Is everyone else seeing "the refs letting them play"

General Chat
rockyraccoon
All Conference

Is everyone else seeing "the refs letting them play"

Post by rockyraccoon »

I know it's only 2 games into the season, but I have already personally seen three boys with their faces busted open, requiring stitches, and have heard of others around the area. Are the refs letting the play get to rough? Is this a conscious effort, to allow more phsical play, or just the boys playing rusty?

gymrat88
JV Team

Re: Is everyone else seeing "the refs letting them play"

Post by gymrat88 »

Overall I feel that letting the teams play is generally a good strategy for officiating in all sports. People don't go to the game to watch the officials call fouls, they go to watch a good basketball game. At the same time, when you look at obvious issues with NBA officials and then you go over to football and look at all of the inconsistencies in the NFL with their new fine-aholic policies, it seems to me that Basketball is being made into a contact sport and Football is being made into a non-contact sport. I feel that officials on all levels in Basketball have been letting the level physicality get out of hand for a long time.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

I don't mind them letting them play or calling it closely as long as they call it consistant and the same both ways. This seems to almost never happen though, if it were a foul the first time it should be the second/third/fourth times as well.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

newlex/sheridan wrote:I don't mind them letting them play or calling it closely as long as they call it consistant and the same both ways. This seems to almost never happen though, if it were a foul the first time it should be the second/third/fourth times as well.
The problem you express is caused by officials who are affected by a coach screaming in his ear. During the JV contest I over heard a varsity official the other night say to one of his partners, "we have to watch how we call this game cause, (coaches name left out to protect the innocent), has a lot of pull with tournament votes..." During the game said coach screamed at said official, and the game was there after called differently. After the game I witnessed said official talking to said coach. Wonder what they were discussing...? :mrgreen:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

the Portsmout South Webster game was very physical, Portsmouth player had to be taped up ,and im sure has stitches today,no call...but to be fair, they called it pretty even both ways, im sure both teams had some bruises today

Hoppy
Riding the Bench

Post by Hoppy »

There is not one coach that has more say so in tounament assignments than any other coach. ALL coaches get to rate the officials that work their games. The rating from the coaches is only one part of the system that helps assign tournament officials.

we_believed_99
Waterboy

Post by we_believed_99 »

i like letting them play...it gets them ready for the next level..if they can't be physical in high school they will never make it in college!

we_believed_99
Waterboy

Post by we_believed_99 »

but i also agree that the officals have to stay consistent or then it gets out of hand!

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

and it doesnt take long for it to get out of hand :o

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

They didn't at the Waverly/Court House game. Most officials swallow their whistles in the waining moments but not in that one. Kretzer with an "and one" with 6 seconds to go (to put the Tigers up 2, possibly 3) but they call an offensive foul (unheard of). A technical foul called on Waverly with .29 to play in regulation (Tigers up 3) from an official at halfcourt who did nothing more than read the lips of a player under the basket who was upset with himself. THEY DIDN'T "LET EM PLAY" IN THIS ONE.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

They need to let them play. If there's cuts and bruises, so be it. It's a physical game.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

true...also i'm starting to see more double fouls called because a ref doesn' want to make a difficult call.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I guess it depends on ones definition of "letting them play".

I'M not in favor of a bunch of touch fouls but I also don't enjoy games that get too rough and out of hand. I've seen plenty of those.

Throwing elbows should never be acceptable and doesn't fall under the banner of letting them play. The rules state " A player shall not excessively swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s) even without contacting an opponent. It's a violation. It should be called more.

Chief Lefty
Waterboy

Post by Chief Lefty »

no I missed that Peebles had 18 fouls in 1st half and 16 in 2nd last friday night

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

I heard both of Eastern's games thus far (Minford and Valley) more resembled football than basketball. The game is certainly getting too physical and out of hand because of all that is let go early in games that I see.

I have watched Oak Hill the last several years just beat on and wear down teams that were actually better than them basketball wise. Credit Norm I guess, using some muscle to neautralize talent. BUT, if the officials called fouls (and pushes, shoves, holds, and bumps are fouls), the game would have turned out quite different.

MightyWhiteFalcon
Waterboy

Post by MightyWhiteFalcon »

From what saw in the past few years the TVC home teams were allowed to play physical but the visitors were not. I hope that will change now that they have added some quality to the league.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

"Let em play!" "Thats gotta be something" Remember advantage/disadvantage. If its a charge in the first 10 seconds its a charge in the last ten" same thing on an "and one"

cg 22
JV Team

Post by cg 22 »

Heavy D was serving drinks at the Shingle Inn and Homer the ref told him there is a conspiracy in officiating especially if Heavy D's team gets beat. :lol: :lol:

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

cg 22 wrote:Heavy D was serving drinks at the Shingle Inn and Homer the ref told him there is a conspiracy in officiating especially if Heavy D's team gets beat. :lol: :lol:
Yes but you just wait till those undefeated jr high teams get into high school. Cause our coach takes average talent and makes them great. Oh wait, that's what happens at Eastern and Southern. Dang it your right, you guys cheated when you beat us with those undefeated jr high players. :mrgreen:

cg 22
JV Team

Post by cg 22 »

Heavy D wrote:
cg 22 wrote:Heavy D was serving drinks at the Shingle Inn and Homer the ref told him there is a conspiracy in officiating especially if Heavy D's team gets beat. :lol: :lol:
Yes but you just wait till those undefeated jr high teams get into high school. Cause our coach takes average talent and makes them great. Oh wait, that's what happens at Eastern and Southern. Dang it your right, you guys cheated when you beat us with those undefeated jr high players. :mrgreen:

Heavy D have you got time to be on here. You have all those cases of Old Milwaukee to put in the cooler. Thanks for recognizing that we had another undefeated jr high team this year. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Off season”