Schiano Apparently Out At Ohio State

Omega
SEOPS H

Schiano Apparently Out At Ohio State

Post by Omega »

Greg Schiano apparently has been fired as co-coordinator of the Ohio State Defense.

Gregg Mattison has been hired from Michigan to replace Schiano. Mattison has 40 plus years of coaching experience, apparently having coached against Woody Hayes. Mattison will obviously bring some old school discipline to the Buckeye defense.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... ichigan-to

Ohio State also hired Jeff Hafley from the 49'ers to replace Alex Grinch who went to Oklahoma.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... oordinator

Apparently current LB coach Bill Davis is also on the chopping block.

Ryan Day has moved swiftly to address obvious coaching change needs on the defense, which was Ohio State's Achilles heel the past season.
Last edited by Omega on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Re: Schiano Apparently Out At Ohio State

Post by OHHS old timer »

Good riddance Schiano!!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The Buckeyes also added a coach to the offense last week.

Hiring Oklahoma State OC, Mike Yurcich. He was named Ohio State's Passing Game Coordinator/QB Coach.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Who's going to be the D coordinator

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

mattash wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:17 pm Who's going to be the D coordinator
Co-Coordinators. Jeff Hafley and Greg Mattison.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 pm Good riddance Schiano!!!
I don't know if this is good or bad? Greg Mattison is 69 years old and Ohio State just put up 62 on his Michigan defense a little over a month ago and Florida beat them up pretty good also in the Bowl game and you want him to take over the defense ? Big Ten is buddy buddy, that's how Urban got Schiano in the first place even though he never really proved his worth anywhere before. They need to get some young blood for coordinators.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I really like the Yurcich hire on the offensive side, but I'm not sure about these defensive coaches they just hired. Time will tell.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:28 pm I really like the Yurcich hire on the offensive side, but I'm not sure about these defensive coaches they just hired. Time will tell.
Agree

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:34 pm
OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 pm Good riddance Schiano!!!
I don't know if this is good or bad? Greg Mattison is 69 years old and Ohio State just put up 62 on his Michigan defense a little over a month ago and Florida beat them up pretty good also in the Bowl game and you want him to take over the defense ? Big Ten is buddy buddy, that's how Urban got Schiano in the first place even though he never really proved his worth anywhere before. They need to get some young blood for coordinators.
Greg Mattison wasn’t the DC at Michigan; he was D-line coach. Don Brown was/is DC at Michigan.

I can live with these hires. Jeff Hafley is much younger and already has a decade of experience coaching NFL secondaries. He has an idea of the complexities that exist in evolved college football offenses that are RPO (run-pass option), 3-4 WR sets etc.

Bill Davis was mediocre at LB coach.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Bill Davis was awful in Cbus. Schiano's defense was awful as a whole this year giving up 400 yards per game.

I would like to see Marcus Freeman or Lauranitis come back to Cbus as the LB coach or defensive coach in some capacity. Not sure if Little Animal has a very strong relationship with Ryan Day but as much as I enjoy him on the B1G Network, I would much rather see him back on the field in a coaching role at tOSU.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I think that's a great idea red. me too. I'm a bit aloof over the mattison hire myself. some great defensive coaches could be katzenmoyer, lauranitis, aj hawk.bobby carpenter from Lancaster high school. I'd love to see chris speilman is who I'd love to see on the defensive side.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:20 pm
I understand the rewarding of "titles" to lure candidates and justify salary. However I feel that if you have two head guys, you have none. Having two bosses muddies the chain of command and diffuses responsibility. Reference Schiano and Grinch in 2018.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

And the meltdown in Ann Arbor starts in 3.....2.......1.......

tOSU just snagged another coach from their defensive staff in defensive coach in Al Washington (ttun's LB coach).

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Yea but it's not much fun bragging about ttun imploding. Been a slow motion crash for a while now. I want to take down Bama and Clemson

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Omega wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 am
Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:20 pm
I understand the rewarding of "titles" to lure candidates and justify salary. However I feel that if you have two head guys, you have none. Having two bosses muddies the chain of command and diffuses responsibility. Reference Schiano and Grinch in 2018.
Day & Wilson seemed to work fine as Co-OC's? It's more about having matching philosophies, which as you could tell in Grinch's statement, he and Schiano did not have.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:11 am Bill Davis was awful in Cbus. Schiano's defense was awful as a whole this year giving up 400 yards per game.

I would like to see Marcus Freeman or Lauranitis come back to Cbus as the LB coach or defensive coach in some capacity. Not sure if Little Animal has a very strong relationship with Ryan Day but as much as I enjoy him on the B1G Network, I would much rather see him back on the field in a coaching role at tOSU.
I like Freeman, but he isn't leaving a DC job to be an LB coach. Another good season in Cincy, and he and Fickell may be off to a bigger gig.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

se-alum wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:11 am Bill Davis was awful in Cbus. Schiano's defense was awful as a whole this year giving up 400 yards per game.

I like Freeman, but he isn't leaving a DC job to be an LB coach. Another good season in Cincy, and he and Fickell may be off to a bigger gig.
Very likely.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The final shoe has dropped in Ryan Days assistant coach house cleaning. Taver Johnson out and Matt Barnes in as a defensive backfield coach:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... dary-coach

Return to “College Sports”