Riding the Bench

Re: Jr. High week 6

Post by Thegreenwave »

Gallia Academy 28. Fairland 6. Gallia Academy is 5-0

toast
All State

Post by toast »

So just how many kids did this years Burg 8th grade football team pick up between 7th and 8th grade? The Burg 7th grade last year was a good football class but was not even close to dominate. Now they're destroying everyone they face.

I've heard anywhere from 4, 5 or 6 new players came in from other school districts. We know Burg got the best football player in southern Ohio from West and one of Valley's best football players. (Big fullback) Did you end up getting Minford's best player also? Big hard hitting linebacker.

I've never accused Burg of recruiting. Parents bring their kids to Burg for a many different reasons. I'm sure athletics is the top reason for many coming. I just don't want to hear how work ethic, tradition and superior coaching are the main reasons for their success.

Top quality athletes coming into their district has an awful lot to do with their success. I'd also like to know how many of their football players are on course to graduate at 19 years old? I'm willing to bet a whole lot more than most area teams. An extra year does make a big difference in most boys.

I'm sure people will respond by calling me and others who bring up there issues "haters" and "whiners". Simply not true. These are valid issues and concerns that have been around for some time.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

toast wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:15 am So just how many kids did this years Burg 8th grade football team pick up between 7th and 8th grade? The Burg 7th grade last year was a good football class but was not even close to dominate. Now they're destroying everyone they face.

I've heard anywhere from 4, 5 or 6 new players came in from other school districts. We know Burg got the best football player in southern Ohio from West and one of Valley's best football players. (Big fullback) Did you end up getting Minford's best player also? Big hard hitting linebacker.

I've never accused Burg of recruiting. Parents bring their kids to Burg for a many different reasons. I'm sure athletics is the top reason for many coming. I just don't want to hear how work ethic, tradition and superior coaching are the main reasons for their success.

Top quality athletes coming into their district has an awful lot to do with their success. I'd also like to know how many of their football players are on course to graduate at 19 years old? I'm willing to bet a whole lot more than most area teams. An extra year does make a big difference in most boys.

I'm sure people will respond by calling me and others who bring up there issues "haters" and "whiners". Simply not true. These are valid issues and concerns that have been around for some time.
I have been around burg for quite some time now. This is the first time that I have seen a fluctuation of move ins for one grade. I will admit that this grade became very good with it but saying its a concern that's been around for some time is not even true. Sure, one may transfer in but I have seen plenty transfer out of burg for sports as well. So that point is not valid.

Even with some of these transfers, it should be clear on some.

The bigger kid from west is here because his dad lives in burg.
The kid from minford, I believe has always lived in burg.

Not sure why the valley kid, the other west kid, and the webster kid are at burg.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Gonna have to roll my pant legs up from all the tears on this one...don't all the schools that belong to the OHSAA abide by the same rules?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

14U wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:12 pm
Kymike99 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:04 pm Speed aside #32 from west was the player of the game if Burg was recruiting from West why wasn't that kid picked up??? Would love to have him come across the river
Isn’t 32 just a 7th grader?
No

Kymike99
Waterboy

Post by Kymike99 »

I was told Burgs # 12 lives in Portsmouth but was one of the transfering students from west, I wasn't that impressed if that is supposed to be the best player in southern Ohio. I have seen comparable players at many other schools Ironton and Jackson for sure. Wests 32 has my vote seen that kid leave it all on the field more than once. What game would be the best match up tomorrow to watch?

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

40 from Burg is the best i've seen

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

Coming from an Ironton guy, I don't mind the transfers in to Burg. Ironton beat this Burg team last year in the 7th grade 28-0. Burg got some really good players in and this year Burg scored late to win a 12-8 game which was one of the finest, hardest hitting middle school games I've seen. Burgs team is Burgs team and it's a great one. Everyone else needs to work harder and get better, bottom line.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Kymike99 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:05 pm I was told Burgs # 12 lives in Portsmouth but was one of the transfering students from west, I wasn't that impressed if that is supposed to be the best player in southern Ohio. I have seen comparable players at many other schools Ironton and Jackson for sure. Wests 32 has my vote seen that kid leave it all on the field more than once. What game would be the best match up tomorrow to watch?
Did 32 play in burg west game?

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

Frogtownbuckeye wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:25 pm Coming from an Ironton guy, I don't mind the transfers in to Burg. Ironton beat this Burg team last year in the 7th grade 28-0. Burg got some really good players in and this year Burg scored late to win a 12-8 game which was one of the finest, hardest hitting middle school games I've seen. Burgs team is Burgs team and it's a great one. Everyone else needs to work harder and get better, bottom line.
Sounds great as Ironton poached players from other Lawrence County schools for years just as Wheelersburg does now.

My question is if "Work Hard and Get Better" is the answer then why doesn’t Wheelersburg employ this strategy? As you said this 8th grade class is nothing without the transfers just as their current 7th is now.

The Wheelersburg recruiting machine is alive and well. It's very calculated in how its done. Players are identified that will fit the system, and parents make the call to insulate the school. I was shown a text by a Wheelersburg parent that was sent to a current 7th grader at another school just last week.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Injun wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 am
Frogtownbuckeye wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:25 pm Coming from an Ironton guy, I don't mind the transfers in to Burg. Ironton beat this Burg team last year in the 7th grade 28-0. Burg got some really good players in and this year Burg scored late to win a 12-8 game which was one of the finest, hardest hitting middle school games I've seen. Burgs team is Burgs team and it's a great one. Everyone else needs to work harder and get better, bottom line.
Sounds great as Ironton poached players from other Lawrence County schools for years just as Wheelersburg does now.

My question is if "Work Hard and Get Better" is the answer then why doesn’t Wheelersburg employ this strategy? As you said this 8th grade class is nothing without the transfers just as their current 7th is now.

The Wheelersburg recruiting machine is alive and well. It's very calculated in how its done. Players are identified that will fit the system, and parents make the call to insulate the school. I was shown a text by a Wheelersburg parent that was sent to a current 7th grader at another school just last week.
Very good post.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 am

Your post is is what’s wrong with the outside perception of Wheelersburg. There’s no recruiting machine lol. A parent asking another parent saying their kid needs to come to Burg is not what you believe as some sort of “machine.” Parents don’t get together with the coaching staff and administrators of Burg in some war room and say let’s go after this seventh grader because he’s fast.

I’ve been around Burg a long time. Kids do move in and a lot of kids move out. Heck, I was talking to some guy last night about two kids at minford that play in seventh and sixth grade that started out at burg. Im sure valley has never had a transfer from minford or northwest. That’s never been heard of? 🙄

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

wobycat wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am Your post is is what’s wrong with the outside perception of Wheelersburg. There’s no recruiting machine lol. A parent asking another parent saying their kid needs to come to Burg is not what you believe as some sort of “machine.” Parents don’t get together with the coaching staff and administrators of Burg in some war room and say let’s go after this seventh grader because he’s fast.

I’ve been around Burg a long time. Kids do move in and a lot of kids move out. Heck, I was talking to some guy last night about two kids at minford that play in seventh and sixth grade that started out at burg. Im sure valley has never had a transfer from minford or northwest. That’s never been heard of? 🙄
You seem like a good poster. You may believe things are as you say, but they have changed.

Adults shouldn't be contacting 13-14 year old children. Especially those with no prior relationship with them.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:18 am
wobycat wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am Your post is is what’s wrong with the outside perception of Wheelersburg. There’s no recruiting machine lol. A parent asking another parent saying their kid needs to come to Burg is not what you believe as some sort of “machine.” Parents don’t get together with the coaching staff and administrators of Burg in some war room and say let’s go after this seventh grader because he’s fast.

You seem like a good poster. You may believe things are as you say, but they have changed.

Adults shouldn't be contacting 13-14 year old children. Especially those with no prior relationship with them.
I agree but unless you know of more instances of other parents contacting kids in the same manner than It’s not a machine that you believe it is. Plus how do you know this parent doesn’t have some sort of relationship with the kid. Maybe a friend of the kids parent. I find it hard to believe that a parent went out of his way to find this kids cell phone number and randomly text kids that he believes will help burgs program become more successful.

Furthermore you seem to think that a transfer is the only reason Burg is successful. Burg has been good for over 30 years way before social media.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

toast wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:15 am So just how many kids did this years Burg 8th grade football team pick up between 7th and 8th grade? The Burg 7th grade last year was a good football class but was not even close to dominate. Now they're destroying everyone they face.

Injun should know about the age of the kids. He seems to know more about the burg kids than anyone on here

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”