Are refs. to sensative?

General Chat
Brutus8907
All State

Re: Are refs. to sensative?

Post by Brutus8907 »

oldschoolblue wrote:I was at a game in Athens last night and saw a ref have a student fan removed, I have also heard maybe there was a fan or two removed from the Zanesville- Chilli. game. Maybe in both cases it was clear and needed to be done. I think good refs pay no attention to the crowd and shouldnt worry about whether someone thinks they stink or suck or whatever. I would think a few good reasons for throwing out a fan would be if they throw something on the court or use profanity in any way shape or form. If a ref is called homer, or bozo or fat or lazy they have to know that is part of it, maybe not deserved but it will happen. I would hope most refs pay no attention to that crap and pay attention to what is happening on the court. I am in no way critisizing any ref, I just think some are a little less strong skinned than others. And if you are going to do games for long you had better get thick skinned quick.IMO

as a victim of being kicked out of a game under similar circumstances, i agree 100%. last year (my senior year at athens) myself and 3 fellow spectators were removed from the student section during the home Warren game. truth be told, it wasnt any of us that said what got us kicked out, the ref merely assumed it was us becasue we were the only ones still standing in the student section (i doubt all the previous heckling didnt help but c'mon :lol: ). but you know what set the ref off? a student who was not standing made a comment about the ref's shoes...yes you read it right, HIS SHOES :shock:

and it's not like we were without support. after being ejected we had to meet with an administrator and he told us he didnt think what happened was right but he had no control over it and under OHSAA rules we had to sit out the next 2 games and he would do what he had to do to see that said ref didnt work in McAfee Gymnasium again. also, the next day i watched the game on Nelsonville Cable's channel that shows local games and even the commentators said something to the effect of "the refs are just playing around now." it was outrageous. the next home game some of our fellow students dawned "Free (name)" shirts :lol:

Return to “The Off season”