Valenth's CFB Rankings for 12/1

Valenth
SEOP

Valenth's CFB Rankings for 12/1

Post by Valenth »

Well this has been a rather Surprising Week... Let's Break Down what I see for rankings...

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia

5. Utah
6. Oklahoma
7. Wisconsin

8. Alabama
9. Baylor
10. Florida

I feel that these rankings are as realistic as I think the committee would put them...

Thoughts....

1. Ohio State once again went into a hostile environment and took care of Business. I held back in saying it... But the Buckeyes proved it. But I will now say it.. Ohio State is clearly the most complete team in football right now.

2. An Iron Bowl with a very unexpected ending.. This game from start to finish was an exciting game. I mentioned in a previous post that the one thing Auburn needed to do was Slam the door on Alabama to knock them out of playoff contention. And after watching this game.. Both Auburn AND Alabama decided to close that door. So many mistakes and missed opportunities by the Crimson Tide sealed their fate... And Auburn took advantage of those mistakes...

3. Clemson... Yep

4. Oklahoma went to bedlam and got the job done. And Baylor destroyed Kansas... Now when Oklahoma and Baylor face Off.. I have One question though about if Baylor wins this game... Is their Resume Strong enough to push them into the top 4? Not exactly sure..

5. Utah is the PAC 12s only hope... After downing Colorado last night.. The Utes will face off against Oregon...

6. There could STILL be a Conference with 2 teams in the playoff... The SEC and B1G... If by some odd reason Oklahoma or Utah doesn't do well and if Baylor does win the BIG XII with a weak resume.. If Georgia Beats LSU or Wisconsin beat Ohio State... We could have Georgia and LSU and or possibly Ohio State and Wisconsin in the College Football playoff... It's a long shot but you never know.

Thoughts?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Valenth's CFB Rankings for 12/1

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think the only way a conference gets 2 teams in is if Georgia beats LSU in a close game AND Utah losses (giving them 2 losses) and OK and Baylor is a high scoring game with no defense.

A Georgia loss in any fashion gives them 2 losses and they are out.

They will take a 1 loss conference champ over a 2 loss team.

Utah losing will erase the PAC12. I think Oklahoma is the team that takes care of business and grabs that 4th spot as a one loss conference champion. They have looked very mediocre at times and I would love to see OSU play them in the first round of the playoffs. I think OSUs running game would control that game.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Oklahoma has ZERO Defense. I think the Committee would put Oklahoma in over Utah when push comes to shove. If both Oklahoma and Utah both win. But it will be interesting to see how big each team wins...

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

absolutely, I don't know how many years in a row I have said this now. but the boomer sooners are always ranked initially in the top 4. but there is no way Oklahoma could stand up to an onslaught of offense that an ohio state or lsu can bring. and that's a fact. if Wisconsin was paying any attention at all. they'll double team chase young , and throw a ton of slant passes, but does a run heavy team like Wisconsin have the game to attack the buckeyes in that manner. because the buckeyes eat and get full, then go back for a 2nd helping then they pick their teeth with running heavy teams. I don't see the badgers being able to attack the buckeyes in a manner that can give the silver bullets a fit. and if Wisconsin can't get ohio state off the field after 3rd down, there is a good change they could be warming up the badger buses at halftime. and the bucks love playing in indy. and no weather conditions to cope with at all. the ''oil drum'' provides perfect weather every game. and after teams like wisky and ohio state play out in the Midwest elements all year. then a team that is superior then they become much better indoors.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

I agree for the most part. If I was a member of the committee I would rank them thusly...

1 OSU
2 LSU
3 Clemson
4 Georgia

5 Utah
6 Oklahoma
7 Wisconsin

8 Baylor
9 Florida
10 Alabama

1) Big 10...Buckeyes. Whisky will give them a good game but, like Xichigan, they will wear down.

2) SEC...This is the year of the Bayou Bengals. They have vanquished their regular seson opponents. The offense is the best in team history. Joe is the odds on favorite to hoist Heisman (Billy Cannon was the only other Tiger). Georgia has a good front 7....will be a very good game...I hope

3) ACC...Clemson....and that's all folks

4) Big 12..OU v Baylor...part deux...Sooners should win rematch but...there's something about them Bears

5) PAC 12...Utah v Oregon...computer models say Oregon but, my eye test says Utes win. I've liked them since early in the season...they DO play some defense. They have a darn good coach as well.

6) Others...in order...Memphis..Boise St....Cincy

My CFP 4...

1 OSU
2 LSU
3 Clemson
4 Utah

These are just my honest opinions. We shall see, won't we??

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Before I forget...

Fields...Dobbins...Young...these guys have a chance to do something only accomplished once before

The year...1973....Heisman Trophy voting

#2 John Hicks...OL...OSU
#5 Archie Griffin...RB...OSU
#5 Randy Gradishar...LB...OSU

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I guess this is the question;

What is a better win? Utah over Oregon or Oklahoma over Baylor?

I guess THE WAY they win would also be considered.

The committee favors the bigger brand. Oklahoma is the bigger brand in comparison to Utah.

Bama is OUT. Did I mention how happy that makes me?

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:37 pm I guess this is the question;

What is a better win? Utah over Oregon or Oklahoma over Baylor?

I guess THE WAY they win would also be considered.

The committee favors the bigger brand. Oklahoma is the bigger brand in comparison to Utah.

Bama is OUT. Did I mention how happy that makes me?

If you look at it as a quality win I would say Utah beating Oregon simply because Oregon's out of conference schedule was vastly stronger than Baylor's. And if Oklahoma beats Baylor twice.. I am not as impressed as a win over Oregon Despite rankings.

Oregon's Out of conference Schedule

Auburn lost 27-21
Nevada won77-6
Montana won 35-3

Oregon's close calls were Washington and Washington State

Other loss AT Arizona State.

Baylor's Out of Conference Schedule

Stephen F Austin won 56-7
UTSA won 63-14
Rice won 21-13

Baylor's close calls with WVU, Texas Tech, Iowa State and TCU

Baylor's Schedule strength is pretty weak..

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Not sure why everyone is falling in love with Utah. They have 0 wins over ranked opponents. Oklahoma has 2. Oklahoma is consistently ranked 8-15 spots higher in SOS. UTah actually is more comparable to Baylor with their O and D rankings. Baylor does have 2 wins vs ranked teams.
🤷🏻‍♂️

OSU rolls in Big14 championship.
Clemson rolls in the A She She
LSU definitely facing the toughest opponent of the top 3. Georgia must win to get in. I can see LSU sneaking in at 4 if they lose a close game.
JMO but I think if the Sooners win Big XII they jump Utah and Georgia to grab that 4th spot. If Baylor pulls the upset They jump to number 5 and Utah slides into 4 spot.
Utah/Oregon should be a good one.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

With Utah getting drilled it looks like that 4th spot comes down to OK or Baylor.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Pac12 should never have been considered but just like Minny, Whisky and Penn State the talking heads had to make it look good this year for Top 10 purposes for perceived bias. As usual the B10 gets to play 2 Pac12 teams in the other bowl games that don't matter. I'm so glad Utah is out because they had played no one decent except USC and that's a borderline team. The committee is useless and Herby & Chris acted perplexed all night long. Really ? It's all just for show.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 pm Pac12 should never have been considered but just like Minny, Whisky and Penn State the talking heads had to make it look good this year for Top 10 purposes for perceived bias. As usual the B10 gets to play 2 Pac12 teams in the other bowl games that don't matter. I'm so glad Utah is out because they had played no one decent except USC and that's a borderline team. The committee is useless and Herby & Chris acted perplexed all night long. Really ? It's all just for show.
Agree with most of your post

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:37 pm With Utah getting drilled it looks like that 4th spot comes down to OK or Baylor.
You are probably right as long as LSU wins.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:06 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:37 pm With Utah getting drilled it looks like that 4th spot comes down to OK or Baylor.
You are probably right as long as LSU wins.
Kirby Smart has found a way to lose in the SEC Championship games and conference games with much better talent than this year's team.
Fromm is NOT good. Not close to where he was last year.

Thank goodness Kirby didn't throw Justin Fields into the mix last year or OSU wouldn't have him.

Kirby doesnt seem so smart when you think about it.

Return to “College Sports”