioto/Warren game made a handful of awful calls and that shouldn't happen. You miss one or two, fine, it happens. But more than that is horrible.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

eagles73 wrote:
Out of Bounds wrote:Is the formula public knowledge? Can anyone see exactly how the votes add up? It's odd that AD's votes are worth more than coaches and other officials.
Probably for a couple of reasons for AD's, 1 they deal with them on a much more personal level talking to them during off season and in season. 2, I cant speak for all AD's but I am a little more objective in my evaluations than coaches. I watch mechanics, demeanor and overall how an official carries themselves. The coach/ref relationship can be a squirrely thing! lol
E73, I understand that part, I guess I was kind of vague. I didn't mean the ADs shouldn't have more value in the vote. I meant it seems odd to have a formula that is as subjective as that. I mean a vote is a vote. Politics and who you know will always be a deciding factor. 90% of the officials there deserve to be there. No matter what formula you use, the cream will rise to the top.

As far as the fittness test and such, if you put that many restrictions on officiating high school basketball, you won't have any officials. I just think people should relax, watch the game and enjoy the hustle and competition of young athletes. There will be some bad calls. If you think you can do better and make a significant contribution to officiating, take the class and lace em up! Those who do, I applaud you. Those who don't, just sit back and b!tch. That always makes things better.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

The 3 that did the Pikton-Cville game should have their shirts burned. Without a doubt the worse officiated tourney game I have ever seen. On both sides. That was an embarrassment to officiating.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

frank-n-beans wrote:The 3 that did the Pikton-Cville game should have their shirts burned. Without a doubt the worse officiated tourney game I have ever seen. On both sides. That was an embarrassment to officiating.
3rd time I've seen the elder statesmen of that group and 3rd time he's let the game get completely out of hand by letting them play. He's lost it over the past couple of years.

And no, I will not take classes to become a ref, as I have too many things on my plate already. But, people are criticized at their jobs all the time, especially when they aren't up to par and I think that's what all of us want to see, just 3 guys not standing out. I know a few refs who do a decent job and it's because they work hard at it and take criticism well, that's how you improve. Btw, if you ref 2-3 varsity games a week, that's a pretty good supplemental income.

At the Convo last night, a couple of veteran refs ended up sitting in front of me and just rode the Game 1 officials, players, and coaches the entire game, so bad that I had to relocate my group. I am happy to say that neither of them have officiated a game at the Convo yet this year either, guys like that don't deserve to.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

I have went to state tournament games every year and the officials from other parts of the state have always let them play. I sat around people from different parts of the state that hated to watch SEO officials because they called such a tight game. Now they are letting them them play and people are still complaining. This is big boy basketball now. There is going to be contact and the players should know it and play with it. I personally hate to watch a game where there are 20 fouls called in a quarter. I have suffered through enough of them during the course of the regular season. It is funny we are lucky enough to have an official good enough to do Big Ten Football but people complain about high school basketball. Come on people it is the Convo enjoy it and quit b*tching about everything.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

There is nothing wrong with "letting them play". But what took place in the Piketon vs Crooksville game was beyond ridiculous. I didn't have a dog in the fight and the people around me didn't either. We were all just shaking their head in disbelief. That wasn't even basketball :shock: :shock:

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

I normally wouldn't comment on a thread like this, but I want to follow up on Sanford's comments. I appreciate all the officials as it is a tough role, but important one!

I agree that games in SEO are called too tightly, in comparison with other areas of state. Columbus officiating is in another realm altogether, not to mention Cleveland areas. However, there were several times in Piketon/Crooksville game, as a result of "letting them play", kids were injured or ran a serious risk of injury. These were calls right in front of the officials. Example: Piketon player getting shoved two hands on layup in 4th, landed awkwardly and potentially serious injury. Must be intentional foul. Another, kid pushes Piketon guard out of bounds into coach lisath and they end up into scores table...no foul called. #10 for ceramics took a couple shots, as well,...

My point with this is not to say piketon/Crooksville either one got better calls. My point is we do not need kids to get hurt because we want to let them play. Typically you find a consistency in tournament...I didn't see it. I've seen those guys several times along the way, and it wasn't their best...but we all have bad games...just remember, this is high school basketball and the players health must be a priority.
Last edited by Coach Kelley on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Off season”