A discussion point of The College Football Rankings we are NOT looking at...

Valenth
SEOP

A discussion point of The College Football Rankings we are NOT looking at...

Post by Valenth »

Something stood out to me.. And there is ONE team.... That right now... Can play a HUGE Factor into the future of the final 4 teams in.

That team is Auburn... Here is why...

They defeated Oregon 27-21
They lost to Florida 24-13
They BARELY lost AT LSU 23-20
They STILL have Georgia and Alabama at HOME..

This one team has all of these Head to heads and can throw this whole scenario out of whack and... IF they Beat both Georgia AND Alabama... There's going to be utter and total chaos in the rankings.. I think we can agree on that.

Thoughts?

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: A discussion point of The College Football Rankings we are NOT looking at...

Post by Omega »

Valenth wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:15 pm Something stood out to me.. And there is ONE team.... That right now... Can play a HUGE Factor into the future of the final 4 teams in.

This one team has all of these Head to heads and can throw this whole scenario out of whack and... IF they Beat both Georgia AND Alabama... There's going to be utter and total chaos in the rankings.. I think we can agree on that.

Thoughts?
The strongest likelihood is that Clemson will be undefeated and one of the four playoff teams.

The next strongest likelihood is LSU even if they lose the SEC CCG.

Auburn could deny Bama and/or Georgia which could open the door for Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma or Baylor. If Auburn wins out and Georgia beats LSU in the SEC CCG, the War Eagle would have a strong case for the CFP even with two losses.

Ohio State is having a magical season but an ill timed loss to Penn State could see the Bucks sitting at home while giving the Nittany Lions or Goldie a shot at the CFP.

Let chaos reign, as it is good for college football.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Re: A discussion point of The College Football Rankings we are NOT looking at...

Post by Valenth »

Think of this Scenario... What if Georgia Beats Auburn and then Alabama falls to Auburn.. Then in the SEC Championship Georgia loses to LSU... Would the SEC still have Two Teams? I don't see a 2 loss SEC team in on this scenario.

But the only way I think we guarantee only 1 SEC team in is that we have Clemson and Ohio State win out... and whoever comes from the PAC12 with 1 loss... Oregon needs to be that team more because their sole loss is to Auburn.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Valenth wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 pm Think of this Scenario... What if Georgia Beats Auburn and then Alabama falls to Auburn.. Then in the SEC Championship Georgia loses to LSU... Would the SEC still have Two Teams? I don't see a 2 loss SEC team in on this scenario.

But the only way I think we guarantee only 1 SEC team in is that we have Clemson and Ohio State win out... and whoever comes from the PAC12 with 1 loss... Oregon needs to be that team more because their sole loss is to Auburn.
It very well could cause Chaos, Especially with the Media and the experts looking for any reason at all, to push there agenda for having 2 SEC teams in the Playoffs. To me, Auburn does have a pretty good defense and can hang with probably most of the top SEC teams, unless they improve a whole lot on offense, they have yet to show me they can score enough to be able to beat those top teams. We haven't seen anything yet, if the talking heads and a big part of the Media could have there way, they would have 3 SEC teams in the Playoffs. I really don't think that is going to happen, but "God Forbid" if somehow Alabama does not make the playoffs, if we think that Saban has been "Salty" before, we haven't seen anything.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Valenth wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:15 pm Something stood out to me.. And there is ONE team.... That right now... Can play a HUGE Factor into the future of the final 4 teams in.

Thoughts?
All the above could happen in the SEC and that's exactly what makes it the best top heavy conference yearly in both divisions. You never really know week to week who will win these Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU matchup games as they're usually close and/or very competitive knock down drag out physical games with each other and not walks in the park like other conferences have in a lot of their rivalry games in the last 20 years.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

If they win one of the two...it opens things up. They win both.....

LSU...OSU...Clemson..then either Oregon, Oklahoma, Baylor or Utah would be the foursome.

As I said on another thread...bowl season has started!!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Beast of a schedule

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

If the SEC continues to place 2 teams in the 4 team playoff year in and out, that will usher in the 8 team playoff quicker.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Auburn's passing game is so poor that I dont see them pulling off any upsets. Nix is one of the worst throwing QB's in the power 5

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Bleeding Red wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:17 am Auburn's passing game is so poor that I dont see them pulling off any upsets. Nix is one of the worst throwing QB's in the power 5
I mostly agree except strange things happen on the plains of Alabama. What happens if the defense gets early turnovers against Georgia? What happens if Tua can't go? I'd give it a 40% chance for one upset to happen but that's pretty high.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree that Nix is not very good right now, but lets not forget he is a true freshman and 5 star dual threat coming out of high school, so things might click for him yet and teams will be in trouble. Then again some athletes never make the adjustment from high school to college. With their defense if he starts seeing the field better Auburn will be very dangerous. Problem is Georgia's defense is even better but I am taking Auburn in the upset because ol Gus might have something up his sleeve.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

They have the best defense in the country

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Auburn Georgia looks like a prime candidate for a 6-3 score at the end of regulation. Two of the best defenses in the nation both with subpar offenses

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I see the SEC envy is still alive and well.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Not sure I would call it envy

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Here's another one...

Texas A&M is at Georgia this Saturday and at LSU next week. The Aggies are not a pushover. That being said, I'm not smelling an upset either week but....that's why they play the games.

What do you guys think?

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:17 pm Here's another one...

Texas A&M is at Georgia this Saturday and at LSU next week. The Aggies are not a pushover. That being said, I'm not smelling an upset either week but....that's why they play the games.

What do you guys think?
I'm not saying this is what I want to see happen, but if I was going to bet on the outcome, I would say 2 more losses for Texas A@M.

Return to “College Sports”