INFORMATION ON LAKE WHITE.

General Chat
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: INFORMATION ON LAKE WHITE.

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it's a done deal feller look on my facebook page at the pictures the concrete is coming apart. they opened the main gate Thursday night, and will at least have to pull it down to winter pool, I spect they'll completely empty it though. and they just stocked it. I never got a call from anybody from the state. I've been calling anybody I know that works out of town that has a boat in the water. the started the dump last night I'm told at 9. at 10 a neighbor called me is how I found out. now I know why I never got a call back. I told them weeks ago I don't care what devices you're using. you have an extremely serious situation going on. you don't get 3 days of torrential rain and lose water. you can see on the backside of the dam where they were sealing cracks in the new concrete.but there are thousands of cracks back there.
and the million dollar question here, is who pays for this repair.i'm just sick, to be honest, I'm mad enough I just feel like crying.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Sorry to hear Bait. They wasn't selling me no Aquifer and evaporation from the beginning either buddy. Common sense could see we've had enough rain and it just lost too much water too quickly. How long ya think till they get the concrete fixed? I bet they knew the truth all along where the water was going.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it's a terrible scene here. there are sheriff's cruisers trying to intercept people that still have boats in, the marina is overflowing with pontoons and speedboats now. my neighbor's sailboat is beached. it was already stuck. we got insane rain here last night and even this morning. I called and let him know but he still could not get it out. just dumping out so quickly. and they have dismantled the concrete plant where they were mixing and pouring concrete from, it's gone. the campgrounds are all full up. bill's bait house and the lake white club are both under new ownership as well as lance vallery buying the marina. it's hard telling how many tens of thousands were spent there on excavation and concrete pours. I never even put my jon boat or canoe in. I knew what was going on. houses are for sell all over the place. and my contacts won't even call me back now that I been in constant contact with at various agencies. everybody went dark. a lot of people bought and built homes this last year or so here because the lake was in the process of being rebuilt. not in front of my place, because I kept after it. but just down from me several houses the rotting vegetation is black and smells like sewage. it's a bad scene here right now. and I could not count how many people built brand new docks, and had heavy equipment excavation done at their homes.i'm gonna leave it in the lord's hands and try my level best to maintain it while it's down. and hope it's a quick fix. but I can see them having to remove the whole dam structure, because the concrete looks awful. ya'll hear anything further , let me know.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

there is evidence they were trying to seal the cracks. somebody call that feller that cuts boats in half and fixes em with flex seal and tell him , we need about 40 tons of it. I can tell you what I'd do. I'd hire completely different crews and I'd pour a dam that's a spillway right behind the current one. and tear the new one out. if they can fix lake vesuvious out back of ironton, they can do it here. pike lake was fixed several years ago, and they had to redo it. and the whole hill slid where they clear cut it to make a new road to forest hills because no concrete was used or pilings drove. which is a tee total mess now. cause I drove back up on the hill behind it and viewed it myself.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I'm not trying to make waves , but just get answers. how do you spend somewhere between 31-36 million and have this happen. it's in god's hands as far as I'm concerned. not to mention 3 of the 4 roads around the lake closed for the project. think about 1st responders trying to get to people to save lives. and the traffic here now is like ten fold what it was , as the only way around.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

It's sad for all of you guys around the Lake in various ways. I hope they get it fixed soon, Bait. Someone will have to fix the screw up, sounds like the concrete (testing) engineer was slacking on the job. My brother use to test concrete before they poured bridges, been to school for it. He told me onetime it's gotta be about perfect before pouring if the structure will be used (for) under enormous amounts of pressure all the time. I think they add stuff to the mixture as well for certain structures to with stand heavy loads of pressure. Maybe that's what happened to the dam, the new concrete wasn't right and weak. Hope they get it fixed soon ole buddy.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

This wasn't poured concrete. It is roller compacted concrete. It is put down almost dry like asphalt in 1 foot lifts and then compacted. It has a lot of fly ash in it and less cement. But I am not sure if that is the root cause or not. The water still has to get through the earthen dam before it can get through the concrete. That wasn't happening before the rebuild that I know of (except at i spot by the bridge that started the whole project), so why is it happening now?

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Didn't know that Flush, I got the idea it was poured from above posts, but sounds like strong stuff you are referring to, but why is there cracks in it already? Bait said he seen spots where they tried to repair cracks.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller-compacted_concrete
Roller-compacted concrete (RCC) or rolled concrete (rollcrete) is a special blend of concrete that has essentially the same ingredients as conventional concrete but in different ratios, and increasingly with partial substitution of fly ash for Portland cement.[2] RCC is a mix of cement/fly ash, water, sand, aggregate and common additives, but contains much less water. The produced mix is drier and essentially has no slump. RCC is placed in a manner similar to paving; the material is delivered by dump trucks or conveyors, spread by small bulldozers or specially modified asphalt pavers, and then compacted by vibratory rollers.
In dam construction, roller-compacted concrete began its initial development with the construction of the Alpe Gera Dam near Sondrio in North Italy between 1961 and 1964. Concrete was laid in a similar form and method but not rolled.[3][4] RCC had been touted in engineering journals during the 1970s as a revolutionary material suitable for, among other things, dam construction.[5] Initially and generally, RCC was used for backfill, sub-base and concrete pavement construction, but increasingly it has been used to build concrete gravity dams because the low cement content and use of fly ash cause less heat to be generated while curing than do conventional mass concrete placements. Roller-compacted concrete has many time and cost benefits over conventional mass concrete dams; these include higher rates of concrete placement, lower material costs and lower costs associated with post-cooling and formwork.
Dam applications[edit]

Willow Creek Dam, RCC gravity dam, Oregon, USA
For dam applications, RCC sections are built lift-by-lift in successive horizontal layers resulting in a downstream slope that resembles a concrete staircase. Once a layer is placed, it can immediately support the earth-moving equipment to place the next layer. After RCC is deposited on the lift surface, small dozers typically spread it in one-foot-thick (300mm) layers.[6]
The first RCC dam built in the USA was the Willow Creek Dam on Willow Creek, a tributary in Oregon of the Columbia River. It was constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers between November 1981[7] and February 1983.[5] Construction proceeded well, within a fast schedule and under budget (estimated $50 million, actual $35 million). On initial filling though, it was found that the leakage between the compacted layers within the dam body was unusually high. This condition was treated by traditional remedial grouting at a further cost of $2 million, which initially reduced the leakage by nearly 75%; over the years, seepage has since decreased to less than 10% of its initial flow. Concern over the dam's long-term safety has continued however, although only indirectly related to its RCC construction. Within a few years of construction, problems were noted with stratification of the reservoir water, caused by upstream pollution and anoxic decomposition, which produced hydrogen sulfide gas. Concerns were expressed that this could in turn give rise to sulfuric acid, and thus accelerate damage to the concrete. The controversy itself, as well as its handling, continued for some years. In 2004 an aeration plant was installed to address the root cause in the reservoir, as had been suggested 18 years earlier.[5]
In the quarter century since Willow Creek, considerable research and experimentation have yielded innumerable improvements in concrete mix designs, dam designs and construction methods for roller-compacted concrete dams; by 2008, about 350 RCC dams existed world-wide.[8] Currently the highest dam of this type is the Chinese Longtan Dam, at 216 m, with the Pakistani Diamer-Bhasha Dam under construction at 272 m.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

I am not sure if these FB pics are public or whether they are viewable here.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

yes those pictures are public and on numerous folk's pages on facebook here. mainly the attorney and judge paul price here locally. he has spearheaded this. but there are numerous pictures of trying to seal cracks a float. things are being told now. they apparently took the lowest bid, it was a non union job. and all that, I frankly could care less. it bad. there are people cussing people out on facebook and everything. I had a chance to be on the news Friday when they were here. but elected to share stuff with them off camera. they were virtually right in front of my house with a camera man, and an investigator. he gave me a card and told me to contact him, and they'd do a story. but I don't think I will. it was fox news in Columbus. and the rotting vegetation smells like sewage.

I personally think, and this is just me. I think they saw the rain we had coming, they'd seen the thousands of cracks and panicked. supposedly they started calling everybody at 9pm Thursday night after they's started dumping. ohio division of wildlife was pulling stuck boats out yesterday. but for many too late. many of the folks here live here seasonally or weekends and had no idea at all.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

who calls at 9pm and says we are dumping the lake right now this evening. get your boat out.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I have never seen a day like yesterday where we just got numerous torrential flooding rains time after time after time. there is an island of sorts in front of my house. a large hump if you will. it was revealed 4 different times yesterday as water was dumping, then the rain would cover it back up again.this happened 4 times yesterday. I'm talking about an area as big as a house at least.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I thought it was strange also they wanted to dump it right before the big rains moved in. You might be onto something there bait. Sounds like they might have been worried about the strength of the dam holding up to all the rain they knew was coming. My brother and nephew have worked around concrete all their life and they say the longer concrete sets the stronger is gets. Maybe they thought it wasn't set up enough yet to handle that much rain.With that much concrete it would probably take awhile to hydrate all the moisture out for it to set. All those cracks doesn't look good!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Ole Big-Heallld told me that too, when he still lived down the street from here 4 years ago. He said concrete hardens in hours, gets properly hard after about a month, but continues to harden and strengthen for at least five years after that. That dam is reinforced type concrete though, should have never cracked that soon. It had plenty of time to harden up to strength before that lake was at summer pool, maybe not at full strength but had plenty of time to get to a safe hydrate. I still say there's a bigger problem somewhere else that's causing the lake to drain so quickly. JMO. Wish I could talk to Ole Big-heallld, like to hear his thoughts on the Lake White situation, but I would have to drive all the way to Bexley. It seems he changed his phone number when he flew the coop. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

guys I pray it's something that can be quickly fixed. I hope everything thing they done on 104 is a go. and it's just centralized there at the dam. I say get about 50 tons of flex seal, and seal that puppy back up.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

start truckin that stuff in by the 55 gallon barrels, lol

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

hey if you can saw a boat in half n fix it. it's gotta be purty good stuff. an I know it's true cause I seen it on tv.(rolling eyes)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

mrs. bait told me this morning that a couple days ago she was at the super quick there by macdonalds. the ole pee pee gas station. she said a lady at the pump told her they lived on lake white. and just bought a brand new pontoon like a month ago. and Thursday night when they started dumping the lake they called them at 12:30 am and told them to get their boat out. that's insane. put it in the paper, have radio stations announce it. put up signs at the lake. give people some notice. don't flip the switch and start calling people at 9pm at night through 12:30 and later.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it's getting real ornery up here now. they have armed officers in cruisers at the ends of where the project is going on. I pray nobody made a terroristic threat of any kind, c'mon here. and hope it's just a precautionary thing to keep people out of there. but they are sending a clear message, no more pictures down there. some of the posts I'm seeing on facebook about the situation are getting out of hand and new rumors are spreading daily. hit's full out panda-leeria gang.

Return to “The Off season”