Trimble Trivia 20 Questions

General Chat
Warpig
Freshman Team

Trimble Trivia 20 Questions

Post by Warpig »

In my opinion these are easy to hard

1 What was the nickname of the 1977 team?
The Bomb Squad would have also accepted "Culver's Mad Bombers"

2 Who was called “The Dirty Bird” by the old Channel 15 crew?
Dave Lanning he had transferred from Miller

3 Who is the only player to make a field goal in a playoff game?
Bobby Trace 2001 home playoff game against Eastern

4 What family is responsible for 4,682 receiving yards, and 69 receiving touchdowns? Give the family name and then list each member in order of most yards and touchdowns to least.
Holbert
Scott
Greg
Jeff
Jimmy
Terry

5 If you didn't already know it, the Sultan of Smack has a theme song, in it they mention Guffey’s snap at Vinton in 1989, who was Guff snapping to?
Sun Leeper

6 Nothing against Guff (and most of you know I'm related to him) but keeping in the same frame of mind, if Guff’s snap hadn’t occurred and the score ended at 24-23 who would have been given credit for scoring the game winning touchdown (Who scored for the ‘Cats to give us 24 points)
Charlie Gatchel Charlie scored on a fade route down our sidelines

7 Name the last Tomcat to return the opening kickoff back for a touchdown in a game that was won by the ‘Cats
Bruce Fouts Jr 2004 against Eastern. Neat trivia, prior to this return, the last Tomcat to return the opening kickoff for a TD in a win was Bruce Fouts in 1981 (Fed)

8 Who scored the winning touchdown in the 1979 Trimble 7 Nelsonville-York 6 game?
Mike Roback

9 What season did Terry Dugan become the Public Address Announcer?

10 Who is the monument and the flag pole inside the stadium a memorial to?
Tom Essex

11 Now for some love for the big guys (10-win edition), Name the starting offensive line for the Tomcats in 2001
center Mike Losey, guards Adam Faires, Zack Walton, tackles Dave Lanning, Travis Nott

12 Name the starting offensive line for the Tomcats in 1989 (two people could be listed for left tackle)
Center - Jerry Pastol, Guards - Jason Guffey Brent Swaro tackles Ritchie Cain John Tyler Jim Wright

13 Name the starting offensive line for the Tomcats in 1980 (two people could be listed for tight end)
Center - Mike Deal, Guards - Bruce Fouts and Steve Lanning, Tackles - Larry Dixon and Friz Dillion Tight Ends - Eric Faires, John Jones

14 Why was the start of the 1993 Eastern game delayed?
Transformer fire knocked out the lights near the baseball field

15 What is the only senior class (by football season) to be teammates with three players who were or would be first team All-Ohio for two straight seasons?
1995 Joe Wright was a senior that season, and when the 1995 team were Freshman they were on the team with two-time All-Ohio player Reuben Kittle, then their Senior season they were teammates with Freshman at the time, and future two-time All-Ohio player, Brady Trace.

16 What player, who never had a 100 yard rushing game in his career, rushed for 5 touchdowns in one game?
Aaron Docie In 1982 Aaron scored 5 touchdowns on 97 yards rushing against Vinton County. Aaron played with other great backs like Chris Adams, Steve Campbell, Paul Jewell, Kenny McClelland, and Tee Morrison

17 Who scored the first receiving touchdown in post-consolidation Tomcat history?
Sam Hardy caught a pass for the 12 yard score

18 Who threw the first touchdown pass in post-consolidation Tomcat history?
Floyd Russell This was the second overall TD in post-consolidation history

19 Who scored the first rushing touchdown in post-consolidation Tomcat history?
Donald McDonald broke a 34-yard run on the opening drive of the 1964 Glouster v York game

20 Who scored the first touchdown in the Trimble/Nelsonville-York rivalry?
Terry Everett scored on a 3 yard run and had his name misspelled "Everetts" in the Messenger story
Last edited by Warpig on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 14 times in total.

the Kool-Aid Man
Freshman Team

Re: Trimble Trivia 20 Questions

Post by the Kool-Aid Man »

Here we Go #2 Dave Lanning...#3 Bobby Trace....#4 Holbert..Greg Scott Jimmy Jeff.....#5 Sun Leaper....#6 Jeff Holbert....#11 center mike losey....guards adam faires,and zack walton tackles were dave lanning and the Dancin Bear Travis Nott..12 Jerry Pastol, Ritchie Cain Jason Guffey Swaro and John tyler.....#14 Lights by the baseball fiels went out....(Coach Woot told me that one).....

King of Kings
Freshman Team

Post by King of Kings »

3. Charlie Gatchel (im guessing this because I think kool aid man has it right but you never know)
5. Sun Leeper
6. Sun Leeper
7. Bruce Fouts Jr. I believe Eastern tried an onside kick the big man scooped it up and took it to the house.
10. I believe Tom Essex
12. Kool aid man left out Jim Wright (a very underrated player on that team, the guy was pretty good esp. on defense)

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Update on progress

The Kool-Aid Man correct on #2,3, part of 4, 5, 11, 12, and 14
TCAT1000+ correct on #10 and picking up The Kool-Aid Man on #12

#4 is the Holbert family, the task that is left is to put them in proper order, yardage and touchdowns
#6 is not Jeff Holbert although he did catch the actual game winning pass or Sun Leeper although he had an exellence game at Vinton (I believe his most yards of the season)
#7 Quite honestly now that I think about it, I don't have the newspaper articles from Bruce Fouts Jr senior year, maybe The Kool-Aid Man can verify this

the Kool-Aid Man
Freshman Team

Is the answer to #1 the Bomb Squad
#4 Jeff Scott Greg Jimmy

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

The Kool-Aid Man #1 is correct

The order of Holbert from most receiving yards and TDs to fewest is not:
Greg Scott Jimmy Jeff
or
Jeff Scott Greg Jimmy

Holbert order
1:
2:
3:
4: Jimmy
5:

Lungbuster
JV Team

Post by Lungbuster »

7. Blake Fouts against alex in 06

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

I looked up to make sure and Bruce Fouts 2004 return was the last opening kickoff returned for a touchdown in a win.

crebman1
Waterboy

Post by crebman1 »

#13. Larry Dixon and Fritz Dillon at Tackes. Bruce Fouts and Steve Lanning at Guards. Mike Deal at Center. Eric Faires at Tight End. ......just a guess.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Crebman1 - you have all of the line, there were times when the 1980 squad went double tight ends, so there is one more tight end to go.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Start the hints:

6 Nothing against Guff (and most of you know I'm related to him) but keeping in the same frame of mind, if Guff’s snap hadn’t occurred and the score ended at 24-23 who would have been given credit for scoring the game winning touchdown (Who scored for the ‘Cats to give us 24 points)
This player was not a senior on the 1989 team

8 Who scored the winning touchdown in the 1979 Trimble 7 Nelsonville-York 6 game?
It was a rushing touchdown

9 What season did Terry Dugan become the Public Address Announcer?
The first game he announced was very memorable

13 Name the starting offensive line for the Tomcats in 1980 (two people could be listed for tight end)
Center - Mike Deal, Guards - Bruce Fouts and Steve Lanning, Tackles - Larry Dixon and Friz Dillion Tight End - Eric Faires depending on the formation one more tight end
nicknamed "The Jet"

15 What is the only senior class (by football season) to be teammates with three players who were or would be first team All-Ohio for two straight seasons?
It is the senior year of one of our two-time first team All-Ohioans

16 What player, who never had a 100 yard rushing game in his career, rushed for 5 touchdowns in one game?
It didn't happen in 1980, but he was a member of the 1980 team

17 Who scored the first receiving touchdown in post-consolidation Tomcat history?
TCAT1000+ has an advantage for this question

18 Who threw the first touchdown pass in post-consolidation Tomcat history?
Check out the FAQ page on the alumni website

His first name is only two letters different than his last

He holds a touchdown record at Trimble

King of Kings
Freshman Team

Post by King of Kings »

Here you go Warpig. Pretty much all guesses
6. Charlie Gatchel only guy I could think of other than Sun that wasn't a senior.
8. Gene Campbell
9. Minford Trimble 1985 ????? big time guess
13. Todd Trace would be the missing tight end
15. I'm not sure I understand this question but im going to say 1992
16. Scott Christman
18. Floyd Russell
19. Dave Davis
20. Byron Guinther

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

TCAT1000+ your correct on #6, #18
8. Gene Campbell was the starting tailback, but didn't score the gamewinner
9. Not the Trimble Minford game known for the big fight, instead a game you would remember especially well
13. Todd Trace's senior season was 1979, this player was also a DB and had a son that had a pretty good football career at a school on I70
15. The 1992 football team was teammates with two players that were or would be two time first team All-Ohio, not three, so your in the right ballpark
16. Not Scott Christman, the correct player was not a senior on the 1980 team
19. Not Dave Davis (this is a real tough question) I recently put a clip on Youtube featuring a player with the same last name as this individual
20. Byron Guinther scored the second TD in the Trimble/Nelsonville-York rivalry

the Kool-Aid Man
Freshman Team

#9 Trimble NY 7-2 in 89

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

The Kool-Aid Man, it wasn't Nelsonville-York 1989. I was sitting next to Dad and he asked me to beat the halftime rush and get us some popcorn. As I got up and started through the crowd, Bing hit Charlie for the only TD of the game and I missed it. So no, Terry was not announcing that game, and I often bring up the fact that he made me miss one of the biggest Touchdowns in Trimble history.

Another hint, it was a last second Tomcat victory

King of Kings
Freshman Team

Post by King of Kings »

8. Bill Jones
9. 1992 Trimble vs. Symmes Valley
13. Johnny Jones

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

TCAT1000+ correct on #9 and 13

#8 wasn't Bill Jones and through process of elimination the answer should be pretty easy now.

Other hints

The two time All-Ohio player who was a senior this season wore #51

He wore #20 and his senior season was 1983

Initials are S and H

Initials are D and M

He was also a punt and kickoff returner (TD Records)

If no other guesses the answers will be revealed on Wednesday

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Over here in Pike Co. we are enjoying the recruiting process for Derek Roback. Do any Tomcats remember watching his dad (Mike) play. Was dad better than the son, or is son better than dad!

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

hbk123: you didn't mean to, but you answered #8 Mike Roback scored the game winning touchdown against Nelsonville-York in 1979.

I have some highlights of Mike on YouTube:

1978 Mike finds L.R. Faires for a 34 yard gain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOEzdOZG ... annel_page

1980 Mike kicks the longest field in Trimble history (44 yards) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZmf4gEc ... re=channel

1980 Mike's TD run against Belpre http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRETnfg4 ... annel_page

1980 Mike connects to his favorite target, Scott Holbert
against Federal Hocking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQ4t_67 ... annel_page
against Minford: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDsinHd0 ... annel_page
against Vinton County: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xavSB94a ... annel_page
against Alexander: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLQYORdY ... annel_page

and soon his 1978 TD run against Alexander and 1980 TD pass to Scott Holbert against Nelsonville-York

Other historical Trimble video can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kad ... iew=videos

To answer your question, I won't pit father versus son, one thing to remember when you see all of the highlights of Mike is that at the beginning of his high school career football wasn't his number 1 sport, baseball was, he didn't play football his Freshman year to concentrate on baseball, then was the starting Quarterback his Sophomore year, so when you think of Mike's career you say he was that good, and he missed a year of high school football.

crebman1
Waterboy

Post by crebman1 »

#16. Was his first name Aaron........can't remember the last name to save me.

Return to “The Off season”