Please Read! Help save the jobs at ORVJCF, Franklin Furnace

General Chat
basketballparent
Freshman Team

Please Read! Help save the jobs at ORVJCF, Franklin Furnace

Post by basketballparent »

Please come and join us in support of saving the 368 jobs that will be lost in September if this decision is not reversed! We need the communities support!

Green High School
Saturday, March 26th @ 1:00pm

State Rep. Terry Johnson is coming to show support and speaking to the crowd! Please help us in saving jobs that we cannot afford to lose! Hope to see you there!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Please Read! Help save the jobs at ORVJCF, Franklin Fur

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THAT IS A TRAGEDY INDEED, MY WIFE WAS ONE OF THE HUNDREDS THAT LOST THEIR JOBS AT KINGS DAUGHTERS, ANDTHEY DENIED HER, HER UNEMPLOYMENT. I HOPE THESE JOBS CAN BE SAVED.

basketballparent
Freshman Team

ORV is the newest facility in DYS. We have 4 units that can house more than 80 of Ohio's most violent youth. These units were opened in 2005. They are now renovating 2 facilties to add "wet cells" to transfer these youth into at the cost it would have been to keep us operational. We could have absorbed both facilities populations.
The release authority is also giving these youth an early release. We had one youth several months ago that they knocked over 1,000 days off of his sentence. The youth was on a special management unit, his behaviour was never good enough to even go to general population. He was out a couple of weeks and killed 3 people! This is what Ohio is doing! We are paying fior being in Strickland's backyard!

Please show up at the RALLY and support Scioto County jobs!

eccedomusscientiae
Freshman Team

Post by eccedomusscientiae »

The bottom line is that this is politics. Southern Ohio is targeted because of the voting population and the heavy union base. A Republican Governor knows that he is never going to get a Union to back him/her and that he/she is better off appeasing the Big C's of Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland. The Scioto County Chamber should be working hard to fuind someone or something that will move into that property. I am all for the public display of unity, but doubt very seriously that the republican Governor cares about the protest. As always, when you are talking about the elite two party system, this will be about making the decision that will save the Governors job, not whats best for Southern Ohio.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

We are paying for being in Strickland's backyard!

BINGO!!! We have a winner.

Kasich didn't like Ted and now he is going to do anything and everything he can to punish southern Ohio, or Ted country. Anyone from this area that voted for that S.O.B. is getting exactly what they deserve.

What kills me is all the teachers that voted against Ted because he was going to take away 2 calamity days. I bet they wish they had him now since Kasich is taking away all of their bargaining rights.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: taking away all of their bargaining rights.
On Feb. 24, 2011, Republicans agreed to amend the bill to permit collective bargaining for wages....

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

When you read the articles in the paper it mainly talks about losing good paying jobs. If this is going to stay what is the plan on saving money besides it being a newer better equiped facility as well as having less trouble?

Other groups are having to have budget cuts and it seems that there are more people on staff than what is needed with the population that is being housed there. In the Ironton Tribune today one social worker said she can not get as high paying job in the private sector. Seems like a lot of comments in the paper are related more about money than what is best for the kids that are in there. No matter what there needs to be a plan to provide the best without wasting money.

basketballparent
Freshman Team

I agree with some aspects Farmer! We do have more staff than what we may need for the amount of youth that we are housing at the present time. But a Federal lawsuit mandates that we have 3 officers per unit, a Unit Admistrator and 2 Social Workers on every unit. When you add in maintenance, food service, teachers and guidance counselors, ect. the number of employees seems very high. When I started working there we had approx. 340 youth. DYS had around 1,800 youth in their facilities at the time. We are down to around 700 youth in the system right now. The reason that number is so low is due to the fact the State of Ohio is paying counties to keep the youth in community control programs. That means that a youth that may have committed a serious crime, maybe even against someone you know, may be serving house arrest for this offense. It also means that a youth that has raped, murdered, beaten or robbed may get an early releae to be returned to his community to committ another crime. At ORV we house the worst of the worst. We are equipped to do that! The other facilities are not! They are going to let this place sit here empty while they pump your tax paying dollars into remodeling and putting wet cells in these institutions that are older! We have 4 units of wet cells and can hold around 80 youth in those cells. These youth that are committed to DYS have been in their court systems many times in front of the judge BEFORE they come to us. We have one particular youth that for the month of March already has 7 assaults against staff. Most of which involve throwing urine on them. Our job is dangerous to your health and safety.
I love my job and hate to lose it! I also love to hear success stories about youth we may have helped through our teaching and mentoring.
We have gave up alot through the years in our contracts. We have lost money for the last 3 years in taking Cost Saving Days. I work almost 4 hours a month for them to take from me to help the budget. We haven't had a raise for several years now. We have all submitted ideas on ways to save money that go in one ear and out the other. We are good people there! And yes, it will be hard to replace this job and stay in this county. But it will also be hard on the local economy. The businesses in Franklin Furnace that prosper from the money we spend there!
I hope I have cleared up and questions you may have. I hope you support us Saturday to keep these jobs in our county. Also remember that when you look at our employee numbers that we are a 24/7 operation!

eccedomusscientiae
Freshman Team

Post by eccedomusscientiae »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:

Kasich didn't like Ted and now he is going to do anything and everything he can to punish southern Ohio, or Ted country. Anyone from this area that voted for that S.O.B. is getting exactly what they deserve. What kills me is all the teachers that voted against Ted because he was going to take away 2 calamity days. I bet they wish they had him now since Kasich is taking away all of their bargaining rights.
Are you talking about Kasich or Strickland? LOL. I think if you voted for either one, you get what you deserve. Strickland has been around 20 years and we are no better off. Kasich around for about 4+ so far and nothing.

For the record i dont think it has anything to do with we are from "Strickland country." (A title even Ted disowned in the last election, saying he was now from Northeast Ohio. LOL) We are from a low voter turnout and low voter area. We are from a heavy Union area base and no matter what those Unions are never going to vote republican. Like I said earlier, it is a ping pong ball that the elite two party system keeps paddling back and forth. Keep voting D and R and we will keep getting what we alwats have gotten. Nothing.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

This two party system lost it's luster about 40 years ago. If we don't vote for the best person (regardless of party) we're going in the wrong direction. The bobble heads in DC, state government and the media continue to bring up party affiliation in every story they do. My wife and I don't have a say anymore because we quit voting years ago but this was and will continue to be a problem for years to come.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:

Kasich didn't like Ted and now he is going to do anything and everything he can to punish southern Ohio, or Ted country. Anyone from this area that voted for that S.O.B. is getting exactly what they deserve.

What kills me is all the teachers that voted against Ted because he was going to take away 2 calamity days. I bet they wish they had him now since Kasich is taking away all of their bargaining rights.

Great post!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

eccedomusscientiae wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:

Kasich didn't like Ted and now he is going to do anything and everything he can to punish southern Ohio, or Ted country. Anyone from this area that voted for that S.O.B. is getting exactly what they deserve. What kills me is all the teachers that voted against Ted because he was going to take away 2 calamity days. I bet they wish they had him now since Kasich is taking away all of their bargaining rights.
Are you talking about Kasich or Strickland? LOL. I think if you voted for either one, you get what you deserve. Strickland has been around 20 years and we are no better off. Kasich around for about 4+ so far and nothing.
For the record i dont think it has anything to do with we are from "Strickland country." (A title even Ted disowned in the last election, saying he was now from Northeast Ohio. LOL) We are from a low voter turnout and low voter area. We are from a heavy Union area base and no matter what those Unions are never going to vote republican. Like I said earlier, it is a ping pong ball that the elite two party system keeps paddling back and forth. Keep voting D and R and we will keep getting what we alwats have gotten. Nothing.
Anybody that voted for either one of those 2 have it comming to them. People talk about making changes but wont vote, or find out anything about, the other candidates.

Return to “The Off season”