What is the first paying job you had?

General Chat
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

What is the first paying job you had?

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Carrier for the Newark Advocate, was my first job.

Edit
Cutting grass was actually the first job.
Just did not put it down, until I read another post.
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: What is the first paying job you had?

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Carrier for the Pomeroy Daily Sentinel

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I was cutting grass, shoveling snow and helping with carpentry stuff for pay as early as 8. I know it sounds crazy but I did. me n my best friend at the time greg ainsworth used to catch fish from the ohio river and sell them. our biggest seller was carp. we met a group of black men that would buy as many as we could catch. so this was 1968. they taught us how to catch carp and we slayed em. my 1st paying job as far as taxes and stuff was at bonanza steakhouse in Russell, ky. it's where the hillbilly flea market is now. minimum wage was 1.10 an hour. I was 16 in 1976. and I done everything from mopping, cooking, doing dishes, putting the letters on the reader board, to roof work, unclogging drains , to climbing up in the dumpster and stomping it down, to get more in it. and out would come rats, cats, and them huge river rats. it was crazy.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Grass cutting...leaf raking....snow shoveling.
Then paid 2 bucks an hour at a gas station...pumping gas, checking fluids and general cleanup. Paid under the table.

Paying taxes....working for school district in the summer at 2.50 an hour. This was 1975

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

other than grass cutting, with a real push mower, shoveling snow it was delivering the Columbus Dispatch. My first real job was a factory worker in 1966 at $1.65 an hour. That was the M. Wage then. Top pay per hour on that machine was $5.25. Didn't get there until I came out of the army in 1969. When I left there with 13 years in it paid $8.35. Started my next job at a local factory at $8.50.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:54 pm Grass cutting...leaf raking....snow shoveling.
Then paid 2 bucks an hour at a gas station...pumping gas, checking fluids and general cleanup. Paid under the table.

Paying taxes....working for school district in the summer at 2.50 an hour. This was 1975
Also delivered the Columbus Dispatch for one year.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Paperboy

Return to “The Off season”