19 Northwestern 7-4
20 Syracuse 8-3
21 Utah State 10-1
22 Texas A&M 7-4
23 Boise State 9-2
24 Pittsburgh 7-4
25 Iowa State 6-4

Not much of a Surprise...

However now we see UCF leap over Ohio State... What this reveals is a huge resume booster for UCF and perhaps the committee not only saw them take down a pretty decent Cincinnati team ranked in the Top 25 .. But if you look closer.. UCF has a very big win over ACC Coastal Champion Pittsburgh earlier in the year convincingly 45-14. If Houston can pop back into the rankings by the time the AAC conference championship occurs.. They might have ANOTHER top 25 win.. If they down Houston.. So there's a small chance there.

But we will see how the committee handles Ohio State vs Michigan on Saturday.. If Ohio State can pull the victory out..

But I still don't see why LSU is being held up there... Wazzou had a much more impressive win over Arizona than LSU thumping a 1-11 Rice squad.

Thoughts...

Valenth
SEOP

Re: CFB Committee Rankings for Nov. 20th

Post by Valenth »

Here's even more Crazy food for thought... Pittsburgh vs Clemson and Pittsburgh shocks Clemson and UCF wins out... That would mean UCF would have handily beaten the ACC Champion... I think that would catapult UCF into the Playoff 4.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Valenth wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:00 pm Here's even more Crazy food for thought... Pittsburgh vs Clemson and Pittsburgh shocks Clemson and UCF wins out... That would mean UCF would have handily beaten the ACC Champion... I think that would catapult UCF into the Playoff 4.
UCF is not Roll Tide or Clemson, but I think no one else in the college football world would want a piece of Knights. You can argue strength of schedule, but winning has a certain amount of quality all of its own.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It's clear by winning out the top 4 remain where they are.

BUT THIS SCENARIO IS VERY POSSIBLE:
Washington beats #8 Washington State - eliminated 2 losses
Texas A&M beats #7 LSU - eliminated with 3 losses
W Va. beats #6 Oklahoma - both eliminated with 2 losses
Alabama will beat #5 Georgia December 1st - eliminated with 2 losses
Ohio State beats #4 Michigan and #19 Northwestern in the Conference Championship

#4 slot goes to Undefeated UCF with no real resume or OSU with wins over 4th ranked team, 12th ranked team & 19th ranked team - but with a terrible loss at Purdue?

Lets say 8, 7, 6 & 5 go down like stated above and then whoever wins between OSU/Michigan loses to Northwestern.
BIG TEN IS OUT but do you put UCF in or a 2 loss Georgia??

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

2 loss teams, as per committee history are not permitted.

Therefore they will definitely take a 2 loss mediocre Georgia team lol.

Whatever it takes to get as many teams from an overrated conference in is what they stand for.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 pm 2 loss teams, as per committee history are not permitted.

Whatever it takes to get as many teams from an overrated conference in is what they stand for.
The only reason for LSU being at 7.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

smurray wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:53 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 pm 2 loss teams, as per committee history are not permitted.

The only reason for LSU being at 7.
Exactly

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I compared LSU and Ohio State's 2018 schedule and here is why I think the committee has LSU higher right now.

OSU has beaten 3 ranked teams (when the game was played) this year: 15 TCU, 9 Penn St and 18 Michigan St. They play 4 Michigan on Saturday. Their loss was to an unranked Purdue team and went into OT with Maryland.

LSU has beaten 4 ranked teams (when the game was played) this year: 8 Miami, 7 Auburn, 22 Florida, 22 Miss. St. They play 22 Texas A&M Saturday. Their 2 losses have come at the hands of 2 Georiga and 1 Alabama.

That is the only rationale I can come up with because I dont think any of us can fully understand what the committee considers. Its more of a circus. If Washington St. beats Washington on Saturday, more fuel to the fire will be thrown but their overall schedule is bad.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

alabama mike wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:52 am I compared LSU and Ohio State's 2018 schedule and here is why I think the committee has LSU higher right now.

OSU has beaten 3 ranked teams (when the game was played) this year: 15 TCU, 9 Penn St and 18 Michigan St. They play 4 Michigan on Saturday. Their loss was to an unranked Purdue team and went into OT with Maryland.

LSU has beaten 4 ranked teams (when the game was played) this year: 8 Miami, 7 Auburn, 22 Florida, 22 Miss. St. They play 22 Texas A&M Saturday. Their 2 losses have come at the hands of 2 Georiga and 1 Alabama.

That is the only rationale I can come up with because I dont think any of us can fully understand what the committee considers. Its more of a circus. If Washington St. beats Washington on Saturday, more fuel to the fire will be thrown but their overall schedule is bad.
ohio has beat 2 teams with a winning record.What does that tell you?...

LSU has beat 5 teams with a winning record.

The teams ohio have BEAT are 46-64 combined.

The teams LSU have beat are 49-51 combined.

ohio got poop-hosed by Purdy and barely escaped several others.

LSU got Beat by THE TIDE and The Gators in THE SWAMP..BIGGGG difference and you know that Mike...

LSU beat Georgia pretty good earlier....A team who is NOW,In reality,at least the 4th best team in America and actually much higher IMO

ohio beat psu who is a mess and gagged out a 2-td lead late

ohio gives up 6Yards Per Play......LSU gives up less than 5 Yards Per Play...Against MUCH better talent and competition!...And again you know that

LSU has given up nearly 100 less points than ohio...And again against MUCH better competition and talent...

ohio averages nearly 1 more Yard Per Play than LSU....But again against lesser outfits Overall by far and of course ohio has run close to 15 more plays a game than LSU on offense

If you gamble you understand this stuff. And the eye test..The competition....The resume......All these things....LSU would HAMMER ohio...Now....9 weeks ago.....4 weeks ago...WOULD NOT MATTER.....Their Defense would swallow whole what ohio does on Offense

And these are just some of the reasons why LSU is ranked higher. ohio is only 10 th because of of their record. Against?????....Not performance...

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

The General wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:43 pm
alabama mike wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:52 am I compared LSU and Ohio State's 2018 schedule and here is why I think the committee has LSU higher right now.

ohio has beat 2 teams with a winning record.What does that tell you?...

LSU has beat 5 teams with a winning record.

The teams ohio have BEAT are 46-64 combined.

The teams LSU have beat are 49-51 combined.

ohio got poop-hosed by Purdy and barely escaped several others.

LSU got Beat by THE TIDE and The Gators in THE SWAMP..BIGGGG difference and you know that Mike...

LSU beat Georgia pretty good earlier....A team who is NOW,In reality,at least the 4th best team in America and actually much higher IMO

ohio beat psu who is a mess and gagged out a 2-td lead late

ohio gives up 6Yards Per Play......LSU gives up less than 5 Yards Per Play...Against MUCH better talent and competition!...And again you know that

LSU has given up nearly 100 less points than ohio...And again against MUCH better competition and talent...

ohio averages nearly 1 more Yard Per Play than LSU....But again against lesser outfits Overall by far and of course ohio has run close to 15 more plays a game than LSU on offense

If you gamble you understand this stuff. And the eye test..The competition....The resume......All these things....LSU would HAMMER ohio...Now....9 weeks ago.....4 weeks ago...WOULD NOT MATTER.....Their Defense would swallow whole what ohio does on Offense

And these are just some of the reasons why LSU is ranked higher. ohio is only 10 th because of of their record. Against?????....Not performance...
I'll agree....

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I want to put Wazzu and UCF ahead of LSU but when you look at the schedules that's hard to do. LSU has better wins and both losses are to highly ranked teams. I would also move WVU to 11 ahead of the Gators and PSU.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

One of the MOST ELITE QBs in the country, UCF's McKenzie Milton, has suffered a devastating leg injury...Just sickening...Hate this game sometimes...

Return to “College Sports”