OSU QB MATTHEW BALDWIN ENTERS NCAA TRANSFER PORTAL

Omega
SEOPS H

OSU QB MATTHEW BALDWIN ENTERS NCAA TRANSFER PORTAL

Post by Omega »

Well OSU now has a quarterback depth problem as RS Freshman Matthew Baldwin has entered the NCAA transfer portal. This leaves third string QB Chris Chugunov as the only other signal caller on scholarship. The transfer portal giveth and taketh. Free agency in terms of playing time.

The Buckeyes should do well with Justin Fields at QB but are now only one injury away from being average.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... per-report

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tartanblue
SEO

Re: OSU QB MATTHEW BALDWIN ENTERS NCAA TRANSFER PORTAL

Post by Tartanblue »

Not a fan of this, if it had something to do with family I would understand but it's not. This whole transfer because you didn't win the job is killing college football.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I am not a fan. Baldwin just jumped in the same category as Tater Tot in my eyes. Cowards.

Good riddance.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 am I am not a fan. Baldwin just jumped in the same category as Tater Tot in my eyes. Cowards.

Good riddance.
It is what it is but I have to give Baldwin the benefit of the doubt as I lack personal knowledge of the situation. The overriding issue though is free agency in college football and what it will lead to. I can see both sides. Coaches can leave, why not players? Yet the curmudgeon in me values loyalty and the traditional way of doing things. It just seems the NCAA is trying to get ahead of lawsuits you know will be coming seeking total free agency, college pay for play beyond scholarships, and no limits on eligibility for pro sports drafts. In this day and age an individual's personal and economic rights prevails over tradition.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

The bottom line is, Ohio State is in SERIOUS trouble, if Fields isn't all he is chalked up to be.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Kinda saw this coming then Fields transfer was ok'ed. Who does o$u have to fill Baldwins spot?

AT THE RESERVATION
9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

I agree OSU could be in trouble at the QB position. Fields wasn't that impressive in the spring game. The one big completion he had was under thrown and would have been picked off or batted away by a better DB. Couple that with the fact that Day is more of a pro style QB coach. Fields is not that kind of QB. He would have been perfect under Meyer. Probably one reason Haskins excelled under Day. One thing in their favor is the schedule. Is is really soft this year and they got plenty of time to work out the bugs before they see any big boys. I am not in favor of all this transferring around but we better get used to it because it is here to stay. :(

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

The Fields being the starting QB has been media driven ever since he was first mentioned to be going to OSU. Not a fan of the movement of QB's. As they get beat out. Seems to many think they can and some do just walks in and starts. Fields did not do well in the Spring game but some of the media wrote stories likhe played so well. As the job was his but take away the long pass he did hardly anything. Hope Fields doesn't get an attitude if his play does not go as well as the hype. As he has already left Georgia. If he does play well he will be on his way out of OSU to the NFL.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Omega wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 am I am not a fan. Baldwin just jumped in the same category as Tater Tot in my eyes. Cowards.

Good riddance.
It is what it is but I have to give Baldwin the benefit of the doubt as I lack personal knowledge of the situation. The overriding issue though is free agency in college football and what it will lead to. I can see both sides. Coaches can leave, why not players? Yet the curmudgeon in me values loyalty and the traditional way of doing things. It just seems the NCAA is trying to get ahead of lawsuits you know will be coming seeking total free agency, college pay for play beyond scholarships, and no limits on eligibility for pro sports drafts. In this day and age an individual's personal and economic rights prevails over tradition.
I agree omega. but I hain't got no idea what a curmudgeon is just to be fair. someone said it best it giveth and taketh away. we need another from somewheres

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I wish the young man luck though wherever he lands.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

it's an old grouchy person that set in his ways ytb. i dont picture omega being that way for some reason :lol:

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:07 pm it's an old grouchy person that set in his ways ytb. i dont picture omega being that way for some reason :lol:
Hey, I am a card carrying charter member of the curmudgeon club. I have been set in my ways and mental outlook for 50 years much to my own detriment. My curmudgery manifests itself with an often negative outlook on things. I root for Ohio State but never set my expectations high so as not to be dissapointed. The Buckeyes will survive the rash of QB transfers and Fields will have a solid year. Yet as a new head coach, Day does not need distractions to deal with. 😟

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Fields will be fine. He just got on campus like 2 months ago. Relax lol.

I agree the backup position is a big void. Thus, Baldwin is a punk and a liar. He plainly said that he was "ready to compete for the position" just weeks ago (well after Day took over as HC). Now he is ready to jump on the next flight out of Columbus. Hogwash. He is a quitter and quit on his team.
I can understand the player transfer portal for serious issues (family emergencies, illegal acts against the player, etc) but not for this.

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 am Fields will be fine. He just got on campus like 2 months ago. Relax lol.

I agree the backup position is a big void. Thus, Baldwin is a punk and a liar. He plainly said that he was "ready to compete for the position" just weeks ago (well after Day took over as HC). Now he is ready to jump on the next flight out of Columbus. Hogwash. He is a quitter and quit on his team.
I can understand the player transfer portal for serious issues (family emergencies, illegal acts against the player, etc) but not for this.
The All-Knowing ohio HOMER behind the curtain has spoke :roll: :D :D ....WAH.....WAH :D :D ....The LEADER of the "Ohio Board" and the Private Message King....Calls Mathew Baldwin a punk..a Quitter...And a liar....What a man....

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

The Inspector wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:12 pm
9.5 INCHES wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:51 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: ...The HOMER leader of this Ohio site...the esteemed Mighty Minford Falcon Redboy
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I am not sure I would want to call Baldwin a "punk and a liar" for trying to do what is best for him.

He is transferring. Just like Fields did. I do not see any differences.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The Inspector wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:20 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 am Fields will be fine. He just got on campus like 2 months ago. Relax lol.

The All-Knowing ohio HOMER behind the curtain has spoke :roll: :D :D ....WAH.....WAH :D :D ....The LEADER of the "Ohio Board" and the Private Message King....Calls Mathew Baldwin a punk..a Quitter...And a liar....What a man....
Welcome back from being banned! How was your vacation???

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:04 am I am not sure I would want to call Baldwin a "punk and a liar" for trying to do what is best for him.

You do what you want, the circumstances were totally different in both cases.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:04 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:04 am I am not sure I would want to call Baldwin a "punk and a liar" for trying to do what is best for him.

You do what you want, the circumstances were totally different in both cases.
What do you know about the Baldwin situation that no one else knows? Unless you have insider knowledge of the Baldwin's family situation, then you have no clue if the "circumstances were totally different". Baldwin left showing nothing but class and love for Ohio State. The kid thinks he can play somewhere else. Was Burrow a "punk and a liar"?

Return to “College Sports”