TRIVIA QUESTION

General Chat
VIKED_MAN
Varsity

TRIVIA QUESTION

Post by VIKED_MAN »

WHO IS THE CAREER LEADING SCORER FOR ALL OF OHIO HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL, AND WHAT HIGH SCHOOL DID THEY ATTEND? WHAT WAS THEIR TOTAL POINTS SCORED?

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Re: TRIVIA QUESTION

Post by VIKED_MAN »

one clue it's not John Diebler :roll:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

MARLENE STALLINGS.....Eastern Pike....class of 93

NEXT?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Don't know total...but she was at about 43 ppg one of thsoe years and over 40 ppg 2 or 3 times I think.

Played a killer schedule! lol

Scored 57 against Jackson in Jackson and EP bet Jackson 60-59.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

absolutey correct Marlene Stollings from Beaver Eastern Pike scored 306 more points than Diebler's 3208.
3514 points which is 5th highest total in entire nation boys and girls. I believe she is an assistant at Ole Miss currently.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

While that is a great achievement, you have to realize to reach that goal, you have to run the score up on lesser teams and leave your scorer in, letting them score at will against teams who have pulled their starters in games that are blowouts. I know this from talking to a coach who had to face her.

earp
S

Post by earp »

As far as Im concerned Jay Burson is the all time scorer at 2958 because he did that without a 3 point line!He would probably have had 4000 with a 3 point shot!Plus he got doubled and even tripled teamed alot of games and still went for 40 or 50!

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

JohnKnight - Thanks for sharing this. Saw Stollings play a game or two, shooting skills were unreal. :122246

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Katie Smith honestly could've scored 4,000 had the Logan coach ran up the score and they just went to her for offense.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

GO EAGLES!!!

Marlene was an outstanding shooter...3514 points speaks for itself no matter who she was playing against.Bottom line is she could shoot the rock and us here in "little ole Beaver" are very proud for one of our own to hold the record...and she never transferred :122246 lol

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

I remember going to Eastern Pike a couple of years ago for a girls game and seeing that banner that had her name and point total. I was absolutely stunned that a player could put up those kind of numbers. It definitely generated a lot of discussion among those of us who were visiting for that game.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

my2cents wrote:While that is a great achievement, you have to realize to reach that goal, you have to run the score up on lesser teams and leave your scorer in, letting them score at will against teams who have pulled their starters in games that are blowouts. I know this from talking to a coach who had to face her.

Not totally correct. Eastern Pike is a very small school district. Might have had only 6-8 true "varsity" players had to play a lot. When Stollings played they played a muderous schedule too. Pleanty of close games. I believe the Lady Eagles defeated Ross-Southeastern in a kinda close game where Marlene scored 69 points.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

It's a great record but I sat next to a former coach and I can't remember the details exactly but he told me he played Eastern the game after they beat a team like 90 to 20 and their coach was wondering why everyone was upset about them running up the score.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

earp wrote:As far as Im concerned Jay Burson is the all time scorer at 2958 because he did that without a 3 point line!He would probably have had 4000 with a 3 point shot!Plus he got doubled and even tripled teamed alot of games and still went for 40 or 50!

Going with you on this one.[Jay]

Only thing about Stollings was the way she would shoot.Once in college she had a lot of shots blocked-then she change her shot a bit and it really through her off.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

my2cents wrote:It's a great record but I sat next to a former coach and I can't remember the details exactly but he told me he played Eastern the game after they beat a team like 90 to 20 and their coach was wondering why everyone was upset about them running up the score.

True. That happens. i coached a game once that we won 58-1. As a coach you never tell your players "Don't try to score." I just told them no threes, but still play fundalmental basketball. Every kid on our team scored, and played a lot. Leading scorer may of had 14 or 15 points. I was hoping the other team would get a bucket, but they had to earn it.

I agree about Burson also. I loved watching him as a Buckeye. Did he play when the schools still played an 18 game regular season schedule? That would be 8 more games. About 240 more points for a player like Jay.

earp
S

Post by earp »

No it was a 20 game season throughout his career from 1981-85!I dont think that John Glenn ever made it out of district play while played either!I might have to research that one though!

Return to “The Off season”