ASSIGNER FOR TVC BASKETBALL REFS!!!!

General Chat
CAT@MOUSEBBBALL
Waterboy

ASSIGNER FOR TVC BASKETBALL REFS!!!!

Post by CAT@MOUSEBBBALL »

We need to level the playing field for the road teams.It is flat out cheating on the road with the same officials doing every home game at a school.The officials are required to be at the game by halftime of the jv game,i see them lapping it up with the home fans and kids. THIS IS WRONG!!! They should not to any more than 2 games at one school PERIOD....UNTIL THIS CHANGED,THE KIDS WILL SUFFER FROM THIS CRAP!!!!

I smell bad
Varsity

Re: ASSIGNER FOR TVC BASKETBALL REFS!!!!

Post by I smell bad »

Never going to happen as long as the Meigs County 3, and Belpre are in the league. They will continually vote it down, and use the excuse that it costs too much. A few years ago it was going to cost each school $500 per year. That doesn't seem like too much to me, but when you have other reasons for not wanting an assigner that is an easy scapegoat.

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

Wow $500 per school per year. Maybe "back in the day" that wouldn't seem like a lot of $$$$, but now...
Most schools are having trouble paying teachers, aids, bus drivers, cooks and books let alone pay that amount of money for refs for sports. I love high school sports as much as the next guy, but now days I think the $500 could be better spent on the real reason our kids go to school.

As far as league games go each school plays each team home and away. Don't get me wrong I give the refs a hard time when I think they deserve it. There have been some refs that Alex has hired in the past that has stunk for the home team as well as for the visiting team.

I think it is more important to have better refs during tourny time rather that regular season time. That is just my opinion.

Good Luck to all TVC teams this year (except when you play the Spartans :122249 )

Go Spartans!

CAT@MOUSEBBBALL
Waterboy

Money is not the issue,the issue is keeping the GOOD OLD BOY NETWORK in tact,instead of giving the boys what they deserve...

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

CAT@MOUSEBBBALL wrote:Money is not the issue

Your kid's school must not be in the TVC. All of the schools that I know of around here are looking for ways to make the $ stretch a little further.

Unfornately an assigner WILL cost the schools money that they do not have.

About all a coach can do is tell their kids to learn what the ref is calling and adjust their style of play.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

This thread was started by a player, not a parent. Let's keep that in focus.

This has been a point of contention as long as I can remember, so I don't see this being resolved anytime soon..................

And that opinion is coming from a parent............

CAT@MOUSEBBBALL
Waterboy

STEELY DAN, I haven't played for 30yrs,you don't know anywhere close to what you think in that little head of yours...

I smell bad
Varsity

Post by I smell bad »

Currently, the job of hiring officials is part of the duties of the AD at each school. Of course some schools allow the coaches to do the hiring. Which I think is a huge part of the problem. To solve the money issue, each school could take $500 out of what they pay the AD. This would be relieving the AD's of a huge part of their duties, and not cost the schools anymore money.

This issue has been discussed over and over, with each supposed stumbling block dispelled. However, there are a few schools that are not going to give up their ability to hire the officials they want, over and over for each home game, in most every sport.

CAT@MOUSEBBBALL
Waterboy

SMELL BAD, You are correct,the problem could be fixed,but the schools don't want to lose controll.They are the same ones complain when there teams are on the road. P.S. SD I BETTER GET BACK TO CLASS,I HEAR THE TEACHER COMING!!!!!

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I can speak for Belpre, our schedule is given to the local chapter for officials and they assign the refs for our home games. This is why most of our refs carry dual-state liscense so they can do games in Ohio and West Virginia. This is done for all sports.

Belpre would be in favor of upping the yearly membership fee for each member school and having a league commissioneer like the SEOAL. But, there is little support for doing this in the league.

As for complaining about Homer Refs, you are beating a dead horse. Leave it alone and play ball. :roll:

I smell bad
Varsity

Post by I smell bad »

Belpre is one of the schools that voted down the assigner in the past. Also, those Oh/Wv officials are many times the worst officials in the area. I once over heard a coach tell one of them he was reporting him to the OHSAA. The official replied, "go ahead, I've been reported to them many times before, but I do most of my games in West Virginia anyway so I don't care how bad Ohio thinks I am." What a peach? :roll:

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Trust me when I say that Belpre would be in favor of an assigner/commisioneer and also raising the membership fee to the league to help cover the cost. Athens saved themselves some nice change by switching from the SEOAL to the TVC on membership fees alone. Also, it is hard to get officials to travel from central Ohio to southeast Ohio to officiate TVC games with the money they pay.

I seriously doubt that Belpre's "Homer refs" had very little impact on us winning 3 regional championships since they don't do any of our tournment games. :lol:

FalconX
JV Team

Post by FalconX »

So what you are saying is when our girls play at Alexander they are facing a group of officials that have been hand picked by the AD or coach? In the SOC we use an assigner so for the most part it's fair for both the visiting and home teams.

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

There really does need to be an assigner, but until that happens schools do have options in terms of having acceptable officiating on away games. In the OHSAA bylaw 8 section 2, it reads "Great care shall be exercised in the selection of officials well in advance of the contest and agreed upon by both schools involved."

This clearly states that both schools must agree on officials before the game. So if there is any concern, simply have your AD contact the other school prior to the game and find out who the officials are. Really the host school should check with the visiting school before contracts are even sent out, however I think this rarely happens. This is a much more proactive way to handle the situation rather than to complain after the game.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Good point VC hoops. The problems I see with that is when a complaint is made, the host school will surely tell the officials why they are replacing them. Officials are human, and will quite possibly hold a grudge. The hosts will also probably have to pay both sets of officials. I doubt many schools are willing to do that.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Minford Millie wrote:So what you are saying is when our girls play at Alexander they are facing a group of officials that have been hand picked by the AD or coach? In the SOC we use an assigner so for the most part it's fair for both the visiting and home teams.

you guessed it!!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Is having an assigner really that much better? Assigner's usually have buddies they give most of the games to
and the buddies a lot of time aren't very good. Also schools with an assigner normally are allowed to put in 5 or 10 names of officials they want used in a pool for the assigner. So for the most part the coaches are still getting who they want.

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

Good point VC hoops. The problems I see with that is when a complaint is made, the host school will surely tell the officials why they are replacing them. Officials are human, and will quite possibly hold a grudge. The hosts will also probably have to pay both sets of officials. I doubt many schools are willing to do that.

As far as officials holding grudges, you're right that could happen. I guess one would have to hope that professionalism would prevail. As far as schools having to double pay......that's why the agreement really should be reached before contracts are sent out. The host school is really putting itself in a bad spot if they send the contracts out prior to getting approval from the visiting school because they could have to pay both sets. Even if they don't want to, according to that bylaw they would have no choice if the visiting school refused to accept the officials.

welfarewillie
Waterboy

Post by welfarewillie »

Don't give officials so much heck until you have been on court. Not as easy as setting at half court and making the call. As far as pay goes, they are not paid enough and if they were, the good would drive the bad out of the avocation.

Yes, I was an official for 20 years and am proud of the job that I did whether it was 7 th grade or Varsity. All should be treated the same. Citing OHSAA by law is the way if you don't like officials and copy of contract should be sent to visitng school prior to all games.

Return to “The Off season”