Trimble Trivia 3.0 (last one)

General Chat
Warpig
Freshman Team

Trimble Trivia 3.0 (last one)

Post by Warpig »

This will be the last Trivia for a while (maybe start it back up right before the season starts) This time I have them listed in order, what I feel to be easiest to hardest. #10 is a real tough one, probably the toughest question I could think up.

1) Who kicked the game winning extra point to beat Nelsonville-York in 2007?
Issac Standley (Issace threw the TD, then kicked a low line-drive for the 7-6 win)

2) Name the only two players to lead the team in rushing for three straight seasons
Jeff McClelland and Robbie Cooper

3) Since 1973 name the only two freshmen to start and play a complete game at Quarterback
Mark Echstenkamperand Roger Bingman Coach Campbell called in the correct answer of Echstenkamper

4) Name the only two coaches to win their debut game
Virgil Grandy and Phil Faires

5) For what team was Buffalo Wayne a last minute replacement on the 1991 schedule
Wellston (The Rockets canceled their season then did a last minute schedule, Trimble picked up Buffalo Wayne and for some reason played Wellston on the road for three straight meetings '89, '90, and '92)

6) What are the only two players to wear a single digit number and be named All-State?
and Robby Jenkins

7) In 1973 Coach Culver not only guaranteed that we would win at Conotton Valley, but also we would score on our first offensive play, we did. What play did we run on that first play?
Hook and lateral or as some call it flea flicker Stu Patton to Rodney King to Wayne Kolbe

8) What position did Textbook Foundation founder, Wall of Fame member and pre-consolidation historian, Dr. Tom Pappas play for Glouster High School?
Center

9) This player was the leading receiver (in yards gained) for the Tomcats his senior year even though a majority of the passes thrown to him were not from the quarterback, and he didn’t have a reception in the last four games of the season.
J.R. Reynolds The 1994 season was VERY run oriented. It also showed the start of the option-reverse pass thrown by Mark Patton

10) The players listed All-State on the webpage who were named to an All-Ohio team in the days of a separate A.P. and U.P.I vote were those who were voted ether first, second or third team by both organizations. (No honorable or special mentions in ether vote.) There is one player that is not on the list who was U.P.I third team and A.P. special mention, can you name him? (think of great players not on the All-State list and I'll give you an early hint, it's not Rusty Martin)
Mike Echstenkamper
Last edited by Warpig on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Trimble Trivia 3.0 (last one)

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

#5 is Wellston. Wellston had to break out of all its contracts in '91 because they didn't think they had the funds to pay for sports that year. They ended up playing, but had to find all new opponents because the TVC teams all found replacements by then. NY played and defeated Columbus Bishop Ready the week they were supposed to play Wellston that season.

coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

#1 issac standley

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

NYBuckeye96 was correct for #5
Coach K was correct for #1

Teufelhunden
Freshman Team

Post by Teufelhunden »

#2. I'll go with Jeff McClelland and Gene Campbell
#3. Bingman, Stu Patton
#4. Culver, Barry Litteral
#6. Rob Jenkins, no clue on the 2nd one
#7. 84 sprint draw
#8. wing back
#9. Don Holbert pride of the class of 59
#10. How about the 2nd smartest guy in the class of 88 Rich Dooley

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

teufelhunden:
#2. Jeff McClelland is correct, however Jeff was a senior Gene Campbell's sophomore year
#3. Roger Bingman is correct, however the stats I have go back to 1973, Stu Patton started games in the 1972 season, but that is one year out of the range of the question
#4. Culver first game we lost to Crooksville 35-6, Barry Litteral's first game we lost to Minford 21-20
#6. Rob Jenkins is correct
#7. 84 sprint draw: A draw? that isn't a memorable play now is it? not 84 sprint draw
#8. wing back: Dr. Pappas did not play wingback
#9. Don Holbert pride of the class of 59: maybe but our stats only go to 1973 so Don isn't the receiver I'm looking for
#10. Rich Dooley, while he was a very versatile player it wasn't Rich

King of Kings
Freshman Team

Post by King of Kings »

2. Todd Fouts
4. Coach Faires and Coach Pritchard (sp.?)
7. Power 6
8. Tackle
9. Chasy Richards
10. Carl Fouts

Teufelhunden
Freshman Team

Post by Teufelhunden »

Coach Faires beat Symmes Valley his first game then lost the next 4.

Litteral's first lost was against Coal Grove, not Minford. Had my years mixed up we beat Green down there the first game the next year.

You've got me stumped on this one.
Holbert lost his first game to Green.
Litteral lost to Coal Grove.
Dave Pritchard lost his first game to Coal Grove.
Ed. Bolin lost his first game to Coal Grove.

That only leaves me to guess Bocovitz.

the Kool-Aid Man
Freshman Team

Post by the Kool-Aid Man »

#2 Is Robby Cooper AKA THE SNAKE
#3 Brady Trace
#4 Faires and Grandy
#9 JR Reynolds..(Reverse passes from Mark Patton)

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Alright let me tally this up
the Kool-Aid Man:
#2 Robby Cooper AKA THE SNAKE is correct, you and teufelhunden are killing any future questions about nicknames
#3 Brady Trace: Brady started games on offense and defense as a freshman, but not at QB
#4 Faires: Beat Symmes Valley 18-6 and Grandy: Beat York 12-0
#9 JR Reynolds..(Reverse passes from Mark Patton) okay, this question
was up your alley

teufelhunden:
Bokovitz lost to Crooksville 28-0 (Kool-Aid Man picked you up on this one)

TCAT1000+:
2. Todd Fouts: not Fouts, Kool-Aid Man has the correct answer
4. Coach Faires correct and Coach Pritchard lost 36-20 to Coal Grove
7. Power 6: very common first play for the Tomcats, but not what was run
8. Tackle: no, but your rather close
9. Chasy Richards: no but he was on the same team with the correct answer J.R. Reynolds
10. Carl Fouts very deserving player of All-Ohio status, but not the correct answer

Teufelhunden
Freshman Team

Post by Teufelhunden »

I think the play was Rodney King to Wayne Kolby flea flicker.

Dr. Pappas played center.

I am very sure that Dooley was all-state in some aspect.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

teufelhunden:
Correct on the first play of the 1973 Conotton Valley game
Dr. Pappas was the Center on this team

Was your playing days during the time period of the separate AP/UPI votes?

I'll have to look up the Dooley situation, I will just say that I had another player in mind from a different decade.

the Kool-Aid Man
Freshman Team

Post by the Kool-Aid Man »

I know the answer to #6

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

I talked to the Kool-Aid Man and if nobody else answers #6 in the next couple of days I'll give him credit for it.

Hints:
#6 This player changed his number after his junior year to a single digit number
#10 This player was better known at Trimble for his abilities in a sport other than football

I have started the lengthly (because of dial-up) process of adding clips to Youtube. One that I have wanted since starting my video page you can see by following this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q26_T5jXREc it's Jeff McClelland scoring a 79 yard touchdown against Miller in 1978. Jeff was of course our school's all-time leading rusher and the reason we created the Trimble Alumni Football Players Association. I have about five or six more highlights to add, but it takes me almost an hour to get them onto the site.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

Wow he was fast

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Here's Bill Jones on the first play from scrimmage in the 1978 Miller game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFz1Ehpk90

This is Kevin Meade throwing a screen to Jeff McClelland for the only score in the 1977 Trimble/Nelsonville-York game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcwSM1pcvJ4 keep watching to the very end to catch a glimpse of Culver walking the sidelines

Teufelhunden
Freshman Team

Post by Teufelhunden »

Dean and Cindy Dupler say that the all-state player has to be Mike Echstankamper

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Dean and Cindy Dupler would be correct, Mike Echstenkamper was third team UPI and honorable mention AP. Of course Mike would go on to be an All-American at Ohio University playing baseball, and is in the Ohio University Athletic Hall of Fame.

Now all we need is the other single digit player to be named All-Ohio.
Hint: He was All-State the first year Trimble had single-digit numbers along with a teammate who both excelled on the Defensive side of the ball

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Latest Youtube clip Jim Bickley and Eric Faires against Nelsonville-York in 1980 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvs5IhXh6Yk

You can see all of the highlights at http://www.youtube.com/user/kadugan28

Return to “The Off season”