My take on college football after week 3

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

My take on college football after week 3

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Here are some thoughts on the college football landscape after week 3:

The ACC and Big 12 are the best two conferences in the Power 5, and I firmly believe that. In the Big 12, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have been untouchable to this point in the year. TCU looks like the real deal again, after a few average years. Kansas State is a good team when they follow their game plan, although they lost to a much improved Vanderbilt team this week. Texas Tech and West Virginia are both solid teams in the middle of the conference as well.

The ACC with Clemson, the Tigers are obviously a top 4 team in the country right now after putting the beat down on Louisville at Papa Johns Stadium yesterday. But, Louisville still has the reigning Heisman Trophy winner and is still a solid team. Florida State and Miami have both had a couple weeks in a row off because of the hurricanes, but they are still clearly both top 25 teams.

The Big Ten has 4 teams in the top 10 in the nation, and none in the rest of the rankings. But they do have some other solid teams, Maryland, Indiana and Purdue are all much improved teams. Iowa and MSU are hanging in the middle of the pack. And then there are of course a couple of bottom feeders, I would say this is the third best Power 5 conference.

I would put the PAC 12 in 4th. Many people thought, including me, at the beginning of the season this was the best conference, but it's turning out not to be that way. USC has won some games, but they really haven't looked all that great in the games. Washington started the season slow, but looking good now. Stanford is starting to show their true colors, they are not a top 25 team. Washington State, I believe is a top 25 team, but they don't look like they have the ability to be in the top 10. And we though UCLA was really good, but turns out they aren't after they lost to Memphis, they have no problems on offense, but their defense is atrocious.

In my opinion, the SEC is the worst Power 5 conference. Alabama is clearly the best team in the country right now, after that, it's a big mystery. I like Georgia, I think they are a pretty solid team. Auburn is not a top 25 team almost losing to Mercer this week. LSU getting blown out by Mississippi State, who I believe is a top 25 team. Tennessee and Florida faced off this week and both looked like poor teams. I would honestly say there might be 3 SEC teams that belong in the top 25. Kentucky is much improved this year though, as well as Vanderbilt.

South Florida is looking like the real deal, they have an explosive offense. Notre Dame is better than they've been in a few years, but still not quite there yet.

The great thing about college football, is that this could be completely different by next week!

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: My take on college football after week 3

Post by Omega »

After week three, there are only five teams that would be considered elite in terms of chances to make the CFP: Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, and the latter two play each other. The remaining ranked teams are merely good teams with issues, including the Buckeyes. Alabama versus Penn State and Clemson versus one of the Oklahoma teams would be great matchups in the playoffs.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: My take on college football after week 3

Post by Chieftain2009 »

And I think that's what they playoff would and should be.

Return to “College Sports”