NY Football Trivia - What teams have NY played more than 10X

General Chat
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: NY Football Trivia - What teams have NY played more than 10X

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Mister B guessed the final school.........Crooksville

Now everyone can take their guesses as to ranking the teams in order from most games played to fewest games played for those 12 schools.....

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Mister B has correctly ranked 7 of the 12 schools. I am not going to say which 7 are right yet though! :-D

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I though tCrooksville but I remember most of the time we scrimmaged them in the 80's.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

buckfan84 wrote:I though tCrooksville but I remember most of the time we scrimmaged them in the 80's.

They played in the regular season throughout the '70s - '82. Also, they played three times this decade on top of that. Those were some heated rivalry matchups back then. Both Crooksville and NY each won a state championship during that span of time playing each other every year.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Anyone else interested in trying to rank the teams in order of most games played against?

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Well, I got all 12 teams and 7 of the 12 are ranked in the correct spot!

If I try and rerank the teams, I'll get a lower score. So, I'm all in with my hand and see if someone else can make a better hand on the river card. :lol:

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

These I am sure of how many times they have played.

Belpre - 39

Vinton County - 38 - no game in 1973

Miller - 10 TVC games - it could be more

Fed Hock - 23 TVC games - probably is more

Meigs - 25 TVC games- could be more

Trimble - 15 TVC games - probably 36 since Trimble formed in 1973

Warren - 16 TVC games - could be more

Wellston - 26 TVC games - No game in 1991 - could be more

I just don't have the NY non-league games documented.

Not a clue on Lagan and Athens, but it would be a high number. Someone from those schools could fill those numbers in.

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Rankings:

#1 - Athens
#2 - Belpre
#3 - Vinton County
#4 - Trimble
#5 - Alexander
#6 - Logan
#7 - Fed Hock
#8 - Wellston
#9 - Meigs
#10 - Warren
#11 - Crooksville
#12 - Miller

Simply guesswork on most of those.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Run Bubba Run wrote:These I am sure of how many times they have played.

Belpre - 39

Vinton County - 38 - no game in 1973

Miller - 10 TVC games - it could be more

Fed Hock - 23 TVC games - probably is more

Meigs - 25 TVC games- could be more

Trimble - 15 TVC games - probably 36 since Trimble formed in 1973

Warren - 16 TVC games - could be more

Wellston - 26 TVC games - No game in 1991 - could be more

I just don't have the NY non-league games documented.

Not a clue on Lagan and Athens, but it would be a high number. Someone from those schools could fill those numbers in.

Your TVC numbers add up fine. However, NY played several current TVC schools before those schools actually became members of the TVC in the 1970's. So that would increase games played versus some of these schools. Similarly, NY played its first three seasons in the SEOAL and had some non-league games against schools that are now part of the TVC - those three games in '67, '68, and '69 make all the difference in who the number one opponent is of all time vs. NY. The number one spot has not been guessed correctly. Athens, though high on the list, is not the number one opponent in terms of games played.

Regarding Trimble, Trimble actually consolidated before NY did - in the fall of '64. According to Wikipedia.....At the start of the 1964-65 school year Glouster High School and Jacksonville-Trimble (known as J-T) High School consolidated. From 1964 until 1973 the school was known as Glouster High School. In 1973 a new school opened just outside of Jacksonville in Trimble Township. The school adopted the name of the township becoming Trimble High School.

My only clue I am giving right now is that the person who guesses the #1 opponent of all time will be the person who knows what NY's non-league schedule was in '67, '68, and '69 as members of the SEOAL and/or is familiar with the non-league schedule against current TVC schools BEFORE those schools joined the TVC.

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

OK Buckeye96, forgot about when Nelsonville became NY.

VC played NY in both 67, 68 and 69 prior to Nelsonville-York joining the TVC. I don't think NY played Belpre prior to joining the TVC, so I guess that would put VC at the head of NY opponents list with a total of 41 encounters which NY leads with a 33-8-0 record. That's 42 years worth of history. The "no game" in 1973 was due to the VC school strike.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Run Bubba Run wrote:OK Buckeye96, forgot about when Nelsonville became NY.

VC played NY in both 67, 68 and 69 prior to Nelsonville-York joining the TVC. I don't think NY played Belpre prior to joining the TVC, so I guess that would put VC at the head of NY opponents list with a total of 41 encounters which NY leads with a 33-8-0 record. That's 42 years worth of history. The "no game" in 1973 was due to the VC school strike.

You are right! Vinton County is number one all-time in terms of number of games played against the Buckeyes. The Vikings and Buckeyes have played in 41 of the 42 seasons of Buckeye football. The one year they did not play was the 1973 VC Teachers Strike. VC was in fact on NY's schedule for '73, but the game was cancelled (as was several other VC games that year).

So Vinton County has been on the schedule for every year of Buckeye football history, with one game being cancelled in '73 because of the strike, meaning 41 games have been played out of a possible 42 years of football for NY. The first three games were non-league when the Buckeyes were in the SEOAL, and then TVC league games every year since.

NY is 33-8 all-time against Vinton County. Of the Vikings 8 wins, only 1 was by more than one touchdown. The Vikings have won 4 games by one point over NY, one game by 2 points, one game by 3 points, one game by 6 points, and the one blowout - 1996's 36 point win.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Mister B was correct in having Belpre second on the all-time list of games played vs. NY, with 39 games played as of the present.....all 39 have been league games in the TVC. The Buckeyes and Golden Eagles have played every season since 1970. The Buckeyes lead the all-time series 24-15 over the Golden Eagles. Belpre has more victories over NY than any other team except for Logan.

The second place mark in terms of games played is actually tied with one other school, which no one has correctly names as of yet. Anyone care to guess which school?

1. Vinton County - 41 games
2T. Belpre - 39 games
2T.
6T.
6T.
10T.
10T.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Great reading keep it coming

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Athens 2
Trimble 4
Meigs? 5

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

55Buckeyes98 wrote:Athens 2
Trimble 4
Meigs 5

Athens is not second.
Trimble is not fourth.
Meigs is not fifth.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Trimble played Nelsonville every year starting in 1970. That would be 39 games tying them for second

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Orange and Brown wrote:Miller- before the incident

not to change the subject but, what incident??

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Warpig wrote:Trimble played Nelsonville every year starting in 1970. That would be 39 games tying them for second

Trimble is tied for second with Belpre, having played each year since 1970. NY is 25-12-2 all-time against Trimble. Every year that Belpre has been on the NY schedule, Trimble has been there as well. The difference being only the games between 1978-1992 were TVC league games with Trimble. Between 1980-1992, the game was the Week 10 match-up between the two schools. When Trimble wins this game, it is nearly always a close contest. NY's wins are more often than not blowouts. 9 out of the 12 wins for Trimble were by 10 points or less. The Trimble wins by more than 10 points were: '70, '80, and '85.

We are now down to fourth place on the countdown........any guesses?

1. Vinton County - 41 games
2T. Belpre - 39 games
2T. Trimble - 39 games
6T.
6T.
10T.
10T.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I would say Athens 4th or 5th but I am not sure.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Orange and Brown wrote:I would say Athens 4th or 5th but I am not sure.

We are slowly getting to Athens, but the Bulldogs are not fourth or fifth. Reason being that between 1970-1982, the Buckeyes and Bulldogs did not play each other. The non-league series resumed in 1983, the first game since the Buckeyes left the SEOAL after the '69 season.

However, if you took into account the old Nelsonville Greyhounds and the NY Buckeyes combined, Athens would be the number one opponent of all-time. They have played each other since the beginning of organized high school sports except for the years 1970-1982. Unless you count Pomeroy/Middleport/Meigs combined, that would be more games since Pomeroy and Middleport were both league games for the old Nelsonville Greyhounds, meaning two games each year, to Athens' one game. I don't know if the Greyhounds played The Plains and Chauncey-Dover enough to overcome that difference. The Plains and Chauncey-Dover were the two non-league rivals for the Greyhounds in most years. But that was basicly half of the old Greyhounds schedule right there.....Pomeroy, Middleport, Athens, The Plains, and Chauncey-Dover. Plus, Jackson, Logan, Gallia Academy, and Wellston. Back then, it was a 9 game season for the Greyhounds in most seasons from what I have gathered so far. But again, I am NOT including the games for the old Greyhounds in the list - only games since becoming Nelsonville-York.

I will give you all a hint......4th, 5th, and the two teams tied for 6th all-time are current TVC OHIO rivals. No current league rival is below 6th place on the all-time list.

Return to “The Off season”