Ironton Trivia

General Chat
lostcause
Freshman Team

Re: Ironton Trivia

Post by lostcause »

after more inspection i think you are right cause that looks like glad tidings in the background..

littlehornetsfan1214
JV Team

Post by littlehornetsfan1214 »

right now that is were cindys studio is the downstairs is empty(of course).
buckeye1 is right that is 3rd and park ave.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

lostcause wrote:after more inspection i think you are right cause that looks like glad tidings in the background..

Glad Tidings is in the same building where the Sportsmen bar was and the bowling alley was up stairs above the bar.......

Gabler's moved in when Penny's left.......

Kantucky, next time I go to Wally-World to pick up some depends I will see if they have anything to cure your diarrhea of the mouth disease.............

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You, are NOT a very nice person at times Turk!

Hmmmmmmmmm I knew that building as Revco. Then..across the alley, The Sportsman and above it..'The Flying Machine' (and 'The Top Of The Stairs' at one time?)....it was a club and they had a huge fan in the back wall. They had a huge plane painted on the wall and the fan made the propeller. It would be so crowded there, had their been a fire? oh man, it would have been bad! People would have never made it down those steps!

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:
lostcause wrote:after more inspection i think you are right cause that looks like glad tidings in the background..

Glad Tidings is in the same building where the Sportsmen bar was and the bowling alley was up stairs above the bar.......

Gabler's moved in when Penny's left.......

Kantucky, next time I go to Wally-World to pick up some depends I will see if they have anything to cure your diarrhea of the mouth disease.............

A bowling alley upstairs?

Wasn't it noisy for the business underneath it?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Comon Instructor, you know your Cutie Pie gets things mixed up....just humor him ;-)

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

kantuckyII wrote:Comon Instructor, you know your Cutie Pie gets things mixed up....just humor him ;-)

diarrhea of the mouth disease.............I just luv that kind of humor..........I find it very humorous you cant find any info on your friend Obama to cut and paste today.........

I also find it very humorous you have a wealth of knowledge about the bars above the Sportsman, but you forgot about the bowling alley that was up there..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You're nothing but a mean old bitter man! I have done nothing but be nice to you ever since I saw you talking about me (lip reading) that one time and you have done nothing but insult and belittle me ever since! You're just a bad man Turk! a bad man in spats!

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

kantuckyII wrote:You're nothing but a mean old bitter man! I have done nothing but be nice to you ever since I saw you talking about me (lip reading) that one time and you have done nothing but insult and belittle me ever since! You're just a bad man Turk! a bad man in spats!

you aint never been nice to me.......lip reading, come on you are killing me with that diarrhea of the mouth disease, you need to check your self in the fruitcake ward at Kings Daughter, maybe you can lip read the phone number out of the book.....

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

littlehornetsfan1214 wrote:right now that is were cindys studio is the downstairs is empty(of course).
buckeye1 is right that is 3rd and park ave.

This is not where Cyndi's Studio is. It's in the next block west.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

J C Penneys, Gallagher Drugs or Scherer-Mountain Insurance. I spent a lot of time at the soda fountain at Gallagher Drugs back when I was a youngin. It used to be one of the hangouts for all the kids going to the Youth Center.

Yes the Sportsman did have a bowling alley upstairs with real live pin setters. I bowled there a couple of years with the DMI in the Ironton City Tournament. I think they had eight lanes at that time.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

joe where was the ritzy rae, or ray at. my grandpappy used to bartend there, this may have been before your and pappy bait's time. but i hear it was quite the place.

wcurtislloyd
Waterboy

Post by wcurtislloyd »

Does anyone remember Pete Corbin's Market north of Ironton on old State Route 75 (now State Route 93) ?

How about the two-room Hecla Elementary School that housed grades one thru seven?

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

wcurtislloyd wrote:Does anyone remember Pete Corbin's Market north of Ironton on old State Route 75 (now State Route 93) ?

I married Pete Corbin's granddaughter.............when Pete retired he moved to Ironton and resided in the 2500 block of South 10th......

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:joe where was the ritzy rae, or ray at. my grandpappy used to bartend there, this may have been before your and pappy bait's time. but i hear it was quite the place.

Wasn't the RitzyRae located where the bowling alley is now..... :?: :?:

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:joe where was the ritzy rae, or ray at. my grandpappy used to bartend there, this may have been before your and pappy bait's time. but i hear it was quite the place.

That's what I was thinking. What was its name when Ducky owned it.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

RiverRatRay wrote:
TigerTownTurkey wrote:

That's what I was thinking. What was its name when Ducky owned it.

Alzheimer is starting to set in......but I think it was the Latin Quarter.

I think the Pink Elephant was located where Desco is now, does that sound right :?:

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Turkey:

Did the pink elephant turn into the Beef and Brew? and maybe later Changes? Seems like i might have seen Billy Ray perform there way early in his career.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

85inside wrote:Turkey:

Did the pink elephant turn into the Beef and Brew? and maybe later Changes? Seems like i might have seen Billy Ray perform there way early in his career.

I found out in therapy this morning that the Pink Elephant was located where Carpet Sensations is now.

The Brass Lantern was located on the Desco lot. I have to do some research with the old mailmen in town about Beef and Brew and Changes.....both of them ring a bell but right now the ol skull isnt pulling anything in to put a location on em.

Now all of this is subject to change as I talk to more knowlegeable people who would have frequented these establishments....

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Oh, then the pink elephant turned into the Barn and then the Place....many a wet t shirt contest was rumored to have occured there....no, I never won any of them. :lol:

Brass lantern did indeed later become Beef and Brew and i believe later "Changes".

All this talk has me remembering tursday nights in 1985 at Shenanigans. 3 little kings for a buck after class at the Branch...maybe even drank one with our professor...algebra, he taught. Maybe even refereed with Mailman Mahlmeister? :-D Those were the days.

Return to “The Off season”