Are refs. to sensative?

General Chat
oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Are refs. to sensative?

Post by oldschoolblue »

I was at a game in Athens last night and saw a ref have a student fan removed, I have also heard maybe there was a fan or two removed from the Zanesville- Chilli. game. Maybe in both cases it was clear and needed to be done. I think good refs pay no attention to the crowd and shouldnt worry about whether someone thinks they stink or suck or whatever. I would think a few good reasons for throwing out a fan would be if they throw something on the court or use profanity in any way shape or form. If a ref is called homer, or bozo or fat or lazy they have to know that is part of it, maybe not deserved but it will happen. I would hope most refs pay no attention to that crap and pay attention to what is happening on the court. I am in no way critisizing any ref, I just think some are a little less strong skinned than others. And if you are going to do games for long you had better get thick skinned quick.IMO

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^^'

Fans are to intense at times (including myself) and some refs are either to sensitive or want to be the show. I believe like playing the game, you have to block out stuff coming out of the crowd. Some refs are great as they will exchange some good natured bantering (during dead balls), but others have a quick fuse (including with coaches).

My bigger concern with officials is consistency within the crew. Sometimes one will call an extremely tight game, while the other two allow armed robbery to occur on the court. That concerns me more then good or bad. You can adjust to good or bad, but not inconsistency.

And yes, Chillicothe had one parent tossed last night, and I don't believe it was merited at all.

GO CAVS!!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

My brother, whose son plays for Clay, told me that during a game earlier this year an official was constantly turning towards the student section and badgering the kids and once even missed a call because he had his back turned to the court arguing with a student during a three point attempt on his side of the court and didn't know if the shot was a three or not after it was made. Guys like that do not need to be doing games. If they can't concentrtae on the court while the game is going on they have no business being on the court.

hitchbone64, the thing I hate about inconsistency with refs is this. They will let the two teams just knock the hell out of each other in the first half and never call any fouls and then come out in the second half and call every little touch foul that occurs. I have seen this happen quite a few times over the past few years. It's almost like they get together at the half and say, "Well, that was a little out of hand there wasn't it. Maybe we should get control of it in the second half". Of course by then the kids are used to getting by with murder and then must adjust to getting called for breathing on someone being called a foul.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Hitch tell me it wasn't you.lol

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

bengalfan76 wrote:Hitch tell me it wasn't you.lol

bengalfan,

No that is why I sit a few rows up in the stands. However, I was very close to the situation and spoke with Z-Ville's finest about the attitude of one of the "Robo cops".

GO CAVS!!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Re: Are refs. to sensative?

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

oldschoolblue wrote:I would think a few good reasons for throwing out a fan would be if they throw something on the court or use profanity in any way shape or form. If a ref is called homer, or bozo or fat or lazy they have to know that is part of it, maybe not deserved but it will happen.

So I guess the moral of the story is that cursing is not ok but personal attacks on the official are fine?

I agree that officials shouldn't pay attention to the crowd; that they should work the game on the court and not worry about the rest. I feel the home school should "work the crowd" and remove anyone who acts inappropriately.

I personally have a problem with those who feel they can do/say whatever they want because "I paid my five dollars." This is the attitude that causes issues with the on court action. It's a shame that people can't just watch games and feel the need to be part of the game.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Remember that the officials of any sport are human and try to do the best job they can. But the way fans in general are starting to act it is going to be hard to get good quality officials in the future the way it is going. Why would anyone in their right mind want to officiate basketball the way things are going. It is getting crazy. Officials make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, and yes even the kids make mistakes on the floor. But everyone wants to have someone to blame when things do not go the way they think it should. Heck it is only a game.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I blame it on the AD's. They're the ones that hire the officials :!: :lol:

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

hitchbone64 wrote:

bengalfan,

No that is why I sit a few rows up in the stands. However, I was very close to the situation and spoke with Z-Ville's finest about the attitude of one of the "Robo cops".

GO CAVS!!!

Hitch I can sleep so much better now. :lol:

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

bengalfan76 wrote:
hitchbone64 wrote:

bengalfan,

GO CAVS!!!

Hitch I can sleep so much better now. :lol:

So can the bailbondsman who reside in Zanesville home of the Blue Devils...lol...

GO CAVS!!!

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Too sensitive? Hopefully about spelling at any rate.

I have been blessed with watching mostly good referees this year.

Today, I had to laugh when a player was called for a foul and a couple of opposing fans started yelling about it. It was their first foul of the game with only about 4 minutes remaining in the first half and the fouls were 6-0 in their favor before the call. There are some people you just can't make happy as referees.

But back to the topic, the referees did a nice job of ignoring the crowd. The fact that it is remarkable when one doesn't, shows how rare it is.

redbeard
Waterboy

Post by redbeard »

went to the Oaks vs West game and saw some of the poorest refs i have ever seen. consistent on both ends, forgot how to keep the game under control, Poor I must say POOR POOR POOR

FeetballRef
Waterboy

Post by FeetballRef »

Common sense & respect for others should apply to the treatment of officials.

Like everything else is society & the work place, there are good ones & there are folks who try their best. I doubt if anyone would treat their boss or employees, their family or friends or even a unknown stranger the way that I've seen fans & even coaches treat basketball officials.

Believe it or not, most officials are people to & have feelings, tempers, bad days, & personal issues just like everyone else.

If officials were treated with the same respect by the coaches & fans that the basketball players show them, it would the best environment & leadership example that should be shown to the student athletes & cheerleaders who are participating.

All schools announce a sportsmanship reminder before the players are announced for that evening's contest. That goes out the window as soon as the tipoff happens... :cry:

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

bassmaster --

Officials for football and boys and girls basketball games (varsity only) are selected by an assigner which was named by the league principals (Kelley Stilwell of Logan, a retired administrator and a former coach) -- that has been the case for the last two or three years.

I never played sports but have followed them, especially at the high school level, for 50 years. I also compile boys and girls basketball coaching records, present and past.....additions are always welcome ... home address is 71 Sunnyside Drive, Athens, Ohio 45701.
smoke93
Waterboy

Post by smoke93 »

The OHSAA is really pushing sportsmanship with the Students these days and with the Parents of the Students acting the way they do this is a hard task for Coaches and Officials to sell. As Adults we need to get back to the main reason why we are all in this. This is to teach our young men and women how to deal with life situations that they will be faced with when they become adults. Until Parents realize what they are teaching our young people of today this country will continue to fail morally. I personally would like to see the State step in and say if a fan is questioning calls and creating a disturbance that they are dealt with the same way that the players and coaches are. May God Bless All and Lets remember to set positive examples for our future in this country.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

I can't speak for all but just a few!!! How many of you have a job where you are screamed at from beginning to end???None of you!!! How long would you spend in that profession/or job-site??? Not long, huh!!!! Well as an official, why should they take that abuse??? They shouldn't!!! The defense they have are to remove those obnoxious fans from the game. Fans think because they pay $5, they can act any way they want. They can scream, you suck, you're a cheater, 3 seconds, over the back, reaching in, homer, curse words....What are you teaching all the young players, young kids (fans)??? This is just another way of showing NO RESPECT for ALL around you!!!! I think we ALL should be ashamed because we have allowed this to go on!!! Don't just blame the officials or the administrators, coaches, players, etc... but look in the mirror, are YOU proud of your behavior???? What's sad is for those of you who answered yes, and you are the ones who show up every night and think you have the right to act any way you want!!! WELL YOU DON"T!!!!!

smoke93
Waterboy

Post by smoke93 »

Amen !!!!! Cleveland I sure am glad there are more people out there that think like I do.

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

Great insight, ClevelandBrowns#1.
Gotta believe these poor examples give kids the impression this is acceptable behavior - twenty years ago, how many times would a player throw his hands up "begging" after a whistle or visibly show disgust with a call?
Never, if he expected to remain on the floor.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Smoke, Joe Strummer,

Thanks, What happened to the times when players raised their hands when they fouled?? Now, some want to throw their hands in the air to make it look like the official misssed it. If the official did miss it guess what he will remember that behavior.

What would the parents or players think if the official threw his hands up or screamed at them after a missed free throw or layup?? This is what they do to the officials each game... Not all fans, but why do the good fans put up with those who give their school/team/community a bad name??? Move away from them each game, they will get the hint, point at them each time they yell at coaches, administrators, players, officials, etc... How long would you think their behavior woul last???

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

At the Westfall-Waverly playoff game this past fall, I saw a spectator who acted like I do at Piketon's games. He wasn't using profanity, nor do I, but he was yelling at the refs and the opposing coaches like they were going to,listen to him and he was going to change the outcome of the game. After watching and listening to him for 3 quarters, I turned to a friend of mine and said that I will never act like that guy again. I plan to abide by my declaration this coming football season. I am unable to carry on during Piketon's basketball games because of the job I have, which is probably why I have found it easy to not carry on during those games. (Now, I still yell at the tv at home, but, aren't I allowed a little leeway?) I have realized that the refs aren't trying to screw any particular team, and that they make mistakes just like I do. My reaction isn't going to get them to change their call or their style of officiating to suit me.

During the Piketon-Mifflin game, the Mifflin coach didn't say one negative thing to the refs the entire game. If one of his players responded in a negative way to a call, he called them on it. How coaches respond has more of an affect on a game than how fans respond. I think more fans should be removed because of things some of them say.

Return to “The Off season”