SEC Is Heavily Overrated

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

SEC Is Heavily Overrated

Post by Bleeding Red »

Seriously......8 conference games on their schedules. They play FCS teams.

Georgia- played 3 good teams this year. LSU, Bama and Texas. LSU blew them out, Texas blew them out and they had a meltdown to let Bama come back and beat them.

Bama- Played 2 good teams all year and went 1-1 that included a complete and utter blowout vs Clemson. We knew that Oklahoma had zero defense all season and that is what showed up vs Bama. Given a 5th quarter or not such a poor start and OK probably beats Bama too.

I am not saying that the SEC is not a good conference but their 6-6 bowl record as well as how the top 2 teams in the conference played against good competition doesnt match up to the hype that ESPN and other sports platforms have given them all year. Just like last year.

It is becoming a trend for media to see a big falloff in viewing and advertising dollars when they start promoting their own agenda instead of just reporting the news or sports in an unbiased way. If you remember, ESPN had massive layoffs last year and were not financially sound. I find it a direct comparison that they shove the SEC down people's throats due to their own financial connection with the SEC conference (The SEC Network and the football tv contract) to the point that people dont watch their junk anymore.

I for one was glad to see the SEC get humiliated in the way Georgia and Bama played. It is well deserved after all the hype.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: SEC Is Heavily Overrated

Post by 1987chieftains »

I agree 100% Red! The $ec has shown it was massively overrated again this year.

AT THE RESERVATION
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Some of the ego of players thinking they are better than everyone else even after last nights game.

Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams said after his team’s 44-16 loss in the National Championship Game that the Clemson offense was “very easy” to defend. He said the Tide faced far better offenses before the title game.

“They weren’t hard at all,” Williams said in a postgame interview showed on ESPN. “They were very easy. They capitalized on a lot of mental errors. We made a lot of mental errors. They didn’t come out and do nothing special. We played greater offense than that – Oklahoma offense or Georgia offense. We just made a lot of mental errors and they capitalized. That’s what good teams do – they capitalize on mental errors.”

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Without question the SEC did not live up to its ESPN generated hype as the bowl and playoff season concluded. Still I think in terms of top to bottom depth, the SEC retains an edge over the other Power Five conferences. Parity is the best descriptor for the state of college football in 2018 except Clemson, and I am not even sure if they could repeat their performance against Bama.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Omega wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:23 pm Without question the SEC did not live up to its ESPN generated hype as the bowl and playoff season concluded. Still I think in terms of top to bottom depth, the SEC retains an edge over the other Power Five conferences. Parity is the best descriptor for the state of college football in 2018 except Clemson, and I am not even sure if they could repeat their performance against Bama.
Top to bottom, no question.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The best bowl records were 1.) B12 2.) B1G 3.) SEC

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Wait till Jimbo gets his sea legs under him at Texas A&M (and he will with recruiting) then there will be 2 WV born coaches ruling the SEC and when you throw in LSU, Auburn, Georgia and Florida every few years at least contending for titles, It's the best conference.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 pm Wait till Jimbo gets his sea legs under him at Texas A&M (and he will with recruiting) then there will be 2 WV born coaches ruling the SEC and when you throw in LSU, Auburn, Georgia and Florida every few years at least contending for titles, It's the best conference.
I saw how Jimbo turned into Dumbo at FSU. I'll pass.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 pm Wait till Jimbo gets his sea legs under him at Texas A&M (and he will with recruiting) then there will be 2 WV born coaches ruling the SEC and when you throw in LSU, Auburn, Georgia and Florida every few years at least contending for titles, It's the best conference.
I saw how Jimbo turned into Dumbo at FSU. I'll pass.
Stay tuned !!!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Sure Jimbo might have a couple of good years but lets be realistic. Texas A&M is FAR from the brand that FSU is in terms of marketing, program and most importantly recruiting.

Did you ever stop and think why FSU went in the toilet so quickly under Jimbo's final year and the following year?

Dont get me wrong, Jimbo will probably put an immediate bump into their performance but its like a mid tier program in any other conference getting a big name coach. It will be hard for them to truly compete for conference championships every year.

What Bama has done in the SEC over the past 10 years is nothing short of amazing. Granted, I feel as though they are sorely over rated at times (this year included which I have said ALL ALONG if you read my former posts....not some last minute poll prediction that everyone already knew like you). But to still win the conference that many times against good to very good teams in LSU, Auburn, Georgia, etc is wild.

Jimbo is recruiting directly against Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and many other branded schools in the mid-south/midwest. Good recruiting class this year but lets see how they actually perform next year under his and his assistants before we start saying he will make them a conference contender.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

aTm is a sleeping football giant simply because of available financial resources. They have the biggest overall athletic budget of any college and a huge endowment.

aTm is in a huge but highly competitive recruiting area that is growing rapidly. While I do not think Jimbo is the right guy to lead the Aggies to glory, aTm likely has the biggest potential upside of any major college football program not named Alabama or Clemson.

https://www.businessinsider.com/schools ... million-25

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “College Sports”