Re: REFS????

Post by Ryanexpress »

CB1,
Very well said!

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

After a game the refs are usually out of the playing area very quickly. More often then not if given the opportunity I would show my appreciation for their contribution to the game. Not totally thankless IMO.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

We leave quickly so as not to promote a confrontation. Are we afraid? No, normally law enforcement is there and/or game administration but if you think about it what is the most uncontrolled moment of the game. I think in a close, heated game the minute or 2 after the final buzzer, emotions are still high, even our own, so a verbal confrontation could turn physical very quickly, and with all the people on the floor or near it someone else, worst case a player and/or student could get hurt. So while we would appreciate your thanks its probably best that we get off the floor and into the showers. Now in a 1 or 2 point ball game we will linger a second or 2 longer, looking at the table to make sure we have no problem with the score. Why? Because in one of those strange rules once we leave the visual confines of the floor no corrections to the score book can be made. With that in mind, what are the correctable errors that can occur during a game.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I have seen some really bad officiating this year and it seems to be worse than in year's past. I'm not necessarily talking about judgment calls because those are things that people will constantly disagree on. My concern has been with some mechanical issues as well as how an official carries himself.

For one, I have seen officials eye an upset player after calling a foul while the official walks to the table to report the foul. It's as if the official is looking for trouble. Then, the official will approach the upset player and appear to lecture the player for a few seconds either before or after reporting the foul. This just seems like a bad practice as it appears the official is looking for a confrontation instead of avoiding it. I realize things can be said to the offending player in a discreet way but it seems more officials want to stop and get in the player's face.

I have also seen officials out of position on dead ball plays. For example, during a free throw there was an official in front of the scorer's table and other at the foul line on the same side of the court as the reporting official. With this, there is no one on the opposite side of the court. That leaves no one to cover the other side of the floor if the ball heads that way. This was a very experienced official who should know better.

Willy Cheatem
Riding the Bench

Post by Willy Cheatem »

I bin reffin for years with my brothers, Homer and Dewey and sister Shirley. Cant speak for them but I sure do make my calls dependin on which fans is the most intimidatin. Ther was a guy bout 6 feet 5 last week justa screamin at me. He musta waid bout 280. Scary lookin. He kepta yellin you better start callin that reach or Ima comin after ya if my girl gets hurt. Boy you darn tootin I started callin it too, and he quit screamin at me. Then I called a reach on his team and he screamed at me agin, that aint no reach and you better quit callin it. So I did, and he quit screamin agin. Then the coach started screamin but he was just a small fella so I told him to zip it or I'd Tee him up and he shut right up. Once I figured out what the big ugly guy wanted me to call everythin went good the rest of the way :aaaaa8

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

I think I know Shirley. Still working downtown maybe. Good move on your part though.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

excellent willy !!!!!

Return to “The Off season”