BREAKING NCAAM NEWS: Ohio State names Butler's Chris Holtmann as new Mens Basketball Coach

Valenth
SEOP

BREAKING NCAAM NEWS: Ohio State names Butler's Chris Holtmann as new Mens Basketball Coach

Post by Valenth »

I think the timing of the Matta firing was HORRIBLE which really left slim pickings for the Buckeyes.

But I feel like this is an alright hire... Not HORRIBLE... But Better then Creightons head coach IMO... I do think he will do a good job for the Buckeyes

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: BREAKING NCAAM NEWS: Ohio State names Butler's Chris Holtmann as new Mens Basketball Coach

Post by Omega »

As events have unfolded, I am becoming convinced that Matta was not fired but that his resignation was gladly accepted. This left the OSU AD in a scramble to find a replacement, especially since State is not exactly a basketball blue blood. Holtmann is likely the best Gene Smith could have signed given the situation. Best of luck in the future to Matta and Holtmann.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
cbolt
SEOP

Re: BREAKING NCAAM NEWS: Ohio State names Butler's Chris Holtmann as new Mens Basketball Coach

Post by cbolt »

I agree omega! Why would they let him pick the next coach if they fired him ? I heard it was his health was the main reason .It affected his ability to get out and recruit and gave other coaches ammunition. One recruit even told him another coach told the recruit Matta was dying.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Sure seems like more to the story than we know.
The hire does he keep the current staff or bring in new? Hopefully things get worked out here soon and nothing bad comes out about Matta leaving.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I'm okay with the hire, Holtmann is a solid coach, we'll just have to wait and see what he's able to do at a Big Ten school, with how difficult the conference is. I did see that the first reports about the deal was 8 years with $3 million a year, but I haven't heard anything more about the deal.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Lol, resignations don't get paid and Gene Smith wouldn't have made himself look so terrible at the press conference if it were a resignation.

This is a very good hiring. Holtmann is a very good coach who can recruit Ohio, which has been a big issue the past few years. I wish it would have done at an earlier time, but I'm satisfied with the end result.

Return to “College Sports”