It's That Time Of Year: Your OSU Football Predictions For 2017

Omega
SEOPS H

It's That Time Of Year: Your OSU Football Predictions For 2017

Post by Omega »

Fall practice has started for the Buckeyes with the opening game at Indiana less than a month away. What are your thoughts and predictions about how State will fare in 2017? Wins? Division and conference championship chances? Bowl game or playoffs?

My take is that OSU's psyche is damaged after the 31-0 loss to Clemson. I see possible growing pains with the new coaches brought in to recharge the passing game. There are unresolved O-Line questions. Throw in improving competition in the BIG, and I feel the Bucks finish 9-3 with losses to Oklahoma, Penn St, and either Iowa, Nebraska, or Michigan. That would mean no conference championship of playoff appearance, with OSU bowling in Orlando or Tampa. The best talent does not always equate to the best team.

This would be a good season in my Debbie Downer world. What say you ??

Aug 31 @IND 8:00-ESPN
Sep 9 OKLA 7:30-ABC
Sep 16 ARMY 4:30-FOX
Sep 23 UNLV TBD
Sep 30 @RUTG TBD
Oct 7 MD TBD
Oct 14 @NEB TBD
Oct 28 PSU. 3:30-FOX
Nov 4 @IOWA TBD
Nov 11 MSU. TBD
Nov 18 ILL TBD
Nov 25 @MICH. 12:00-FOX

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: It's That Time Of Year: Your OSU Football Predictions For 2017

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I can see 10-2 this year and hope for a good bowl game.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

10-2 to 12-0.

It depends on, in order:

1.) JT's ability to make plays with his ARM. Period. If he struggles, they need to plug in the next QB whether it be Burrow or Haskins.

2.) O line. They must play better than last year. Prince must really improve to shore up the right side.

3.) Defensive backs- the D line is as strong as they've had, but they are replacing several top defensive backs in Hooker, Lattimore, etc. Growing pains the first few games with these young and talent D backs. The D line must get pressure on the QB and not let them get picked apart. Biggest test is week 2 vs Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma. If we win that game, it will be a big test overcome.

4.) Mike Weber- While we may never see another Zeke style back and those types of results, Weber needs to improve his blocking, speed and fumbling problem. I look for Dobbins and McCall to be major impact players in the backfield as well.

They have tons of speed and talent, but this team is going to go as far as JTs production takes them. If defenses are allowed to stack the box and dare JT to throw (unsuccessfully) they are going to have major problems. If JT can get the passing game on track, the running game will explode with the backfield talent they have this year.

JT is a great leader and excellent runner. Against good defenses (Clemson), if we cannot successfully move the ball we will get gobbled up. A good defense cant be on the field the entire game and expect to maintain a high level of performance. Gotta be able to move the ball.

It will be interesting to see how Wilsons' wrinkle in the offense does. The B1G Defensive Coordinators have figured out ways to slow down (and stop) Urban's style of offense that he has ran since his days at BG and Utah. Wilson will bring a new look to Urban's offense and should get our playmakers in space, which we didnt do last year with Brown and Samuel.

I will expect them to win every game by 21 and be extremely disappointed if they lose. I guess that means I am a genuine Buckeye fan :)

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I think they go 12-0 Go Bucks!

Who Dey!
Showtime
Waterboy

Post by Showtime »

Kevin Wilson has proven success as an offensive coordinator. In 2008 with OU, his Sooners scored 60+ points in five straight games against Big XII schools. OU was the only school in history to have two 1000 yard rushers combined with a 4000 yard passer. His offenses there were impressive.

Then he goes to Indiana and despite his record consistently fielded quality offenses. I believe he put 9 Indiana players in the NFL (all of them offensive players) which is pretty impressive if you ask me. IU gave OSU all they could handle a couple years. The circumstances behind his firing were questionable to me.

Given the success he had in a power conference at a top program like Oklahoma, plus his ability to field solid offenses at Indiana, I think he was the best hire of the offseason and will do great things at Ohio State.

The only questions that remain are will the players respect him, and how will he handle just being a co-offensive coordinator again?

If this team plays to it's full potential, I can see Ohio State going 12-1, winning the Big Ten and playing in the CFP again.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

See where Wisconsin took a blow with one of their LBs out for the year.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I think it will end in the buckeyes and roll tide fellers in the end.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “College Sports”