University of Dayton High Flying

countywide35
SEOP

University of Dayton High Flying

Post by countywide35 »

The Flyers on the spotlight here of late both football and basketball. Have a football player at the NFL Combine and the basketball team is ranked #4 in the country. Pretty impressive!!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: University of Dayton High Flying

Post by VetteMan »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:03 pm The Flyers on the spotlight here of late both football and basketball. Have a football player at the NFL Combine and the basketball team is ranked #4 in the country. Pretty impressive!!!
Agree, especially about the Basketball program. University of Dayton is very rarely an easy out for any of the programs around, they most years will be very competitive with any of the big boys that are willing to put them on the schedule.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:33 pm
countywide35 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:03 pm The Flyers on the spotlight here of late both football and basketball. Have a football player at the NFL Combine and the basketball team is ranked #4 in the country. Pretty impressive!!!
Agree, especially about the Basketball program. University of Dayton is very rarely an easy out for any of the programs around, they most years will be very competitive with any of the big boys that are willing to put them on the schedule.

Yes they do. Now they are really on the national stage !! I believe i read where the UD football player is the first since 1977 to be at the NFL
combine.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

countywide35 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:59 am

Yes they do. Now they are really on the national stage !! I believe i read where the UD football player is the first since 1977 to be at the NFL
combine.
I know that you know a lot more about Dayton than I do, but I can remember back when Don Devoe was the basketball coach, and they were always very competitive with the larger schools even then.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 pm

combine.
I know that you know a lot more about Dayton than I do, but I can remember back when Don Devoe was the basketball coach, and they were always very competitive with the larger schools even then.

I’ve recalled Dayton being very competitive in basketball through the years also

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:08 am
VetteMan wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 pm

combine.

I’ve recalled Dayton being very competitive in basketball through the years also
I can't remember the players name, but a few years ago there was a kid from I think the Cincinnati area, that was at OSU for a couple years, he wasn't getting very much playing time while there, so he up and transferred to U.of Dayton. Not only did he finish his career at Dayton, but if I'm not mistaken, they and the Buckeyes met in the NCAA tournament, and he and U.of Dayton beat the Buckeyes and knocked them out of the tournament. There again, I may be wrong as it might have been the NIT tournament.

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Dayton is a team people need to watch come tournament time. They haven’t had too many games on ESPN this year, most tucked away in CBS Sports Network. But not only do they have the National Player of the Year front-runner Obi Toppin, who has insane dunking & passing ability along with efficiency. They are one of the best offensive teams in college basketball this year.

You can’t hide any bad defender on their offense. Kansas’ all-star big man gave up 6 3’s alone on them early in the year, when they gave Dayton one of their 2 losses in OT. All 5 starters can score on all 3 levels on the court and they have a 6th man in Ibi Watson that can as well. In their last game against Davidson, they shot 96.4% (27-28) on 2-point field goals and 73.9% (34-46) from the floor!

In fact, this season they’re shooting 63% from inside the 3 point arc, comparable to only 2018 Villanova and the 2006-07 Florida teams, who all won the National Title. Its going to take more than a decent offensive performance to beat the Flyers this March.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

3sUp wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:25 pm Dayton is a team people need to watch come tournament time. They haven’t had too many games on ESPN this year, most tucked away in CBS Sports Network. But not only do they have the National Player of the Year front-runner Obi Toppin, who has insane dunking & passing ability along with efficiency. They are one of the best offensive teams in college basketball this year.

You can’t hide any bad defender on their offense. Kansas’ all-star big man gave up 6 3’s alone on them early in the year, when they gave Dayton one of their 2 losses in OT. All 5 starters can score on all 3 levels on the court and they have a 6th man in Ibi Watson that can as well. In their last game against Davidson, they shot 96.4% (27-28) on 2-point field goals and 73.9% (34-46) from the floor!

In fact, this season they’re shooting 63% from inside the 3 point arc, comparable to only 2018 Villanova and the 2006-07 Florida teams, who all won the National Title. Its going to take more than a decent offensive performance to beat the Flyers this March.
Am I mistaken, but wasn't Ibi Watson a teammate of Joe Burrow at Athens H.S. before transferring to Pickerington Central ? Then again I may be completely wrong on this ?

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Yea that's him vette. Surprised raider not been on here telling us all about him. :lol:
Just saw an interview they had with Toppin and he said he couldn't even dunk in high school. No wonder nobody was looking at him. :o

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

cbolt wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:36 pm Yea that's him vette. Surprised raider not been on here telling us all about him. :lol:
Just saw an interview they had with Toppin and he said he couldn't even dunk in high school. No wonder nobody was looking at him. :o

Tanner Holden from burg isn’t at Dayton is he ?? I forget where he went to play basketball

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I think I read somewhere he went to Wright State

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

cbolt wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:36 pm Yea that's him vette. Surprised raider not been on here telling us all about him. :lol:
Thanks, after I posted that, then I was afraid that I may have been wrong.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

As of now....from ESPN's Joe Lunardi...

Dayton is a 2 seed in the East bracket. Their opponent is....15 seed Wright St. ( with Tanner Holden)

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

BTW.... Tanner's older sis, Sydney, had back to back triple doubles for Rio Grande last week. There have 4 triple doubles in the history of Rio women's bb...

Sydney has 3 of them!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

cbolt wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:55 pm I think I read somewhere he went to Wright State
You are correct, he did go to Wright State and has had a very good year scoring and rebounding as well.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:51 pm BTW.... Tanner's older sis, Sydney, had back to back triple doubles for Rio Grande last week. There have 4 triple doubles in the history of Rio women's bb...
player player player player player
Sydney has 3 of them!!
I watched her play last year at Rio Grande as well as this year, she's a very good all around player, probably one of the best on the team.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Dayton is 2-2 vs power 5 conference foes....They will be an early exit come tourney time.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:49 pm
cbolt wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:55 pm I think I read somewhere he went to Wright State
You are correct, he did go to Wright State and has had a very good year scoring and rebounding as well.

That’s right. Thanks for setting me straight.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:58 pm
OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:51 pm BTW.... Tanner's older sis, Sydney, had back to back triple doubles for Rio Grande last week. There have 4 triple doubles in the history of Rio women's bb...
player player player player player
Sydney has 3 of them!!
I watched her play last year at Rio Grande as well as this year, she's a very good all around player, probably one of the best on the team.

That’s great !!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

hateraid wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:29 pm Dayton is 2-2 vs power 5 conference foes....They will be an early exit come tourney time.

Well maybe they can build a Cinderella run

Return to “College Sports”