Conference Change Upgrade Opportunity For Marshall ?

Omega
SEOPS H

Conference Change Upgrade Opportunity For Marshall ?

Post by Omega »

Apparently the University of Connecticut is leaving the American Conference to rejoin the Big East. This makes sense for UConn to regain their historic regional basketball rivalries and a chance to downgrade their woeful football program.

If this does come about, will this present an opportunity for Marshall to try and move up to the AAC? Would such a move even make sense for Marshall? Would the AAC even consider Marshall as a member given their small media market? For the AAC, the CUSA schools like Florida Atlantic or Florida International, would give members UCF and USF a natural rival and a bigger share of the huge Florida market.

The ultimate question is if UConn does move, does this trigger another wave of conference realignment?

http://www.digitalsportsdesk.com/ncaa-b ... -big-east/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
purpleblood1
JV Team

Re: Conference Change Upgrade Opportunity For Marshall ?

Post by purpleblood1 »

I don't see Marshall being the choice for the AAF. I know at lot of Marshall faithful would like to see it happen. Some names being thrown around are BYU, Boise State, and Army. but I think the team that will get the nod will be Liberty.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Conference Change Upgrade Opportunity For Marshall ?

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If any team is added, it would be one that would add money to future media contracts. This would be a very limited number of schools (because obviously no one is leaving the Power 5 to join the AAC). Marshall would subtract available revenues rather than add revenues to the AAC, so I don't see them as a viable choice.

The AAC is now even more like the original Conference USA with UConn leaving.

AAC = Conference USA 2.0
Conference USA = Sun Belt 2.0

Return to “College Sports”