Is everyone else seeing "the refs letting them play"

General Chat
M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Re: Is everyone else seeing "the refs letting them play"

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Out of Bounds wrote:One of the biggest complaints I have heard every year at tournament time is that games are officiated differently during tournaments than the regular season. It's because your better officials, (the ones that you see at districts and higher every year) usually let kids play. You may only see these guys a couple of times in your gym and maybe once or twice on the road if you travel and support your teams on the road too. But all and all you don't remember these guys because the game is well officiated and you don't leave the gym thinking man they sucked!! But these officials understand that you don't come to the game to watch the bench warmers play. Call the game fairly and call the game advantage disadvantage. You don't need to call every tick tack foul to be a good official. And most coaches will agree, they don't want they're starters sitting on the bench in foul trouble. Most coaches don't make game plans for the starting point guard and center sitting beside them. So the next time your sitting in the stands watching the officials call 40-50 fouls and watching 60 free throws being shot and getting out of the gym at 10:30PM!! Tell yourself, "darn, I wish these guys would stop blowing they're whistle and let them play!!"
Much of this is due to the fact that coaches are allowed to dictate what officials, and what type of officials they have for their home games. A league assigner could remedy some of this if you get the right person to do it.

WangoZTango
Freshman Team

Post by WangoZTango »

With Wahama entering the TVC, a league assigner will be necessary.

Nothing against the players or coaches from Wahama, but interstate high school sports are, in my opinion, a bad idea. The TVC should use this addition to tighten up its control over the ref situation.

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

I would like to see a league assigner, not that it would stop people from going on about officials causing their team to lose but at least they couldn't blame the school they were playing. Most of the better officials like to do good ball games, so good luck getting good officials for every league game. This probably why you usually see the same guys doing jv games because it is hard to get good officials to do a jv game.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:
Out of Bounds wrote:One of the biggest complaints I have heard every year at tournament time is that games are officiated differently during tournaments than the regular season. It's because your better officials, (the ones that you see at districts and higher every year) usually let kids play. You may only see these guys a couple of times in your gym and maybe once or twice on the road if you travel and support your teams on the road too. But all and all you don't remember these guys because the game is well officiated and you don't leave the gym thinking man they sucked!! But these officials understand that you don't come to the game to watch the bench warmers play. Call the game fairly and call the game advantage disadvantage. You don't need to call every tick tack foul to be a good official. And most coaches will agree, they don't want they're starters sitting on the bench in foul trouble. Most coaches don't make game plans for the starting point guard and center sitting beside them. So the next time your sitting in the stands watching the officials call 40-50 fouls and watching 60 free throws being shot and getting out of the gym at 10:30PM!! Tell yourself, "darn, I wish these guys would stop blowing they're whistle and let them play!!"
Much of this is due to the fact that coaches are allowed to dictate what officials, and what type of officials they have for their home games. A league assigner could remedy some of this if you get the right person to do it.

Majority of the leagues already have league assigners. And contrary to most beliefs....it's still the same ole officials that show up at schools. And to me that's a moot point anyway. You have just as many home games as road games, so you have the options for the officials in your gym as well. Everybody accuses officials of cheating or homering. You should try it sometime. If you don't like how things are being officiated, go get your license and see if you can rise to the top of ranks and get district and tournament games.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

I always love it when people say, "well get you a whistle and see if you can do better..." or "take the class and see how well you do..." It's the only job besides tomato picking that anyone ever says that about. All other jobs have certain levels of competency that if not met, will result in a loss of that job. But it seems with officials the ones who are complained about the most by the opposing fans, get to return to work the most often. Those are also the ones who seem to get high marks by the home coach and AD, which gets them tournament games. Kind of funny isn't it? :lol:

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

What is going to happen is they are going to let them play all season long and when it gets to tournament time if you breathe on someone to hard they will call a foul.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

No whats funny is the people that criticize but don't have the ability or determination to go try it yourself. It really easy to sit in the stands and see it all. But put your ass in the fire of competition and see if you have the ability to put air in the whistle and make the big call. Or for that matter, any call at all?

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Heavy D wrote:I always love it when people say, "well get you a whistle and see if you can do better..." or "take the class and see how well you do..." It's the only job besides tomato picking that anyone ever says that about. All other jobs have certain levels of competency that if not met, will result in a loss of that job. But it seems with officials the ones who are complained about the most by the opposing fans, get to return to work the most often. Those are also the ones who seem to get high marks by the home coach and AD, which gets them tournament games. Kind of funny isn't it? :lol:
Their in lies the problem....the game isn't officiated for the fans.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Out of Bounds wrote:No whats funny is the people that criticize but don't have the ability or determination to go try it yourself. It really easy to sit in the stands and see it all. But put your booty in the fire of competition and see if you have the ability to put air in the whistle and make the big call. Or for that matter, any call at all?
Yes I say we do this with everything in life. When we don't like what a teacher does we simply go start teaching and see if we can do better. Don't like the policeman who pulled you over? Take his job and try it on for size. Obama hater? Hey you go try being president and see if you can handle it. :mrgreen:

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Out of Bounds wrote:
Heavy D wrote:I always love it when people say, "well get you a whistle and see if you can do better..." or "take the class and see how well you do..." It's the only job besides tomato picking that anyone ever says that about. All other jobs have certain levels of competency that if not met, will result in a loss of that job. But it seems with officials the ones who are complained about the most by the opposing fans, get to return to work the most often. Those are also the ones who seem to get high marks by the home coach and AD, which gets them tournament games. Kind of funny isn't it? :lol:
Their in lies the problem....the game isn't officiated for the fans.

If not for the fans my friend no games would be played. Who do you think funds the teams that are competing, and the pay the officials get?

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I agree with that. But it's still for the kids. You officiate the game which kids play to keep it fair and safe. Not for the fans. It's a GAME. How do you compare a Teacher, Policeman or President to a basketball official who works part time and makes $55 dollars a game? I'm not trying to belittle anyone here. I'm just trying to make a point that, it's a way different game when you are on the floor looking between players, running up and down the floor, managing the clock, managing players in and out, listening to coaches bark, fans scream, cheerleaders yell......and so on. I sit in the stands and watch games and question calls and see stuff on the floor all the time. But it is really easy to see from the bleachers versus being on the floor. And for those of you that don't understand that and say well it's right in front of you, how can you not see that? Well lace them up and give it a try.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

Out of Bounds wrote:I agree with that. But it's still for the kids. You officiate the game which kids play to keep it fair and safe. Not for the fans. It's a GAME. How do you compare a Teacher, Policeman or President to a basketball official who works part time and makes $55 dollars a game? I'm not trying to belittle anyone here. I'm just trying to make a point that, it's a way different game when you are on the floor looking between players, running up and down the floor, managing the clock, managing players in and out, listening to coaches bark, fans scream, cheerleaders yell......and so on. I sit in the stands and watch games and question calls and see stuff on the floor all the time. But it is really easy to see from the bleachers versus being on the floor. And for those of you that don't understand that and say well it's right in front of you, how can you not see that? Well lace them up and give it a try.
bingo :mrgreen:

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Very physical and rough play so far this year. I do not have a problem with the game if it's called that way from the start but do not let players beat the crap out of each other early and then try to get it under control later on, late in the game. If the refs are going to call a foul in the 1st quarter on a play, they have to call the same foul in the 4th quarter. Just be consistent one way or the other.

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

I couldnt agree with ya more alabama mike

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

Over the years I have noticed that the losing teams do most of the complaining. When a team is complaining about officiating before the game is played tells me that team doesn't have much confidence in there self and looking for an excuse for losing. I know I get tired of hearing it. Most of the winning programs in the state I never hear say anything about the officiating. They just go out and take care of business and make the adjustments needed to do so.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Grinder wrote:Over the years I have noticed that the losing teams do most of the complaining. When a team is complaining about officiating before the game is played tells me that team doesn't have much confidence in there self and looking for an excuse for losing. I know I get tired of hearing it. Most of the winning programs in the state I never hear say anything about the officiating. They just go out and take care of business and make the adjustments needed to do so.
Part of the reason for this is because those teams play against quality opponents, and both hire quality officials. Most of the "winning programs in the state" are not subjected to the kind of officials we usually see in the TVC Hocking. Also, I have heard from some officials that it is only going to get worse due to some Hocking schools lowering the amount they pay officials. Why go to Trimble and make $50 when you can go to Logan and make $70?

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

You couldn't get me to take that kind of abuse for $50 or $70.

Return to “The Off season”